Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, frosty, snow....lots of snow! Oh....and more snow!

What a great morning! Woke up to at least another 2-3” of snow and several texts from colleagues having to walk to work! Despite it being my day off I jumped into my 4x4 and went and picked them up and delivered them safely to work! 4 round trips and all were there, cosy and safe! 

Back out at my house and my tracks from this morning are covered already, snows on and off but very small flakes! Will it keep on going through the day?!!

Might need to head out later again to get them all home ?

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, NorthernRab said:

What is it with people and bread? Tell some one they can't have any pasta or rice for a month and they'd probably shrug it off but mention the possibility of a day without a sandwich or toast and they go spare. 

Herself baked a couple of sponge cakes yesterday. Yum!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.
1 minute ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I bought the wee half baked rolls that you pop in the oven, does that qualify me as one of those people? :)

No that makes you a Guardian reader! 

Posted
7 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Nae whinging for at least one snow season now? :)

When did you ever know me to whinge? I’m affronted :D I leave that to the experts like @......ah, they know who they are.:rofl:

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

More Snow - Virgin East Coast saying nothing north of Newcastle today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

I don’t think some parts of this country can handle anymore snow but Sunday looks like it might give another dumping!

• Like 1

Posted

I've got a breadmaker and a case of Rustic Crunch breadmix. And I don't even like bread. :rofl:

Nothing going to get in or out of this village for the foreseeable, road above my knees in snow and husband says there's a 15ft drift up the top. Hope one of the farm workers brings home a tractor. Sainsbugs is not going to visit me this weekend and I have run out of sweeties :girl_devil:

Hope nobody here needs an ambulance..

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, mardatha said:

More Snow - Virgin East Coast saying nothing north of Newcastle today.

Thank you, had to book her yet another night in leeds hotel, we are now faced with another problem in that her meds run out today and we are trying to sort out an emergency supply from a leeds pharmacy that is proving very difficult.

Posted

Glasgow Bishopton above freezing (a balmy 0.2c) for the first time since Tuesday as of 10:00, and the city is getting back to some functionality. Trains and rural areas will no doubt take a lot longer!

• Like 2

Posted

MS get the gp surgery to fax the script to a chemist she can reach. You need the chemist name address and fax number. Failing that maybe get her to to go a walk in clinic place and they should give her some.

Edited by mardatha
  • Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, Stormeh said:

I don’t think some parts of this country can handle anymore snow but Sunday looks like it might give another dumping!

Aye, was just looking at the fax charts (which I'm not the best with) but it looks to me that there is plenty of frontal activity in and around the central belt and southern Scotland between Sunday 12pm and Tuesday 12pm 

The front appears to move up, stall slightly then sink back south towards the border before pressing northwards again. I could be way off but it looks to me that it wouldn't need many tweaks for it to stall somewhere between the borders and central Scotland for quite a lengthy period. 

I don't however know how much precipitation is associated with the front / fronts 

IMG_8663.PNG

IMG_8664.PNG

IMG_8665.PNG

IMG_8666.PNG

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Not just here that has had more snow than usual though there it has been over 100 years.

IMG_0095.JPG

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, mardatha said:

MS get the gp surgery to fax the script to a chemist she can reach. You need the chemist name address and fax number. Failing that maybe get her to to go a walk in clinic place and they should give her some.

GP useless saying cant do it because she is in England, so she has had to call NHS direct and they have given her an emergency supply to collect. trouble is one of the meds is a very rare one and normally has to be ordered in as a special.

Posted

Good that they are on the ball MS.

If we have more snow here Sun/Mon then I'm going to have to trek to the A7 and get a bus (if there are any) to get some milk, Could kick myself as I just threw out a box of powdered stuff that was past it's sell-by date.

Currently watching somebody out on skis up on the hill, he's fast!

