Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

The GFS 12z thoughts on snow chances in the East Friday into Saturday. Looks like the only real chance of any snow falling over the weekend. Looks like rain to snow as the colder air pushes in with higher ground obviously better placed. Pretty unremarkable stuff but the charts tie in fairly well with the Met forecast.

prectypeuktopo.pnguksnowrisk.png

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 4

Posted
2 hours ago, 101_North said:

The GFS 12z thoughts on snow chances in the East Friday into Saturday. Looks like the only real chance of any snow falling over the weekend. Looks like rain to snow as the colder air pushes in with higher ground obviously better placed. Pretty unremarkable stuff but the charts tie in fairly well with the Met forecast.

Yeah, think you have pretty much nailed it @101_North. After what we’ve seen this winter this barely warrants a shrug of the shoulders at this stage. :D Having said that I do admire @edo for insisting that our appetite for snow should remain intact right into.....May?

I’d be quite happy with a cold dry weekend, got to get some walking in!

• Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

The weekend looks like the Least from the East, but you never know.

When does the lowland snow patch competition start? Pics were taken this afternoon:

Still some patches in coastal NE Fife but they are dwindling now, can’t match what you still have.

Posted

A very bleak day  dull windy and cool with a maximum of 7c .Absolutely no sign of anything green in the countryside. Currently 5.5c  Still a few small patches of drifts in sheltered spots. Only positive is that the ground is slowly drying up.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
1 hour ago, CatchMyDrift said:

The weekend looks like the Least from the East, but you never know.

When does the lowland snow patch competition start? Pics were taken this afternoon:

20180314_165423.thumb.jpg.e56037707b3957df245ffd36924d4f53.jpg20180314_163924.thumb.jpg.4862b0e416f6547a88f7b89f98c44579.jpg20180314_164314.thumb.jpg.3adaa7673baa7af7e317c9bf0fe51816.jpg20180314_173253.thumb.jpg.6ed841cf370b8a6cf9a4acd5162fbfb6.jpg20180314_170128.thumb.jpg.c2655ab431d19d69e52aee43e4ebe927.jpg

Caithness might play that game, but what counts as lowland?

Me snaw symbols have been replaced with poxy sleet ones.. that's it I'm done with this winter now its been over a week since it last snawed. bring me my Spring :rofl:

Posted
1 hour ago, CatchMyDrift said:

150m or lower? 

Pfft. 150m is arctic hinterland! 150 feet at the most! :D

Posted

Looks like the ECM, GFS and ICON models are all showing a northwards trend for this weekend. Wouldn't take a huge amount more northern correction over the next day or so to put the central belt firmly back in the game.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Arbitration needed here... 

I saw one very determined drift yesterday, right by the A9 on the south side of the Dornoch Firth, just above the strand line. Other drifts on higher untreated roads still a big nuisance in Sutherland. 

Still really gusty this morning. Chimney's whistling again. 

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....
  • Very blustery up here too Hairy Celt, temp around 7c but dry. Hope you guys in the far East have been panic buying bread and milk! Hate to think of you all with empty freezers and huddled round a candle for warmth! :cold::D
Edited by mistyqueen
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

Apologies for quality of the snap. Here's our hardy snow pile still hanging on in there being closely monitored by Harris the cat (aka The Ginger Whinger). 

_20180315_074555.JPG

• Like 3

Posted
14 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Cute cat :)

I'm not sure if we're doing piles or patches...oh dear what have I started?

Tomorrow night looks ok for snow for some parts of the east, if I wasn't bunged up with the lurgy I'd be excited.

You can still lamp post watch with a hot toddy no?

You look better placed than most on the forum too so man up :rofl:

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 4

Posted

Some very violent gusts this morning with significant windchill at 6c One sheet onsteading roof already loose. Having an issue with broadbaand too this last week     huge crackling on phone  line and broadband is very intermittant so keep chatting to BT .I think they are still dealing with the aftermath of the last snow.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.
2 hours ago, 101_North said:

You can still lamp post watch with a hot toddy no?

You look better placed than most on the forum too so man up :rofl:

Could honestly do without this weekend cold-spell, but that said I generally believe the east coast/central area snow-risk from these setups is perpetually underestimated by forecasters. I'm sure we'll the have pictures on here to prove it over the coming days, even if it is just a glancing blow.

• Like 2

Posted

Manky , filthy weather here now : really cold wind picking up and rain not exactly tropical temperature either. Just took the dog out and weirdly quite enjoyed it (Helly Hansen winter wear is unpenetrable) 

was looking the the weekend as a bit meh but starting to raise an eyebrow at the ongoing northwards nudges from all models. Last time round the models had a longer period to nudge northwards each run but as this one appeared in a shorter timeframe the nudges are more significant and noticeable. Another 50 miles north movement and more of us may join the fun .... maybe , possibly.

certainly is down to this thread to exchange thoughts as MOD too fixated on daaarwn saaauf again : whatevs

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

the weather feels exactly like before the beast earlier in month.... grey, wind getting up and a windchill to cut you in half..... maybe its a sign the northwards trend shall continue 

PS @hawesy i am actually happy to approve spring commencing on April 1st.... i think thats fair.... ive decided to be considerate of our farming friends 

• Like 7

Posted

Colder day, 4.8C at the moment - hills around here over c.200m still holding onto the snow well. 

Been very windy since last night with some right powerful gusts at times.  No sign of the sun, just lots of low grey cloud rolling through very quickly on the wind.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, edo said:

the weather feels exactly like before the beast earlier in month.... grey, wind getting up and a windchill to cut you in half..... maybe its a sign the northwards trend shall continue 

PS @hawesy i am actually happy to approve spring commencing on April 1st.... i think thats fair.... ive decided to be considerate of our farming friends 

Thankfully we have enough feed to go to mid May with a very good neep crop and plenty of silage bales but others are not so fortunate especially further west.

But the weather today has had more impact with lots of branches off including an eight inch limb off the garden horse chestnut tree..Lots of trees down  in the conifer woods round about and even the Tesco shed in Forres was losing its roof sheeting. Still cool but less windy at 6c 

• Like 4

Posted

You would think it's been excessively wet here all day but in reality it's not. Wind's not half cold though. I'm guessing the mountains are breaking up the heaviest rain a bit

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Still dry here but that is some wind. Just blew my neighbours bin across the drive and into my car. Left a scratch and dent. Not happy?. Trading it in this week and had agreed a price so hope they don't notice.

Edited by Norrance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather in winter

I'm sure the media,especially the BBC don't realise that the actual current weather is occurring well in front of the forecasts.Helen Willits mentioned just now (16:30) that the rain will turn to snow on the mountains of Scotland and temperatures tomorrow in Scotland will only reach +4c.Helen,there is sleet falling near Galashiels (180m) right now,with a temperature of +4c.Even the iPhone app is showing this.But of course,Scotland is irrelevant!:fool:

• Like 2

Posted
54 minutes ago, More Snow said:

I have Sleet.... :nonono:

I expecting much more of those smileys/emojis as you experience the Scottish summer :D

• Like 2