Holidays
Local
Radar
Pollen
DiagonalRedLine

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

Apologies for quality of the snap. Here's our hardy snow pile still hanging on in there being closely monitored by Harris the cat (aka The Ginger Whinger). 

_20180315_074555.JPG

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, snowidea said:

Apologies for quality of the snap. Here's our hardy snow pile still hanging on in there being closely monitored by Harris the cat (aka The Ginger Whinger). 

_20180315_074555.JPG

Cute cat :)

I'm not sure if we're doing piles or patches...oh dear what have I started?

Tomorrow night looks ok for snow for some parts of the east, if I wasn't bunged up with the lurgy I'd be excited.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Cute cat :)

I'm not sure if we're doing piles or patches...oh dear what have I started?

Tomorrow night looks ok for snow for some parts of the east, if I wasn't bunged up with the lurgy I'd be excited.

You can still lamp post watch with a hot toddy no?

You look better placed than most on the forum too so man up :rofl:

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 4

It'd skin you alive out there with that wind! Absolutely Baltic!

Some very violent gusts this morning with significant windchill at 6c One sheet onsteading roof already loose. Having an issue with broadbaand too this last week     huge crackling on phone  line and broadband is very intermittant so keep chatting to BT .I think they are still dealing with the aftermath of the last snow.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 101_North said:

Could honestly do without this weekend cold-spell, but that said I generally believe the east coast/central area snow-risk from these setups is perpetually underestimated by forecasters. I'm sure we'll the have pictures on here to prove it over the coming days, even if it is just a glancing blow.

• Like 2

Manky , filthy weather here now : really cold wind picking up and rain not exactly tropical temperature either. Just took the dog out and weirdly quite enjoyed it (Helly Hansen winter wear is unpenetrable) 

was looking the the weekend as a bit meh but starting to raise an eyebrow at the ongoing northwards nudges from all models. Last time round the models had a longer period to nudge northwards each run but as this one appeared in a shorter timeframe the nudges are more significant and noticeable. Another 50 miles north movement and more of us may join the fun .... maybe , possibly.

certainly is down to this thread to exchange thoughts as MOD too fixated on daaarwn saaauf again : whatevs

• Like 2

the weather feels exactly like before the beast earlier in month.... grey, wind getting up and a windchill to cut you in half..... maybe its a sign the northwards trend shall continue 

PS @hawesy i am actually happy to approve spring commencing on April 1st.... i think thats fair.... ive decided to be considerate of our farming friends 

• Like 7

Colder day, 4.8C at the moment - hills around here over c.200m still holding onto the snow well. 

Been very windy since last night with some right powerful gusts at times.  No sign of the sun, just lots of low grey cloud rolling through very quickly on the wind.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 101_North said:

I probably could do that but I don't drink and the nearest lamppost is miles away and out of sight :)

Having said that streetlights still help me work out if it's snowing in a way. I found at the last snowy spell that you can "see" that it's snowing by just looking outside. It becomes lighter the heavier the snow, with light from distant lampposts reflecting off the clouds and then back off the snow again. It gets to the point where you can see fairly clearly in a weird orange light.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, edo said:

the weather feels exactly like before the beast earlier in month.... grey, wind getting up and a windchill to cut you in half..... maybe its a sign the northwards trend shall continue 

PS @hawesy i am actually happy to approve spring commencing on April 1st.... i think thats fair.... ive decided to be considerate of our farming friends 

Thankfully we have enough feed to go to mid May with a very good neep crop and plenty of silage bales but others are not so fortunate especially further west.

But the weather today has had more impact with lots of branches off including an eight inch limb off the garden horse chestnut tree..Lots of trees down  in the conifer woods round about and even the Tesco shed in Forres was losing its roof sheeting. Still cool but less windy at 6c 

• Like 4

The forecast for Edinburgh for today on the Met Office website was mostly dry,,,it has been chucking it down for the last hour and no sign of letting up 🙄

• Like 1

You would think it's been excessively wet here all day but in reality it's not. Wind's not half cold though. I'm guessing the mountains are breaking up the heaviest rain a bit

Posted (edited)

Still dry here but that is some wind. Just blew my neighbours bin across the drive and into my car. Left a scratch and dent. Not happy😖. Trading it in this week and had agreed a price so hope they don't notice.

Edited by Norrance

I'm sure the media,especially the BBC don't realise that the actual current weather is occurring well in front of the forecasts.Helen Willits mentioned just now (16:30) that the rain will turn to snow on the mountains of Scotland and temperatures tomorrow in Scotland will only reach +4c.Helen,there is sleet falling near Galashiels (180m) right now,with a temperature of +4c.Even the iPhone app is showing this.But of course,Scotland is irrelevant!:fool:

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, More Snow said:

I have Sleet.... :nonono:

I expecting much more of those smileys/emojis as you experience the Scottish summer :D

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, 101_North said:

I expecting much more of those smileys/emojis as you experience the Scottish summer :D

and midges.

• Like 2

Evening all,

Pretty awful day in NE Fife, not much rain but grey, dreary and overcast with a chilling wind which was sitting at a mean speed of 30mph for much of the day. Tomorrow not looking much better.

Im not really buying any rain to snow prospects (away from high ground), we’ve been here before and I always find such events to be very rare in lowlying and coastal areas. Certainly the whole set up has shifted north in the last 24 hours and we may catch some snow showers on Saturday. Not planning any predictions at this stage as I don’t think a widespread significant snowfall at low levels is on the cards...that should help the prospects!.:D

7 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

Not planning any predictions at this stage as I don’t think a widespread significant snowfall at low levels is on the cards...that should help the prospects!.:D

Good, Hawsey - hope your prediction (prevision) is accurate :D

Roll on proper spring. The countryside needs a boost to start everything into seasonal growth and us humans to shed layers shackling clothing.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Hawesy said:

Evening all,

Pretty awful day in NE Fife, not much rain but grey, dreary and overcast with a chilling wind which was sitting at a mean speed of 30mph for much of the day. Tomorrow not looking much better.

Im not really buying any rain to snow prospects (away from high ground), we’ve been here before and I always find such events to be very rare in lowlying and coastal areas. Certainly the whole set up has shifted north in the last 24 hours and we may catch some snow showers on Saturday. Not planning any predictions at this stage as I don’t think a widespread significant snowfall at low levels is on the cards...that should help the prospects!.:D

I don't think that you will have to go too far inland though. It is already sleet to quite low levels in parts of Perthshire with snow falling on higher routes. If the precipitation continues as expected until Saturday morning these levels will come down further. I wouldn't rule out for example Sawel getting some later tomorrow in NW Dundee.

• Like 2

Still very windy with odd spits in the wind.Temperature creeping down   currently 3.5c

Posted (edited)

Greetings all!

Will be getting the padlock out ready to lock this shortly - considering how big this thread is getting, a new one is in order! Plus, there is another Beast looking to crawl into the UK 🤔

Edited by DiagonalRedLine

what a horrible morning, 2c sleet strong winds and to top it off the dog has done his knee ligaments.  I better win the euro millions tonight or there might be trouble in house. thank god it buckfast Friday tho. :drunk-emoji:

9 minutes ago, DiagonalRedLine said:

Greetings all!

Will be getting the padlock out ready to lock this shortly - considering how big this thread is getting, a new one is in order! Plus, there is another Beast looking to crawl into the UK 🤔

The padlock has been put on! New thread for ya here: