Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Blizzards, Storms, Sun, Lightening
1 minute ago, mardatha said:

See on the radar, is this band going due north or north-west? I'm just on the very edge of it here and might miss most of it. Husband having a meltdown cos he is sick of snow lol

Looks like it’s moving northwest but also looks like it’s becoming more organised as it moves up. Maybe some Prozac will help before providing your husband with the forecast? :rofl:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

That's ok WX, I can just blank him oot - got a lot of practice :rofl:

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
7 hours ago, Stormeh said:

I was in Aldi earlier and I wasn’t surprised to see that there was still no bread and milk. It doesn’t bother me but what did annoy me  was some people were shaking their heads and moaning to staff as if their life was over because they can’t get milk or bread. Get over it for god sake, can’t people survive a few days without it? The roads have been badly affected due to the snow over the last few days so what to people expect? Some people are so selfish, why don’t they think of the poor people in other countries with no food or water. Sorry for my wee rant but some people get on my nerves plus I have had a wee drink tonight so it makes me feel worse when I think about it :wallbash::drunk-emoji:

Ouch!

I get your point stormeh and agree with your point about people being nasty to store staff when the cannot get Bread and Milk in particular.

Rural communities like our villages, may only have one wee shop to serve 1500 / 2000 or so people including the farmers and folks with wee properties outlying. There are many Old folks and families with young children and bread and milk can be a big part of their essentials.

On Friday my son in-law and I along with three other guys trudged for 3.5 hrs through mostly waist deep sometimes head high snaw to get to the chemists in Oakley to collect prescriptions for Mrs Big Innes and many others in the villagers and also to see if there was, yes bread and milk but it was all sold out by that time. Older folks may only survive on tea and toast and need to have hot drinks in these colder spells!

Sorry Stormeh, that's my rant over.

Big Innes

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Struggling to understand  folk moaning at supermarket workers over lack of bread & milk... unless they think the staff have snaffled it all it should be pretty clear why there’s none...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

Well, we've just nudged over 0C for the first time since Tuesday afternoon. A notable length of 3 days and 20hrs, which is very unusual for here.....and narrowly beats March 2013 when we stayed below zero for 3 days and 16hrs. BUT.....not close to December 2010 when we had a run of 5 days and 3hrs from 28th November.

Just read this back to myself.......ugh, sometimes I can't believe I know these things ;-)

Anyway here's another pic from yesterday on the hill. What a beautiful sharp line of white. I love how snow can smooth out what is otherwise bumpy and tussocky :)

P1180072.jpg

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Blizzards, Storms, Sun, Lightening
3 minutes ago, Glaswegianblizzard said:

Struggling to understand  folk moaning at supermarket workers over lack of bread & milk... unless they think the staff have snaffled it all it should be pretty clear why there’s none...

Also I don’t get what they are bothered about? There is UHT milk in the other aisles and you can get other things instead of bread such as part baked rolls, toast pockets etc it’s just about being creative. It’s amazing, there was no milk in the local Morrison’s, yet the UHT milk hadn’t been touched. I was delighted at the snobbery :rofl:

Edited by WhiteXmas
  • Like 4

I have an entire loaf just out the freezer and 7ltrs of long life milk plus two tubs of marvel dried milk. £10 for a cuppa and toast at my house all welcome. :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

I still have fresh milk that I bought last Monday ? and I have bread out of my freezer. Feeling smug ???

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero
4 minutes ago, snowy owl said:

I still have fresh milk that I bought last Monday ? and I have bread out of my freezer. Feeling smug ???

This was our taxi yesterday to get down to the shop :)

P1180053.jpg

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
12 minutes ago, WhiteXmas said:

Also I don’t get what they are bothered about? There is UHT milk in the other aisles and you can get other things instead of bread such as part baked rolls, toast pockets etc it’s just about being creative. It’s amazing, there was no milk in the local Morrison’s, yet the UHT milk hadn’t been touched. I was delighted at the snobbery :rofl:

Lol. I'll double the snobbery by quoting (actually misquoting) Marie Antoinette: 'let them eat cake', although my response is to bake the bloody bread - there's been no shortage of strong flour. Make it with wholemeal flour and you get real bread rather than the miserable pap that turns to paste in your mouth and bungs up your small intestine (links to increased incidence of bowel cancer) that's sold as bread in plastic bags in supermarkets. And what's a freezer for if it isn't for stashing some bread and milk in for times like this, fer fuks sake??!?

On another rant, the radar has shown light snow here again this morning but the ground is still bone dry and nothing falls from the sky (and another rant, apart from idiotic brexit voters who think imposing economic sanctions on your own country in a good idea) so the lesson is, for here, it WILL NOT SNOW ON AN EASTERLY EVEN IF THE RADAR SAYS IT IS.

