Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

@Hairy Celt, yep, they're very common in the Moffat & Tweedsmuir hills, and even over to the west in the Lowther hills where the big estate owners have a reputation for killing everything but grouse, they're all over the place. I think they're amazingly resilient creatures, they're pretty bright so know when to keep their heads down, and so fast that they can almost always escape from fox and mink.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Dreich. Cold rain 4.2C March is turning into a pretty wet month already.

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Hawesy said:

Morning all, once again fantastic photos, people.

However let’s put all talk of another beast on the back burner shall we? Quite aside from @Northernlights insights into the impact on the farming industry, from a personal point of view I’m walking the Rob Roy Way for charity in two weeks time and I don’t want to have to dig myself out of the tent!

10c and sunshine from the 24th, please! :D

Not much of that on offer today. Dreich and damp currently , 5c.

I see there is an article in the Press and Journal farming section today advising farmers to prepare for a late spring.

The Scottish governments weather resiliance committee must behind this with them seeing what we are seeing in the models

Currently raining and 4.5c. Am seeing a few farmers ploughing today another sign of anxiety when the ground must be far to wet to plough and normally they would never start but the wet autumn and winter have held up this operation so there is still a lot to do.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

And here's the extended edition of yesterday morning's shot. Fairburn windfarm is visible on the horizon to the west, as are the big shiny tanks (or whatever they're called) of the infamous local brewery. A couple of the houses are new but most are much older. The furthest west hills are the east end of the north Strathfarrer range - superb hills at any time of year, unfortunately with access restricted by estates with antique attitudes to public access to the land. (No apologies for the rant.)

No views like that today, it's grim oop north.

extended edition.jpg

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

wet wet wet... not the band but the weather today :bad: 5.0C/ 5.4mm so far today

• Like 1

Posted

This time last week I was having a wee drinkies and got a bit giddy....

Using the mop I chopped down icicles from the back of the cottage, planted them in the snow and requisitioned the pizza cutter for a starring role, to discover an icy new world:

IMG_20180303_224724.thumb.jpg.84cef928ccaa42b51dd20ec3c158a00a.jpg

:laugh: :ninja:

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

Ick wet, cold rubbish day here and snow pile taking a hammering from the rain 

Posted
22 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

@moffatross- nice spot with the hares! Are they common on the hills down your way?

I had a wee hunt for Mountain Hares earlier this year, on separate occasions, in Glen Muick, The Lecht, Cairn o Mount and Glen Shee,  with absolutely no luck. Four or five years ago they were all over the place.

Posted
28 minutes ago, ciel said:

I had a wee hunt for Mountain Hares earlier this year, on separate occasions, in Glen Muick, The Lecht, Cairn o Mount and Glen Shee,  with absolutely no luck. Four or five years ago they were all over the place.

Came up over the Cairn o Mount 2 years  ago after the Spring Show at the end of February to be greeted by what looked like an army on manouvres with tracked vehicles ,guns and camouflaged clothing.  Was obviously a massive white hare shoot on a scale I have never seen before with literally hundreds of keepers and guns. They were going to be taking no prisoners on that scale of shoot.

Very wet here overnight but damp dull and misty now and currently 5c, The screws are slowly being turned on the farming scene by the weather just now especially if the cold spell materialises next week.. The peak lambing and calving will soon be happening. Lots of farmers  try to lamb or calve inside and soon as the young are drinking and on their feet put them outside to minimise cross animal infections but putting them out into cold wet weather does mother and offspring no favours and increases food consumption.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

Came up over the Cairn o Mount 2 years  ago after the Spring Show at the end of February to be greeted by what looked like an army on manouvres with tracked vehicles ,guns and camouflaged clothing.  Was obviously a massive white hare shoot on a scale I have never seen before with literally hundreds of keepers and guns. They were going to be taking no prisoners on that scale of shoot.

I can believe that, NL. The "estates" around here have a very bad reputation in respect of conservation. Numerous raptors have gone missing in the Angus Glens. One particular incident comes to mind from a year or two ago in which a tree, in Glen Esk, hosting a Sea Eagle's nest was simply chopped down.

Posted

Today's graft:

• Tomatoes x 4 varieties sown
  • Leeks sown
  • Six sets of bulbs planted in earthenware tubs
  • Herbs x 3 varieties sown

Cottage doors wide open, cats in and out. Spring! :D

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Not as warm as forecast here with a max of 7.0C. Still pleasant enough in the sun and the highest March temp to date.

Posted

Dull day here but dry with patches of low cloud.A maximum of 6c and currently 4c. Ground pretty wet again after last nights rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Disappointing day here, few glimpses of sun but mainly mist. Wish we could get some real sunshine, I want to get into the garden.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

We managed a max of 5C under a heavy grey blanket today, but I wasn't that bothered by the cold - was chopping wood most of the day. About ready for next winter now, onwards to the following winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

felt quite pleasant here today after the atrocious freezing torrential rain yesterday.... poor wee kids at football were toiling.... 4c and cold breeze and torrential rain is so much worse than - 4 and snowing 

Posted

I actually can't believe what the models are showing this morning. The possibility of beast 2 is well and truly on! Some models have the easterly in by T96, but GFS, UKMO and ECM all got some variation of theme of cold weather from the east, with a retrogression and a motherly setting in afterwards. I honestly don't believe it.... it can't, can it? 

• Like 5

Miserable morning here, dull damp and 3c looking at the rest of the week it would seem a drop in temps toward the weekend and snaw is in the forecast Friday night into Saturday morning. we shall see. happy Monday everybody and I hope you all have a great week.

Posted

Not that unusal for snow in March or even April especially up here but its the depth of  predicted cold in the models for the South that must be very rare and if it was to happen then both wildlife and plant life would take a big knock down there. Most of our garden and fields are still in winter mode. The farm has always been run on the basis of a seven month winter.Currently 4c  dull and damp.

• Like 3

Posted

Hello all

Interesting to see the prospect of another potentially snowy spell on the horizon.  As always with these things however, 'I'll believe it when I see it', especially here :)  I was really nervous about the spell just passed, purely because snow here (especially deep snow) is not to be taken for granted given its rarity.  However, NL makes a good point about how nature would be affected by unseasonable weather.  I also volunteer on the Strathspey Railway at Aviemore, and I'm sure they wouldn't appreciate snow just as they are ready to open for the season.

Tim

Edited by TinyTim
  • Like 1