Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
4 minutes ago, grifter said:

Seemed to be quite a few places getting it, snow is big wet flakes. My road was whiteout in about 15 mins

Heavy wet snow here, accumulating on all surfaces.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Woah, busy day yesterday and missed the charts and warning saying rain.

Certainly isn't rain, hammering down with snow and a very busy radar..

• Like 3

Posted

WTF?? Snow is hammering down here! Everything is covered! I was not expecting that!!!

• Like 3

Posted

Dry here for the time being. Radar indicating snow. Thaw appears to have stalled overnight.  Grey sky and a biting breeze from the east. Temp 0C.

Nothing to do with the weather, but was checking my bank a/c this morning to discover HMRC has refunded all the IT paid in January. Anyone else affected in this way? Could it be due to the devolution of IT tax matters to Scotland and associated changes to tax code etc?  I don't have time to deal with this today.:cc_confused: 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

State of play from the radar with some intensity slowly tracking up the east coast on a slight NNW steering.

image.thumb.png.c9d8848513809db68b38fbfd44c1d04d.pngimage.thumb.png.c6d1ca64a57faf878662f34023cb8214.png

Fax mess... someone omitted the 528 Dam line..

image.thumb.png.663cfa8080bd2b58942c8085e4a596de.png

Meto Chief forecaster assessment mentions that this band becomes slow moving, weakening later in the day. Now given that it mentions slow moving and also the programmed precip above - and that it seems the snow level is 100m or so lower than forecast - makes for some interesting viewing if the slow moving becomes a stall across the central belt..

Chief Forecaster's assessment

A band of rain and hill snow is expected to push north across Scotland during the early part of Tuesday, becoming slow moving, before weakening through the day. 5-10 cm of snow is likely to accumulate over higher routes, such as the A9, above 200 m, with 10-15 cm possible on the highest routes above 400 m. Below 200 m rain is expected and 20-30 mm is possible along eastern coastal regions. This rain combined with snow melt may lead to some surface flooding of roads.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, ciel said:

Dry here for the time being. Radar indicating snow. Thaw appears to have stalled overnight.  Grey sky and a biting breeze from the east. Temp 0C.

Nothing to do with the weather, but was checking my bank a/c this morning to discover HMRC has refunded all the IT paid in January. Anyone else affected in this way? Could it be due to the devolution of IT tax matters to Scotland and associated changes to tax code etc?  I don't have time to deal with this today.:cc_confused: 

Quickest way to deal with HMRC is to use the live chat.  I also find the staff covering it are better than those on the phone

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

What is falling here seems to be rain, sleet at best. Lying snow has really taken a battering due to the rain but is hanging on for grim death. Grass showing though in places again though. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Been snowing here since 6am, road all covered again and husband says no sign of a gritter on the A7 so far.

• Like 1

Posted

Can confirm snow here too, about an inch accumulated, although seems to be more further east. I expected some wet snow this morning but I thought it would quickly turn sleety but it doesn't seem to want to 

• Like 1

Posted

Looks like the M8 at Livingston is starting to struggle 

IMG_8732.PNG

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Rain/sleet out West here currently in Fort William, With plenty of snow falling on the mountains. A day indoors with feet up me thinks..

Temp 3c.

Posted
6 minutes ago, Ruzzi said:

Looks like the M8 at Livingston is starting to struggle 

IMG_8732.PNG

Pretty sure Livingston isn't 100mtrs above sea level, forecasting mistake I think?

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Pretty sure Livingston isn't 100mtrs above sea level, forecasting mistake I think?

It's a bit higher than 100m I think. 150 springs to mind for the center. However you are correct in highlighting the forecast! A big miss with the snow levels.

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 2

Posted

Snow still pelting down here at 140m. Probably just over an inch settled in the last hour.

• Like 1

Posted

The heavy snow continues believe it or not as so many have said. Was raining up to about half past 6 though

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Heavy rain just turning to snow here.   Feels really cold this morning with a very gusty wind.

static_weathercams.php.jpg

• Like 1

Posted

Snow line seems to be dropping here at Fort Will.

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep, deep snow.

Fairly heavy snow here and it's lying. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Hubby will have an absolute fit when he rises and if this keeps going.   Think I'll emigrate!:rolleyes:

Posted

The snow has been pelting down for best bit of an hour here and I am only 70m above sea level. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

I had to slap ma face when I opened the curtains this morning!

5140DC5B-F662-4925-8FDF-9BB7B6CAE439.thumb.jpeg.27a7c7ea5d958d02aea600ddb571b062.jpeg

• Like 6