Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Well @hawsey, measurements nigh on impossible because of drifting but we estimate at least 35cm of snow here ! Absolutely amazing ! 

We have bread & milk and I’m soooo smug ! Hee hee ? also have tons of bread flour to make more bread ?. Everyone even hubby thought I was going ott! But I knew differently ?

Our road is currently being dug out by jcbs. 

560426B3-8985-4484-8266-1BBDC9FF66FF.png

• Like 5

Posted

Still light snow - still snowed in. I believe the minor roads around here are a nightmare. Not checked them myself.

Just finalised arrangements for the 2018 French holiday - can't wait. :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Still snizzling here, had more snow/graupel showers overnight, just measured 9 inches in one spot and a 1 foot drift, very hard to measure due to the wind blowing the snow. Temperature is the highest it has been for a while 2.1C / -4.0C (possible heavier snow starting again on sunday?)  quite a few ensemble members keeping it at or below -5

tempresult_cjv0.gif

t850Fife (1).png

DSC_0047.JPG

DSC_0048.JPG

DSC_0049.JPG

DSC_0050.JPG

DSC_0051.JPG

• Like 3

Posted

Counted 60 maybe 70 snowflakes falling on Inverness high street there, nearly had to brush some off my shoulder. Crazy scenes in the highland capital 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter Sun in summer
6 minutes ago, Gogoslo said:

More like rain here in Aberdeen now.     Looks like it will get "less cold" in the early to middle of next week.    Might be some potential for snow later next week and into the weekend though.

still light snow/graupel mix in the city id think by tomorrow it,ll be a rain sleet mix on the coast the dew point is rising as are the temps

Posted
14 minutes ago, LeithRayOfSunshine said:

I'll go with Catch's angle. A slow thaw to avoid flooding even if that means remaining cold/rather cold to get there. After that to be honest I will be gagging for warm sun on my face and mid 50'sF. I want cold in winter where it belongs and dragging it all out into late March/April just isn't my thing any more. Obviously getting old ! :crazy:

yeah i agree , the thought of the cold lasting until easter, no thanks! last few days been great but happy now to see the back of it and get back to normal inc kids back to school instead of under my feet all day :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
1 hour ago, Landylou said:

What a great morning! Woke up to at least another 2-3” of snow and several texts from colleagues having to walk to work! Despite it being my day off I jumped into my 4x4 and went and picked them up and delivered them safely to work! 4 round trips and all were there, cosy and safe! 

Back out at my house and my tracks from this morning are covered already, snows on and off but very small flakes! Will it keep on going through the day?!!

Might need to head out later again to get them all home ?

nice touch......kids were excited today by the depths and are looking fwd to dad coming home to make an igloo........ eeeeeek that was a rash promise

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter Sun in summer
4 minutes ago, JoeShmoe said:

yeah i agree , the thought of the cold lasting until easter, no thanks! last few days been great but happy now to see the back of it and get back to normal inc kids back to school instead of under my feet all day :-)

the zonal winds have returned to their normal westerly direction now but will take a while to downwell maybe 2 to 3 weeks at least this means little or no sign of spring till late march 

• Like 1

Posted

I suspect the next big story to come from this wintery spell is the state of the roads once the snow starts to melt - driving round this morning struck at the amount of tarmac I am seeing in the snow drifts at the side of the roads, presumably dug up by the ploughs being used by the council & local farmers.

The automated forecasts from the BBC and Met continue to amuse.  Met tell me that snowmaggedon is coming - the rain radar gives no hint of this.

Snag_dabaa10.thumb.png.4bb35b7908e9f825f5955b07b08dc67a.png

The BBC view seems more plausible...

Snag_dadb9b6.thumb.png.f452042dfd445798d780cb2411cce2fa.png

Overall though trust the Met more than the BBC now, especially since the BBC move to Meteo - the BBC temperatures have been over optimistic over the whole week.  Plus Alex Deakin on the Met is a top notch presenter!

Light snow off and on since daylight and temperatures just above freezing - snow no longer has the squeak when walking on it as many have reported the last few days which suggests some form of melting ongoing.

Edited by Quinach

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

These pictures are not from Scotland but from my sister in Dublin. They got a good dumping of snow over there also :)

8DA386C2-BD97-468E-8601-4E172CAD3989.thumb.jpeg.01c9ffc9f45f4950290f8eab1bf0c445.jpeg

5C384527-75F9-45B7-ACE2-D8FD6544D341.thumb.jpeg.d9d7b30f846d55b5504dff624aeced68.jpeg

E1B7F52D-9377-4E59-A652-EA9313A3454D.thumb.jpeg.e4021ed1e3a224ddb6821e97eb93a952.jpeg

4122BCA5-C33B-4ED0-B512-FB37C926D6B7.thumb.jpeg.4c91d232b9e4580e5b8ff34c41635d12.jpegB08A2F40-6F4E-4FDC-90C4-253F43095A46.thumb.jpeg.21dbadb33806f1a3f9b8a501270f964d.jpeg

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!
1 hour ago, More Snow said:

ive got 8ltrs of long life upstairs in my emergency cupboard along with pasta rice cuppa soups.. my only concern is bread running out..

Swap you some milk for my home made bread lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Husband been oot for a recce and came back exhausted and in shock. Apparently there's a lot more snaw than he thought, huge drifts and the shepherd up the road is worried about the sheep on the hill, he can't get to them.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Going through some of my attempts at catching the thundersnow but these are the best I have found so far.. (also a video of a snow shower from Tuesday which gives an idea of what it was like before snowmageddon arrived)

thundersnow1.png

thundersnow2.png

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
1 hour ago, Polar Maritime said:

All being well I should be up to Fort William tomorrow or Sunday, Just having the lane dug out to my house.. 

20180302_065726.thumb.jpg.2265db1d266a6846a0040ff0886eb855.jpg20180302_083928.thumb.jpg.436249a029cb8bd7ea66ee763cf193d1.jpg

Someone posted that they had no snow in Fort William so I hope that is ok. Plenty up on the hills though from the earlier westerly falls and you will drive through plenty on the way.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
10 minutes ago, Norrance said:

Someone posted that they had no snow in Fort William so I hope that is ok. Plenty up on the hills though from the earlier westerly falls and you will drive through plenty on the way.

Yes I will be glad of a break from but also happy the hills have plenty as will be out and about probably take a wonder up to the hut on North side of Ben Nevis to.

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

That 'convergence line' creating the line of showers on the radar is heading south again by the looks of it. I wonder if that is what is due to give me the heavy snow between 18-21:00 on the MetO forecast? Watch out @More Snow, if you haven't been out for a Buckie resupply run maybe now would be a good time. :D

Roads generally not too bad to the south of Inverurie. Not much drifting and even the back roads have been ploughed. 

Posted

I noticed it was coming south.  Fraserburgh got pasted last night and looks like it again now.  No doubt it will peter out before getting to me...