Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Nevis Range has had a good dump today, Ski Centre was closed due to high winds but the next few days before the weekend look good on the hill with more settled weather forecast

20180306_173313.thumb.jpg.1e78218399d9659d8df5619a8faef2e3.jpg20180306_174508.thumb.jpg.ed156906f43022ae614396db44e0d24c.jpg

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 8

Posted
 I think I have   this said before but with a few chilly weeks in front of us I think it is worth repeating.

Ever since I was kid in the sixties March has always been a winter month on the farm. as the last of the winter cold drains out of the arctic. Its nearly always the hungriest month for wildlife too. The incidence of north and east winds is at its highest in the spring and these are cold directions especially with sea temperatures at their lowest  plus the extra cooling from last weeks "Beast".which I read online has  reduced the temperature of the North Sea by 3c in just a few days .

Thus the north of Scotland has always been known for its cold springs. My mother who was a Londoner always used to say "Spring doesn"t happen in Scotland summer arrives on the 1st of June". So far this spring is looking like its going to be on the cold side.
 Currently 1c and sleet.
  • Like 4

Posted

Impressive (if that is the right term) amount of rain has fallen around Westhill and environs the last couple of days.

Snag_1aa94c5.thumb.png.afd57896664be417b836a7f68121b1f3.png

http://apps.sepa.org.uk/rainfall/

No wonder the local roads are badly flooded.  Mind you, if that precipitation had fallen as snow the chaos would have been even worse.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
19 minutes ago, Northernlights said:
 I think I have   this said before but with a few chilly weeks in front of us I think it is worth repeating.

Ever since I was kid in the sixties March has always been a winter month on the farm. as the last of the winter cold drains out of the arctic. Its nearly always the hungriest month for wildlife too. The incidence of north and east winds is at its highest in the spring and these are cold directions especially with sea temperatures at their lowest  plus the extra cooling from last weeks "Beast".which I read online has  reduced the temperature of the North Sea by 3c in just a few days .

Thus the north of Scotland has always been known for its cold springs. My mother who was a Londoner always used to say "Spring doesn"t happen in Scotland summer arrives on the 1st of June". So far this spring is looking like its going to be on the cold side.
 Currently 1c and sleet.

I remember first reading you writng that over 10 years ago and thinking, yup, he's right. And pretty well every year confirms it. I can't remember exactly which year it was (maybe 2011ish) but I was still out in hat and gloves well into June, and it wouldn't surprise me if this year's the same.

What we shouldn't forget is that the arctic is dwindling year by year as a cold pool. The spell we've just experienced would have been sniffed at in 1947 or 1963, and those winters' cold could just not be maintained now. For snow-lovers, the past week has been a pleasant experience, but lets not kid ourselves that our children or grandchildren will be experiencing the same in 50 years' time.

2C and heavy rain in Thurso now.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Hairy Celt said:

I remember first reading you writng that over 10 years ago and thinking, yup, he's right. And pretty well every year confirms it. I can't remember exactly which year it was (maybe 2011ish) but I was still out in hat and gloves well into June, and it wouldn't surprise me if this year's the same.

What we shouldn't forget is that the arctic is dwindling year by year as a cold pool. The spell we've just experienced would have been sniffed at in 1947 or 1963, and those winters' cold could just not be maintained now. For snow-lovers, the past week has been a pleasant experience, but lets not kid ourselves that our children or grandchildren will be experiencing the same in 50 years' time.

2C and heavy rain in Thurso now.

While my interest in weather especially winter weather keeps my mind  occupied the farmer in me is starting to get thoughtful !! What if we wait till well into April to sow or May to get cattle onto grass then lower yields and more expense feeding cattle looms.

With regards to future generations when I am feeling fairly sanguine i think we  humans have  another 100 years on the planet but when I am really hacked off by weather conditions and a grumpy old farmer I think it may only be 50 years before food production in the temperate zone is compromised by weather conditions.

• Like 1

Posted

44mm of rainfall at Leuchars so far this month. That’s an awful lot, the March average is 50mm. Wet days (>25mm/1 inch) are rare over here. There’s only been one (in June 2017) at Leuchars in the last calendar year. Having lived in NE Fife/Dundee for 13 years now, I can confirm it’s a different world from Glasgow! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
58 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

44mm of rainfall at Leuchars so far this month. That’s an awful lot, the March average is 50mm. Wet days (>25mm/1 inch) are rare over here. There’s only been one (in June 2017) at Leuchars in the last calendar year. Having lived in NE Fife/Dundee for 13 years now, I can confirm it’s a different world from Glasgow! 

One of my daughters moved from Dundee to Glasgow a couple of years ago and that is her main gripe. She loves the place but cannot get used to the rain. My brother has similar feelings having moved to Bearsden from Edinburgh 2 years ago. Being a very keen golfer he has had to get used to playing with the waterproofs on. Actually not done too badly for snow this year though.

Re rain. My gauge shows 37mms today rain and snow equivalent. Seems high but if correct along with 18mms yesterday it makes for a very wet couple of days. Huge puddles on some of the roads, partly from snowmelt.

Edited by Norrance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw
5 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Fog and rain for days on end. Horrible end to the snowy spell. It feels like a huge waste.

Snawcrete to start forming the night by the looks of it.

Freeze thaw cycle incoming.

Posted
4 hours ago, Benvironment said:

You can never say for certain....but the chances are excellent this year. Not only has there been shedloads of snow, we've had the occasional (and importantly, brief) thaw to the summits, which are needed if the snow in the coires etc is to compact and expel the air. Spring is looking cool as well, which bodes well.

