Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
1 hour ago, WhiteXmas said:

You never know I might be tempted back into a return. Maybe :D:rofl:

Can’t believe I’ve been a member on here since 2006 though! 

You and me both before 2006 in my case but change of site and computer means the history is lost.. I would like to add to the thanks given earlier to LSS (lomond) , I always always looked for his posts and then there is really too many people to mention, so I hope you've all had a good 'un!!

• Like 3

Posted

Aye, it's been alright.

• Like 1

Posted

A question for the experts. My local forecast still shows a slight frost on  almost every night for the next two weeks and daytime values which still allow snow to fall whenever we have precipitation.  This when I read that less cold air is on its way or will it never reach the north of Scotland properly? 

It really only backs my feeling that this cold has been so severe that it has cooled the ground/sea to great depth and completely thrown around the northern hemisphere  weather patterns that a very cold spring could be on the way. Our daffodils are  only half an inch through the ground and cannot be seen yet next  to north facing dykes and the recent wind and severe frosts have really burnt off all the vegetation. Pigeons today in a f lock of thousands finished off a field of late sown winter oilseed rape next to us so losses are mounting.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 3

Posted

Out and about for a walk with the kid this afternoon. Was heavy going trying to pull a child on a sledge over some of the drifts. Felt very cold in the biting wind with few flakes of snow blowing about.

Found a couple of dead sheep buried in drifts which is one of the big downsides of this spell. 

Its been a great winter, one that will be remembered for a long time. Much as I am a big cold weather fan I find myself starting to long for some nice spring warmth (sorry @edo)! Not seeing much in the way of that in the charts at the moment though. The last few winters gave seen snowfall here late March and even April so maybe a trend that will continue. 

This is my second winter posting in here, having lurked for a few years previous. Great fun following the thread and great banter. I'll try to stick about for the summer.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Ehm, you do know that everyone will need to stick around until the 'Kilted Thread Garden Snow Patch Competition' has a winner. Despite my impressive piles, I'm guessing that MoreSnow or one of the borders contingent will win out, with something surviving until mid April, especially if we don't have too much rain (which is usually the real snow killer). 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

@JamesM

sorry to hear that and it's a fair point.... when animals affected like that it puts perspective on the weather

i do enjoy a nice spring aswell and would rather the seasons were the seasons but these days things do seem to happen a bit out of kilter 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Posted
3 hours ago, 101_North said:

The wife thinks I'm nuts and the kids are bored but yes....... I am about to sit on an upturned plastic tub and have a glass of wine :D

IMG_20180303_183142-1392x1856.thumb.jpg.199239a513e5a43ed883955f974279a6.jpg

That's funny 101 as I used the snow piles and drifting in my front garden to build this snow hole/igloo/shelter type thing !

It's for the kids, honest ! :)

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Polar Side said:

That's funny 101 as I used the snow piles and drifting in my front garden to build this snow hole/igloo/shelter type thing !

It's for the kids, honest ! :)

image.jpeg

Love it :D

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

I was in Aldi earlier and I wasn’t surprised to see that there was still no bread and milk. It doesn’t bother me but what did annoy me  was some people were shaking their heads and moaning to staff as if their life was over because they can’t get milk or bread. Get over it for god sake, can’t people survive a few days without it? The roads have been badly affected due to the snow over the last few days so what to people expect? Some people are so selfish, why don’t they think of the poor people in other countries with no food or water. Sorry for my wee rant but some people get on my nerves plus I have had a wee drink tonight so it makes me feel worse when I think about it :wallbash::drunk-emoji:

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Aye, as per @CatchMyDrift moderate snaw on here as well.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw
20 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

Aye, as per @CatchMyDrift moderate snaw on here as well.

Ok, now heavy snaw.

Big fat flakes. Chuckin it doon.

EDIT Photae in case ye dinnae ken whit snaw looks like:

IMG-20180304-WA0000.jpeg

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

On here this second, SS you sent me it!

• Like 1

Probably had another 2-3cm over night and still snowing light to moderate. on a bright note Mrs Snow and Younger Snow are waiting for the train in Edinburgh and should be home in time for sunday dinner...

Posted

Dull start to the day at -1c with bits of grauple  in the wind.

With our fairly thin snow cover bare patches are appearing quite quickly mostly sublimation leaving the ground surface dry and powdery. Hope this continues as its drying out the ground  for sowing eventually.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Blizzards, Storms, Sun, Lightening

For those on the west and central belt, this band moving north is beginning to look interesting. Looks like it’s picking up strength as it moves north. 

Edited by WhiteXmas
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

See on the radar, is this band going due north or north-west? I'm just on the very edge of it here and might miss most of it. Husband having a meltdown cos he is sick of snow lol

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Reporting in and yes it’s light snaw here too. 

Interesting we might get more snow catch, this could be a memorable march. 

• Like 1