Posted
9 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Good shout on that one :)

FAX charts take 24 hours to move a front over Scotland:

2MarFAX60.thumb.jpg.d4c2c84ddf419147f9fc2f14065c687c.jpg02MarFAX72.thumb.jpg.d4a51ce86f10a2934e9b37d527b1701d.jpg02MarFAX84.thumb.jpg.8f429d9c45acade3017c3ec94a0813d3.jpg

Still looks fairly windy so won't help. We are definitely moving into phase 2 of this spell but it's not the end of the story. 

@Ruzzi if you use http://www.weathercharts.org/ukmomslp.htm the charts are time stamped which helps identify up to date charts. Not saying owt about your charts just trying to help ya :)

would that be marginal snow wise? Guessing so here !

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Ha ! To think my wife questioned why I bought a box of instant-mash at the start of the year, saying that it was destined to become a back of the cupboard discovery in 5 years time. Come the freeze, and today she says she'll be using it to make fish pie. As usual, man the hunter has provided ! :whistling:

PS no idea why I actually bought it, nostalgia I guess !

• Like 1

Posted

Looking further ahead, some tentative signs for higher heights in Greenland.  Northeasterly anyone?  Now that we have drained Siberia of cold, seems like the next best outcome...

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, mardatha said:

Good that they are on the ball MS.

If we have more snow here Sun/Mon then I'm going to have to trek to the A7 and get a bus (if there are any) to get some milk, Could kick myself as I just threw out a box of powdered stuff that was past it's sell-by date.

Currently watching somebody out on skis up on the hill, he's fast!

ive got 8ltrs of long life upstairs in my emergency cupboard along with pasta rice cuppa soups.. my only concern is bread running out..

Edited by Guest

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter Sun in summer

if the uppers  stay as they are now id say snow but the dewpoints will be very close to marginal by sunday my guess is rain sleet wet snow mix especially at lower levels 150 m and above should stay as snow  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, sun in summer!

We were pretty much cut off this morning, even 4x4's were of no use. Wind has been relentless off the sea, and blowing the snow straight back if it's cleared.

image.thumb.png.d99fde1ef042ee63550502b9bd151b74.png

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
3 hours ago, GraemeB said:

Currently over double @Hawesy's prediction - and now completely, 100%, bored with the snow.

I've got a business to run and need to get to post office/suppliers etc etc

Post Reported

Ban Requested

:nonono:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.
4 minutes ago, pdiddy said:

Looking further ahead, some tentative signs for higher heights in Greenland.  Northeasterly anyone?  Now that we have drained Siberia of cold, seems like the next best outcome...

I'll go with Catch's angle. A slow thaw to avoid flooding even if that means remaining cold/rather cold to get there. After that to be honest I will be gagging for warm sun on my face and mid 50'sF. I want cold in winter where it belongs and dragging it all out into late March/April just isn't my thing any more. Obviously getting old ! :crazy:

• Like 1

Posted

More like rain here in Aberdeen now.     Looks like it will get "less cold" in the early to middle of next week.    Might be some potential for snow later next week and into the weekend though.

Posted
30 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Good shout on that one :)

FAX charts take 24 hours to move a front over Scotland:

2MarFAX60.thumb.jpg.d4c2c84ddf419147f9fc2f14065c687c.jpg02MarFAX72.thumb.jpg.d4a51ce86f10a2934e9b37d527b1701d.jpg02MarFAX84.thumb.jpg.8f429d9c45acade3017c3ec94a0813d3.jpg

Still looks fairly windy so won't help. We are definitely moving into phase 2 of this spell but it's not the end of the story. 

@Ruzzi if you use http://www.weathercharts.org/ukmomslp.htm the charts are time stamped which helps identify up to date charts. Not saying owt about your charts just trying to help ya :)

Aye perfect, I had been using the one on the netweather site and was never sure if they were due to be updated or had just been updated. Either way it could get interesting with elevation certainly 

Edited by Ruzzi
  • Like 1