And breathe.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!
6 minutes ago, Benvironment said:

This was our taxi yesterday to get down to the shop :)

P1180053.jpg

Our local shop had no delivery till Friday but the milk was gone in a flash. Luckily I make my own bread so we had some frozen. Our roads were impassable and are still only one lane so I decided on staying put as my low profile tyres dislike the snow and anyhow I still have to tackle the huge drifts in front of my garage ! 

Oh and its snowing big big fat flakes !!

Edited by snowy owl
  • Like 4

Posted

Not wishing to appear too sanctomonius( correct spelling?) but ordered 10 loaves for freezer 10 days ago. based on the forecasts on here along with an oil top up for the Rayburn   Mrs Northernlights was grumbling about there being no space left in the freezer!!! but even she bought in extra tins of soup at the time.

• Like 5

Posted

Leaden sky, still dinging doon graupel, temp -1C, no wind to speak of. The tyre tracks from yesterday are filling up.

Doggie's exercise this morning comprised chasing snowballs in the garden.

Just noticed, I've had no mail delivered since last Wednesday.:shok:

• Like 6

Posted

Heavy snow now 

747CDAA2-3411-4F07-955C-5F2EE19B8313.png

• Like 2

Posted

You can almost guarantee that unlike most of the other precipitation that this heavier stuff will make it to Aberdeen, as rain. (Note to self - watch out for lahars on snowcano)

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

On my way up, Stuck in services having a coffee on M6.

• Like 5

Posted
4 minutes ago, pdiddy said:

Radar suggests the heaviest precipitation (not sure it will all be snow) misses Edinburgh to the East. 

wonder if that line by newcastle makes it this far ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow
7 minutes ago, Big Innes Madori said:

Rural communities like our villages, may only have one wee shop to serve 1500 / 2000 or so people including the farmers and folks with wee properties outlying. There are many Old folks and families with young children and bread and milk can be a big part of their essentials.

On Friday my son in-law and I along with three other guys trudged for 3.5 hrs through mostly waist deep sometimes head high snaw to get to the chemists in Oakley to collect prescriptions for Mrs Big Innes and many others in the villagers and also to see if there was, yes bread and milk but it was all sold out by that time. Older folks may only survive on tea and toast and need to have hot drinks in these colder spells!

Sorry Stormeh, that's my rant over.

Big Innes

Good point mate, it just annoys me how some folk don’t think of why there is no bread or milk. 

Well done getting to the chemists to get the prescriptions. I work for a  medical supply company who supply the whole of Scotland and we have been struggling to make deliveries to many pharmacies and health centres the last few days. We have a big backlog of orders sitting since Wednesday such as insulin and cancer treatment. The Met Office did a good job with the early warnings and many pharmacies did order extra supplies last Monday and Tuesday before the snow hit so hopefully most people got by the last few days. I hope things will turn back to  normal soon.

I love the snow but i just wish there was some way we could keep the roads clear to get the medicine to the pharmacies, health centres and get people to hospital without problems etc :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever is happening but partial to a snow drift
13 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Lol. I'll double the snobbery by quoting (actually misquoting) Marie Antoinette: 'let them eat cake', although my response is to bake the bloody bread - there's been no shortage of strong flour. Make it with wholemeal flour and you get real bread rather than the miserable pap that turns to paste in your mouth and bungs up your small intestine (links to increased incidence of bowel cancer) that's sold as bread in plastic bags in supermarkets. And what's a freezer for if it isn't for stashing some bread and milk in for times like this, fer fuks sake??!?

On another rant, the radar has shown light snow here again this morning but the ground is still bone dry and nothing falls from the sky (and another rant, apart from idiotic brexit voters who think imposing economic sanctions on your own country in a good idea) so the lesson is, for here, it WILL NOT SNOW ON AN EASTERLY EVEN IF THE RADAR SAYS IT IS.

And breathe.

Hear, hear - bake some bread, us humans have been doing it for a few years I think, bake some for a neighbour, friends, your auntie Beanie - eat scones, oatcakes, etc, do you really need 'plain' bread?  ADAPT I'm not happy, in fact I'm quite sad!!!!  Sorry folks just a bit weary of the moaning.  I'll get back in my box now.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever is happening but partial to a snow drift
9 minutes ago, snawbaw said:

Hear, hear - bake some bread, us humans have been doing it for a few years I think, bake some for a neighbour, friends, your auntie Beanie - eat scones, oatcakes, etc, do you really need 'plain' bread?  ADAPT I'm not happy, in fact I'm quite sad!!!!  Sorry folks just a bit weary of the moaning.  I'll get back in my box now.

Hoi, I didn't say anything about being unhappy or sad - what's this Netweather changing my words. I said ADAPT!!! for folks sake:closedeyes: