Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

looks like another interesting evening ahead  @Ravelin , maxed out at 0c today and temp drifting back down, farmer down round told me roads are fine locally but our lane is still not to good so the Buckfast can stay in the shop till tomorrow and it will be tea and biscuits for me tonight and radar watching with football on  in the back ground.

Posted

heavy shower on here at the moment, typical I've just been out and cleared the bleeding paths!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Well, we are still trapped. A tractor plough went past this morning and cut a trench; high 4 x 4 could likely make it after that. 

A regular plough just went passed and widened it, but it's flattened out a lot of snow on the road too. I guess there's just so much it's lifting the plough blade too high.

I could probably churn my way out with the winters on at a push, but since I've still plenty beer and whisky, I'll await further plough attempts and tomorrow morning.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter Sun in summer
32 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

That 'convergence line' creating the line of showers on the radar is heading south again by the looks of it. I wonder if that is what is due to give me the heavy snow between 18-21:00 on the MetO forecast? Watch out @More Snow, if you haven't been out for a Buckie resupply run maybe now would be a good time. :D

Roads generally not too bad to the south of Inverurie. Not much drifting and even the back roads have been ploughed. 

not sure it will move much more, could really do with a change of attack angle of the convergence line if you trace it to its starting point on the radar it is a little further south but aligned more in a north westerly direction than the westerly one of yesterday if it was a westerly movement from todays starting point then it would be game on for heavy snow showers fingers are crossed.. pivot you bugger lol 

Edited by drm

Posted

The showers off the East coast are definitely pepping up and converging in bands (I can see 5 or 6). How far inland they will get is the question.

Edited by Blizzardo

Posted

Been snowing lightly for the last 30mins - slowly but surely filling up the cleared road.

Just had a Sparrowhawk snatch a Chaffinch off the tree next to the bird feeder, another first as normally they avoid the houses here.

Edited by Quinach
  • Like 2

Posted

We seem to have a wee bit thaw on at the moment, wind is still drifting stuff about though.

Road though village clear but yucky slush piles at the side of the road. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, More Snow said:

Heavy snaw is back on and the radar is looking good.

you know you can really go off some people lol light graupel remains the order of the day in Aberdeen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Snow has pepped up a bit here recently after being mostly lightish graupel during daylight hours. Just back from town where it is a bit sleety and not as much lying.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
27 minutes ago, drm said:

not sure it will move much more, could really do with a change of attack angle of the convergence line if you trace it to its starting point on the radar it is a little further south but aligned more in a north westerly direction than the westerly one of yesterday if it was a westerly movement from todays starting point then it would be game on for heavy snow showers fingers are crossed.. pivot you bugger lol 

Oh I don't know, at the start of the 2hr radar loop the bottom edge is just clipping Fraserburgh. Currently it's just cleared south of Fraserburgh and can't be far off giving @howham a pasting. At the rate its moving, if it continues the same, I reckon it'll be with me at 6pm. Bang on when the meto forecast heavy snow for me. 

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

Oh I don't know, at the start of the 2hr radar loop the bottom edge is just clipping Fraserburgh. Currently it's just cleared south of Fraserburgh and can't be far off giving @howham a pasting. At the rate its moving, if it continues the same, I reckon it'll be with me at 6pm. Bang on when the meto forecast heavy snow for me. 

it may do yes just wish it had a more westerly movement than north west knowing Aberdeens luck we,ll end up in the middle again lol 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Catch and SS if you see any of the Border ploughs please remind them that Heriot exists. It's snawed in, but it exists. :rofl:

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Just back in, and utterly gobsmacked at what its like on the ground down here. True, only a couple of extra cms since this time yesterday and I make it  a final 13 cms (FAO @Hawesy) from the same/best level spots I could find yesterday, But the drifting is the story here same as everywhere else. Various spots just across the road where its been scoured into 2-3 feet by the vicious wind. Rural/upland folk must be in ongoing danger of having roads blocked almost as quickly as they've been cleared.

One addition to the landscape here, a primitive unfinished igloo needing some Glaswegian igloo experts to complete it... In the meantime I'm going to name it Edinburgh's Snaw Disgrace to match the Calton Hill monument...

EdinburghsSnawDisgrace.JPG

• Like 8

Posted
15 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

Might be a fun drive home then!  I'll ask my wife for an update...

Posted

Perhaps all the high level cloud associated with the  front from the south was limiting convection and now thats cleared the showers can get going again, clearly uppers arent as cold so lapse rates wont be as good

• Like 4

Posted

To give Edinburgh City Council it's dues they've ploughed our road already. In 2010 it took weeks to dig out the estate! 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 101_North said:

To give Edinburgh City Council it's dues they've ploughed our road already. In 2010 it took weeks to dig out the estate! 

have they got the trains running yet??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero
1 minute ago, Quinach said:

Snow getting a bit heavier here and temp dropping (now 0.1C).  Some Scandinavian visitors to the garden, Bramblings (on left) flying along with the local Chaffinches. 

Snag_e6ce24b.png

Snag_e6d0dff.png

Nice. Haven't seen bramblings here since the 2010 freeze.

Posted
1 minute ago, Quinach said:

Snow getting a bit heavier here and temp dropping (now 0.1C).  Some Scandinavian visitors to the garden, Bramblings (on left) flying along with the local Chaffinches. 

Snag_e6ce24b.png

Snag_e6d0dff.png

Gorgeous photos.  I had my first ever Fieldfare visit my garden today and he was very hungry, poor little beggar was eating the shrivelled little crab apples off my tree

• Like 1