Holidays
Local
Radar
Windy?
DiagonalRedLine

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Hopefully we'll pick up a few more regulars over the next year. It was pretty good over the past year that the thread kept ticking over but the more the merrier :)

You never know I might be tempted back into a return. Maybe :D:rofl:

Can’t believe I’ve been a member on here since 2006 though! 

Edited by WhiteXmas
  • Like 7

@Hawsey, kind words indeed, and this must be the best forum around for weather and ... well anything really, almost say we are one big family.

anyhoo , light Snaw outside, but no amounting to much, the beast fir the east really delivered for most, sorry @Hairy Celt

4305922B-DAE9-449D-8FED-7815A9519760.thumb.jpg.0637f7cdf3597415e6c1f9ba8595a562.jpg

13 minutes ago, WhiteXmas said:

I remember the days! Just realised it was my 15 year anniversary of being a member last week, the days where @CatchMyDrift and I used to spam the place rotten:rofl: :santa-emoji:

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Cheggers said:

@Hawsey, kind words indeed, and this must be the best forum around for weather and ... well anything really, almost say we are one big family.

anyhoo , light Snaw outside, but no amounting to much, the beast fir the east really delivered for most, sorry @Hairy Celt

4305922B-DAE9-449D-8FED-7815A9519760.thumb.jpg.0637f7cdf3597415e6c1f9ba8595a562.jpg

So that's what the Mrs has been upto since she been away.. :rofl:

Posted (edited)

@Cheggers

She must have clocked my usual summer avatar!   Will have to add some alterations to mine this year though.......Those white bits will have to be extended down to my knees!

Getting older really sucks!!:laugh:

91c8c3dac34df1a85d3005ee32c185e6--too-funny-funny-pics.jpg

Edited by Blitzen

Can I take yer bags?

Warning: Strong language!

8 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

@Cheggers

She must have clocked my usual summer avatar!   Will have to add some alterations to mine this year though.......Those white bits will have to be extended down to my knees!

Getting older really sucks!!:laugh:

91c8c3dac34df1a85d3005ee32c185e6--too-funny-funny-pics.jpg

Ha ha ha white bits make everything more interesting and everyone should experience at least one skinny dip. 

24 minutes ago, Ross B said:

I remember the days! Just realised it was my 15 year anniversary of being a member last week, the days where @CatchMyDrift and I used to spam the place rotten:rofl: :santa-emoji:

To be fair I think I did my fair share of spamming you at one point :rofl:

1 minute ago, shuggee said:

6-10cm forecast over the Borders tomorrow? I've no energy left to check. It's like walking across dunes in the Sahara out there!

Amazon next day delivery?

stock-photo-bactrian-camel-lies-in-snow-261530873.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Blitzen said:

Amazon next day delivery?

stock-photo-bactrian-camel-lies-in-snow-261530873.jpg

Nothing worse than getting caught with camelsnow :D

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, WhiteXmas said:

To be fair I think I did my fair share of spamming you at one point :rofl:

I think the term is harassing :yahoo:

2 minutes ago, WhiteXmas said:

Nothing worse than getting caught with camelsnow :D

I had to read that twice!:laugh:

Posted (edited)

Bleak cold, grey day with snow showers on and off.  Still a few flakes coming down.  Snow now great for snowballs and sledging.  First sledging with my little girl  (aged 3).  We were away when it snowed in December and last few winters have been poor here.

Edited by howham
  • Like 8

47 minutes ago, Ross B said:

I still do :rofl:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WhiteXmas said:

You and me both before 2006 in my case but change of site and computer means the history is lost.. I would like to add to the thanks given earlier to LSS (lomond) , I always always looked for his posts and then there is really too many people to mention, so I hope you've all had a good 'un!!

• Like 3

Aye, it's been alright.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

A question for the experts. My local forecast still shows a slight frost on  almost every night for the next two weeks and daytime values which still allow snow to fall whenever we have precipitation.  This when I read that less cold air is on its way or will it never reach the north of Scotland properly? 

It really only backs my feeling that this cold has been so severe that it has cooled the ground/sea to great depth and completely thrown around the northern hemisphere  weather patterns that a very cold spring could be on the way. Our daffodils are  only half an inch through the ground and cannot be seen yet next  to north facing dykes and the recent wind and severe frosts have really burnt off all the vegetation. Pigeons today in a f lock of thousands finished off a field of late sown winter oilseed rape next to us so losses are mounting.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

A question for the experts. My local forecast still shows a slight frost on  almost every night for the next two weeks and daytime values which still allow snow to fall whenever we have precipitation.  This when I read that less cold air is on its way or will it never reach the north of Scotland properly? 

It really only backs my feeling that this cold has been so severe that it has cooled the ground/sea to great depth and completely thrown around the northern hemisphere  weather patterns that a very cold spring could be on the way. Our daffodils are  only half an inch through the ground and cannot be seen yet next  to north facing dykes and the recent wind and severe frosts have really burnt off all the vegetation. Pigeons today in a f lock of thousands finished off a field of late sown winter oilseed rape next to us so losses are mounting.

I'm not an expert but this is my tuppence worth :) It's going to be less cold but still colder than average. Snow and frost are still very likely especially across the north. Spring will probably be a while yet. Even today's 12z ECM which was on the milder side wasn't ultra-mild.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, shuggee said:

Aye, it's been alright.

Is this a joke? :shok:

Out and about for a walk with the kid this afternoon. Was heavy going trying to pull a child on a sledge over some of the drifts. Felt very cold in the biting wind with few flakes of snow blowing about.

Found a couple of dead sheep buried in drifts which is one of the big downsides of this spell. 

Its been a great winter, one that will be remembered for a long time. Much as I am a big cold weather fan I find myself starting to long for some nice spring warmth (sorry @edo)! Not seeing much in the way of that in the charts at the moment though. The last few winters gave seen snowfall here late March and even April so maybe a trend that will continue. 

This is my second winter posting in here, having lurked for a few years previous. Great fun following the thread and great banter. I'll try to stick about for the summer.

• Like 7

Ehm, you do know that everyone will need to stick around until the 'Kilted Thread Garden Snow Patch Competition' has a winner. Despite my impressive piles, I'm guessing that MoreSnow or one of the borders contingent will win out, with something surviving until mid April, especially if we don't have too much rain (which is usually the real snow killer). 

• Like 2