Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

Morning all, 

Temperature up to 3c/0c here in Broughty Ferry. Light, wet, snow currently falling. Will probably turn to sleet/rain fairly soon here.

Looking at the models it appears 950 temps and wet baw freezing levels stop being conducive to snow at low levels by 6pm, south of a line roughly Dundee to Oban. Most of us who get precipitation will probably see snow falling today but I wouldn’t expect any significant accumulation below 150m in the southern half of the country. Perhaps @CatchMyDrift Or @lorenzo can confirm if I’m along the right lines here.

Edited by Hawesy
  • Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

Morning all, 

Temperature up to 3c/0c here in Broughty Ferry. Light, wet, snow currently falling. Will probably turn to sleet/rain fairly soon here.

Looking at the models it appears 950 temps and wet baw freezing levels stop being conducive to snow at low levels by 6pm, south of a line roughly Dundee to Oban. Most of us who get precipitation will probably see snow falling today but I wouldn’t expect any significant accumulation below 150m in the southern half of the country. Perhaps @CatchMyDrift Or @lorenzo can confirm if I’m along the right lines here.

I'm just shy of 150m and you're correct sir. It's snowing but it's not showing any great desire to settle on anything other than existing snow cover. Cleared paths are remaining clear.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Blizzards, Storms, Sun, Lightening
23 minutes ago, BurntFishTrousers said:

My pictures feature on page 8 of the Scottish Sun on Sunday. Apparently I'll be getting paid for 'em too :D

20180304_093307.jpg

20180304_093255.jpg

Make sure you get your money’s worth too - that’s your copyright!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Snowing heavily but not settling on cleared paths . 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: freezing cold and lots of snow

Hi guys I was wondering if anyone could help me, I'm off to Fort William on Wednesday and travelling from Wales so was just asking to c if anyone knows wot the roads r like up past loch Lomond etc? Cheers for any replies ??

• Like 1

Posted

Actually settling on paths now in a heavier burst!

Edit: Pretty wet snow and slushy.

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, 101_North said:

Actually settling on paths now in a heavier burst!

Just back from helping dig out Currie primary school and it was accumulating on cleared surfaces as we shovelled it. 

Definetly not the powder snow of last week though.

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Polar Side said:

Just back from helping dig out Currie primary school and it was accumulating on cleared surfaces as we shovelled it. 

Definetly not the powder snow of last week though.

Good man! I'm off to Nether Currie at 12 to do the same :)

• Like 2

Posted
9 minutes ago, Richard Taylor said:

Bit heavier here now (relatively!) & it does look like snow.

I think it would definitely fall in the snizzle/sleezzle category much of the time now. I suspect if it was heavier it would be wet snow.

Posted

Good stuff, hope you get hot chocolate and coffee like we got.:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
27 minutes ago, WhiteXmas said:

Make sure you get your money’s worth too - that’s your copyright!!

Dirty money from the Scum.

• Like 3

Posted
8 hours ago, Richard Taylor said:

The airport here reporting light rain with temp/dew +2/-1. Quite unusual to see rain with a minus dewpoint.

Same here at Glasgow airport, got snow but hope it doesn't turn to rain, we are not at warmest part of the day so on a knife edge.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Richard Taylor said:

The airport here reporting light rain with temp/dew +2/-1. Quite unusual to see rain with a minus dewpoint.

The 11:50am update now has conditions as snow showers. I think marginal would describe current conditions! Very much intensity dependent I think.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
36 minutes ago, freeze for all said:

Hi guys I was wondering if anyone could help me, I'm off to Fort William on Wednesday and travelling from Wales so was just asking to c if anyone knows wot the roads r like up past loch Lomond etc? Cheers for any replies ??

My daughter drove up to Glencoe from Glasgow to go skiing this morning with no problem at all. 

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
1 hour ago, Cheggers said:

How is the M6. We have guests thinking if heading back to Bolton today?

M6 is fine Cheggers, M74 now just before Glasgow for another coffee stop light snow showers here.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Very light snaw off and on here this morning but it's just adding to the thaw. Suits me fine, my wife's car still needs properly cleared before she ventures out tomorrow.  I've had enough of it now, if I start missing it that much in the next week or two, then I'll get my boots on and take a 44 bus up to Balerno for a walk in The Pentlands.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

There was a dusting of new snow from overnight showers but the stuff falling now is wet and not sticking. Temp up to 1.7C Dewpoint -1.5

Edited by Norrance

Posted
1 hour ago, ciel said:

Give a wave to Bramble Cottage when you get there.:)

Will do ciel, Should be in Strontian later this evening ☺

• Like 1

Posted

Rain/snow mix* here in the Ferry now, snow in heavier bursts. Dew point edging up to 0c, wet baw temperature already above, so no accumulation.

*I don’t like the word sleet as it’s not really a precipitation type in itself but a mix of two different precipitation types. For once I prefer the US terminology where sleet refers specifically to ice pellets (though that’s not something we see much of at low levels in this country). With due apologies for being a sad case. :D

• Like 2