In other news......we have just this moment been dug out after six days stranded on the hill.

P1180269.jpg

I think there may well be snow patches surviving longer than usual on west-facing aspects this year, given that some areas such as the Cairngorms seem to have had blizzard conditions on generally easterly winds for about a week now, and there was heavy snow from the north-east winds in December.  

Before I started properly paying attention to mountain weather, I assumed that easterly winds filled the windward east-facing aspects of the hills, whereas they actually drive huge quantities of snow across plateaux and summits into gullies and corries on the lee slopes, and don’t fill the windward areas to the same extent.  Of course, southerly and westerly aspects lose snow more quickly than east and north-facing aspects, and the main long-lying and ‘perennial’ snow sites are on the latter.  Given the relative lack this winter of big westerly/south-westerly storms with rain at low levels, but copious quantities of snow at high altitude, it will be interesting to see how the usual long-lying snow sites fare.

For the reasons you give, there should be interest long into the back end of the year, though.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
15 minutes ago, Spindrift2017 said:

I think there may well be snow patches surviving longer than usual on west-facing aspects this year, given that some areas such as the Cairngorms seem to have had blizzard conditions on generally easterly winds for about a week now, and there was heavy snow from the north-east winds in December.  

Before I started properly paying attention to mountain weather, I assumed that easterly winds filled the windward east-facing aspects of the hills, whereas they actually drive huge quantities of snow across plateaux and summits into gullies and corries on the lee slopes, and don’t fill the windward areas to the same extent.  Of course, southerly and westerly aspects lose snow more quickly than east and north-facing aspects, and the main long-lying and ‘perennial’ snow sites are on the latter.  Given the relative lack this winter of big westerly/south-westerly storms with rain at low levels, but copious quantities of snow at high altitude, it will be interesting to see how the usual long-lying snow sites fare.

For the reasons you give, there should be interest long into the back end of the year, though.

The key thing though as you say is the West SWerlies as they load the NE facing Corries. Late Easterly Winters or early Springs are good for general cover and as you say patches lasting longer than usual on W/SW aspects but few have any chance of lasting past Summer. A good example is 2001 which had Easterly snow in late Winter but ended up not a particularly good year for survival. 2010 with the very deep general cover likewise did not do too well later in the year as there was so little drifting. 2014 was a good example of Westerlies bringing huge drifts to the right areas despite temps being above average throughout the Winter. Crucially apart from one short spell in Dec 2013 there were no really warm spells followed by a cold Spring. The Winter average temp in Highland Scotland in 13/14 was the same as 16/17 but the latter had huge swings in temp and big thaws resulting in no survivals.

If I recall correctly the drifts on Carn a Caim nearly made it 2014 despite facing W/NW.

This year has had a mix of cold Westerlies followed by the late Easterlies so it will be interesting esp as there could be quite a bit of snow to come.

• Like 4

Posted

We've had the rain/snow/wind last week and a bit and now the fog

Posted
9 hours ago, Norrance said:

One of my daughters moved from Dundee to Glasgow a couple of years ago and that is her main gripe. She loves the place but cannot get used to the rain. My brother has similar feelings having moved to Bearsden from Edinburgh 2 years ago. Being a very keen golfer he has had to get used to playing with the waterproofs on. Actually not done too badly for snow this year though.

Re rain. My gauge shows 37mms today rain and snow equivalent. Seems high but if correct along with 18mms yesterday it makes for a very wet couple of days. Huge puddles on some of the roads, partly from snowmelt.

Yes it’s a different world! 

:D

Looking at the Leuchars figures I’d say your rain gauge numbers look fine. It has been very wet and with your location you’d expect a bit of additional rainfall on top of what’s been recorded at Leuchars.

Dry this morning but 0c so ice a definite risk.

Edited by Hawesy
  • Like 1

Posted

Nevis Range just now, Should be some great conditions up there later ☺

20180307_072143.thumb.jpg.e1db7e44e52152e0ee70fd3d407c1190.jpg

Will take another picture when the suns up properly..

• Like 9

Posted

Road into Thornton from Kirkcaldy was flooded last night. Woke this morning to frost and bright sunshine. Feels pleasant in the garden and already a little warmth in the sun.

Hope it lasts.

Edited by frogesque
  • Like 2

A cold start here this morning with a thick fog that is now clearing to allow some sunshine to come out, thaw is on at a rapid pace but I just got that feeling that winter aint done with us just yet :drunk-emoji:

Posted

Cracking start to the day, mainly blue skies and first sunshine since last Wednesday, light winds and temperature 2C.  If the sun stays out and the wind stays light its going to feel very pleasant outside today :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Dull dreich here so far but the joiner fixing my door says it's sunny in Hawick. Snow really taken a shift but still lying thick apart from cleared roads.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Sun was most welcome this morning at 7.30 but now it has gone bye-bye and left us in this gloop!

2.4c/2.4c/ENE

static_weathercams.php.jpg

Edited by Blitzen

Posted

Nice sunny spring day - except for the ice which was bad this morning! Snow cover is rapidly disappearing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

No ice and now not much  snow in Caithness after heavy rain in the first part of the night. We have the fog though. 4C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Sunshine. Birds tweeting in the trees. Daffs pushing up. Mrs SS collecting snowdrops again for the hoose.

Nice.

@CatchMyDrift Aye, roads were skating rinks this morning in places.

Not weather related, but check oot the size of this.

That's big enough tae lift @Hairy Celt aff a moor.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-43307984

Camera trap snaps sea eagle with road-kill stag

_100304387_2cdd2bd1-3f52-4ed4-8a00-acb45

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 9