Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

absolutely torrential rain here.... incredibly miserable.... nice surprise  for many it seems. this morning though... ventusky was determined it was going to be snowing here this morning and on further inspection it was pulling its data from the icon.... hmmmmm although it was the darling of the MT for a while 

Posted
30 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Pretty sure Livingston isn't 100mtrs above sea level, forecasting mistake I think?

It ranges between 120m and 180m above sea level in a fairly short distance. I heard on the radio that the M8 between bathgate and Livingston is down to one lane due to the snow aswell. Looks like it's just getting progressively worse on the traffic cams

but as you say, still a pretty important mis-calculation by MetO 

IMG_8735.PNG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Ruzzi said:

It ranges between 120m and 180m above sea level in a fairly short distance. I heard on the radio that the M8 between bathgate and Livingston is down to one lane due to the snow aswell. Looks like it's just getting progressively worse on the traffic cams

but as you say, still a pretty important mis-calculation by MetO 

IMG_8735.PNG

thats an amber warning if i ever saw one !

• Like 5

Posted

I watched the forecast late last night and I didnt get any indication of disruptive snow in the central belt for rush hour.

Bit of a surprise?

• Like 2

BBC have me down for 8 hours of heavy snaw from midday onwards. not holding my breath as I tend to find the BBC forecast is about as much use as a handbrake on a canoe lately.

Posted

8cm here since I peeped out of the kitchen window at 5.45am.C

Snow day 37 :D

• Like 6

Posted
14 hours ago, Hawesy said:

@CatchMyDrift @Ravelin I remember the January 1987 easterly ended the same way.....days of cold grey and drizzle, though I don’t remember there being such heavy rain. I suppose it’s the price you pay for an easterly snowfest given for the rest of the year an easterly usually brings murk and gloom with it (on the coast at least). A nice quick build of high pressure overhead would have been ideal!

@Cheggers Just rain, I think. Any meaningful snow should be restricted to higher ground north of the central belt.

Awful day of weather in NE Fife compounded by the Dundee-St Andrews road being closed for a while just in time for the evening commute. :closedeyes:

@Hawesy Your fired :cold::rofl: Heavy snow, M80 closed again, good inch covering when I left the house. 

Posted

Carnage on the locally roads with cars sliding everywhere and a couple of coaches stuck on a hill. Of course with all the snow piles from last week there is little room for manoeuvre! Looks like about 3-4cm or so.

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 2

Posted
19 minutes ago, JoeShmoe said:

thats an amber warning if i ever saw one !

Certainly warranted more than a yellow warning for snow above 200m and heavy rain elsewhere ?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis
3 minutes ago, Cheggers said:

@Hawesy Your fired :cold::rofl: Heavy snow, M80 closed again, good inch covering when I left the house. 

jeez, is it closed again?!

Posted

Early rain turned to sleet now turning to sloppy wet sticky snow. Cars starting to get covered but cleared road and paths ok.

We are only 60m asl or thereby and just a few miles from the coast. This is insane for March.

Edited by frogesque

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Frost and Thunderstorms

Wasn’t expecting to wake up to this. Got the impression it was only to snow higher up. 

0E653581-0D74-478C-AD4B-BEFD0FCEBF6A.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted
8 minutes ago, Cheggers said:

Just shows the unpredictability. I'm sure the Met Office would have gone Amber if this was predicted. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Just pi shin rain so far here but noticeably the temp has dropped a degree in the last hour and there is a hint of sleetiness  in the rain. Loads of surface water and much disappeared snow this morning.

Edited by Norrance

Posted
25 minutes ago, BurntFishTrousers said:

jeez, is it closed again?!

Checking cameras and looks busy but unsure, just what has been said here in factory. Still falling here in Camelon which is near enough sea level.

Buses now not using M77

Posted

Sleety pish at 8 am has turned to heavy snaw. All melted areas are now white again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Colder air must be slowly moving North. It has turned to snow here in last 10 minutes but not lying.

Posted

2C and heavy rain at the moment, will be interesting to see if this converts to snow as the day goes on.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

I can’t believe the weather sometimes, I totally didn’t expect this. There was only a few patches of snow left from last week when I went to bed last night and now I have around 4 inches of fresh snow this morning. I have lost count how many days I have had snow here this winter, we are now into March and it just keeps on giving. I couldn’t get my son to school as the roads are terrible so time to go sledging again :)

Hopefully the roads are cleared later before I go to work. I already missed two days last week and don’t want to be off again! 

• Like 6