Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

I blame More Snow. This is all his fault. Since he moved up here it has hardly ever stopped snowing. Could he please move back doon south for the summer!!  :rofl::rofl:  I remember snow in June one year  and I DON'T WANT IT AGAIN!

• Like 3

Posted

The models do seem very confident about the chances of another cold blast. Interesting that they have upgraded so quickly this time around. I'm sure most would not want a straight repeat of Beast1, and the impact on people, animals, crops etc. 

Personally a wee bit of snow followed by some cold sunny days will do for me, and an elongated season for the ski centres.

However I do reserve the right to get more excited as the week goes on :cold:

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
1 hour ago, ploughboy said:

The models do seem very confident about the chances of another cold blast. Interesting that they have upgraded so quickly this time around. I'm sure most would not want a straight repeat of Beast1, and the impact on people, animals, crops etc. 

Personally a wee bit of snow followed by some cold sunny days will do for me, and an elongated season for the ski centres.

However I do reserve the right to get more excited as the week goes on :cold:

ummmmmmmm yes please

i do have sympathy for our farming friends but i could happily have one more wee blast then spring can/should/must happen

• Like 2

Posted

The thermometer may read 7C (positively tropical for here compared to the last few months) but it feels really cold thanks to the damp atmosphere.  Very dull with light winds and occasional showers of heavy drizzle.  IF the models have it right, the next bout of snow is going to catch out a lot of people.

• Like 1

Posted
5 hours ago, Northernlights said:

Not that unusal for snow in March or even April especially up here but its the depth of  predicted cold in the models for the South that must be very rare and if it was to happen then both wildlife and plant life would take a big knock down there. Most of our garden and fields are still in winter mode. The farm has always been run on the basis of a seven month winter.Currently 4c  dull and damp.

A quick update auctioneer and  Shepherd from Applecross  in this morning both telling stories of artic lorryloads of hay coming up from Colchester to Skye this week. A lot of animals will have to be turned out in April even if there is no grass to graze as straw for bedding nearly all used up. The problem started last summer with hardly two dry days in a row in spite of just average rainfall carried on into autumn with a wet harvest hence lot of straw never baled and cattle housed early because they were destroying grass fields.Even large scale arable farms will be in trouble this spring as a lot of fieldwork still not possible and no winter ploughing done.Doing everything with minimal labour and machines is not the right thing to be doing in the face of such difficult weather conditions.Late sowing into May will incur yield reductions A lot of it has to do with the lack of drying days with wind instead we have had a lot of misty drizzly days in the last nine months.

Still dull misty and drizzly and currently 6c

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Dry, mostly cloudy with some sunny spells 6.6C / 989.9hpa

Posted

i woild have said not but with these uppers and increased sun strength now then maybe could be quite a bit of potential in beast 2 

not sure about sea temps though which may be cooler following beast 1 and may hinder convection 

hopefully someone knowledgeable will come along and help 

Screenshot_20180312-185718.png

• Like 2

Posted

I must officially be ageing as I am struggling to whip up any enthusiasm at the prospect of another easterly incursion, even a modified version of what we’ve just had. Not that that means much to the weather, of course! :D

Will obviously need watching this week, just in case I have to get together another set of snow total predictions! 

Not much of a day here, grey and cool, max 6c.

March mean currently sitting anything from 2.5 to 4.5c below average! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Crap day here, dull, drizzly, cool, misty, moisty, damp, dreich PISH.

Spring please. Tomorrow.

I would say, 'Take yer useless easterlies and shove 'em....' but I'm far too polite :)

• Like 3

Posted

Shurely that should be "shovel 'em"?!

No desire for more here, although making 40 snow days would be cute.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!
1 hour ago, Hawesy said:

I must officially be ageing as I am struggling to whip up any enthusiasm at the prospect of another easterly incursion, even a modified version of what we’ve just had. Not that that means much to the weather, of course! :D

Hawesy son, you have no stamina!! Where's yer sense of adventure? Channel yer inner Capt Scott! :cold:

• Like 1

Posted

Yesterday wasn't too bad here quite a bit of sun not much wind. Today far cloudier but not particulairy cold

Posted
56 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Crap day here, dull, drizzly, cool, misty, moisty, damp, dreich PISH.

Spring please. Tomorrow.

I would say, 'Take yer useless easterlies and shove 'em....' but I'm far too polite :)

could lead to a more useful northerly for yerself

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow
4 minutes ago, More Snow said:

Bring me my beast 2... I want more snaw..:yahoo:

Naw! You have had enough! :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW :-D
3 hours ago, edo said:

i woild have said not but with these uppers and increased sun strength now then maybe could be quite a bit of potential in beast 2 

not sure about sea temps though which may be cooler following beast 1 and may hinder convection 

hopefully someone knowledgeable will come along and help 

Screenshot_20180312-185718.png

EFB Part 2 surely it won't be as bad as Part 1? ?  if it is bring it on?❄️

Edited by Allyw12
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
1 hour ago, edo said:

could lead to a more useful northerly for yerself

It might, true, but it doesn't really have the look of a proper wintry northerly, so I'll save my hopes till November now. Besides, we don't want grumpy farmers...

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, More Snow said:

Just put me order for more logs and coal coming tomorrow and going for bread and milk tomorrow too..:rofl:

And Buckfast?...

Posted

Can anyone in/near Galashiels advise how bad the roads were following the earlier "Beast"?  I am spending the day there on Sunday... weather permitting, and don't want to be stranded!

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, pdiddy said:

Can anyone in/near Galashiels advise how bad the roads were following the earlier "Beast"?  I am spending the day there on Sunday... weather permitting, and don't want to be stranded!

My relatives stay in Hawick which is about 15 miles south of Galashiels and they were snowed in for a few days but this upcoming spell won't be a carbon copy and still plenty of time for change before Sunday. Probably best to assess it on Friday and see how it's looking at that point when the weekend's weather will be more clear. 

Photos of Hawick below: 

IMG_8796.PNG

IMG_8797.PNG

IMG_8798.PNG

• Like 3