Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....
22 minutes ago, ECOSSE1650 said:

Somebody on Skye is in big trouble, possibly a farmer who has been burning his grass fields and the fire has spread into a forest, I'll try and upload photos later. Crazy that at this time of the year that the grass/shrubs/trees can burn and on Skye of all places, whilst so much of the country is under snow.

It's muir burn season and for once the ground on Skye is very dry! Fire spreads really quickly being fanned by the strong winds. I believe fire service are in attendance. Happens every year, at least one fire gets out of control. Still nae snaw where I am, thankfully, although I believe the north of the island now has a wee dusting.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, mistyqueen said:

It's muir burn season and for once the ground on Skye is very dry! Fire spreads really quickly being fanned by the strong winds. I believe fire service are in attendance. Happens every year, at least one fire gets out of control. Still nae snaw where I am, thankfully, although I believe the north of the island now has a wee dusting.

North end of Skye.

7b75c518-4e19-4c10-b037-d73adcadecf5.JPG

997ec0b4-e798-4591-9edc-b64fec77ffb2.JPG

• Like 8

Posted
1 hour ago, 101_North said:

The drifting round here overnight in wild! Easily 2-3ft deep in places and some areas windswept almost down to the concrete!

Yeah, it's like looking out on the tundra ! Deep snow blowing about, light flakes falling from an icy grey sky.

It's been a hugely impressive spell of weather. Maybe not quite reached the depths of 2010 but the blowing and drifting snow has made up for it.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....
2 minutes ago, ECOSSE1650 said:

North end of Skye.

Scary! Damage to forest I hear tell.:shok::(

Posted
6 minutes ago, Polar Side said:

Yeah, it's like looking out on the tundra ! Deep snow blowing about, light flakes falling from an icy grey sky.

It's been a hugely impressive spell of weather. Maybe not quite reached the depths of 2010 but the blowing and drifting snow has made up for it.

Agreed. We had more snow in 2010 but the drifting is making this memorable! Incredible few days!

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Still snowin' and blowin' here but doesn't look any different than it did last night.   Cold tho', wind chill seems higher today.

Included a few webcam pics from around Fife:

static_weathercams.php.jpg

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 7

Posted

Morning All

Just taken another measurement and up to 15cms now, which is an extra 5 overnight!  It does look pretty amazing and the roads here are appalling, though seems to be a lot more traffic on them today.  Still no buses though, which is incredible as even in 2010 they kept them running throughout.  An extremely memorable period that is now (for me at least) living up to the hype.  Still no 2010, but what is? 

Tim

Edited by TinyTim
  • Like 9

Posted

The council to be fair have ploughed all the main roads round here so traffic is getting moving. Side roads are a major issue though and I suspect it will be several days yet before we can even think about getting the car out. Hopefully the situation with the buses improves over the weekend so people can get moving again. The local butcher deserves a medal for getting open and having enough goodies for me to spend a small fortune :D

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
43 minutes ago, ECOSSE1650 said:

North end of Skye.

How muirburn is still legal, never mind acceptable land management, is beyond belief when scenes like this are commonplace in the Highlands every spring.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Well, it's dullsville here in Leith. Grey with occasional snizzle. Local hat on, think we can say now that the big streamers/big convection  showers are done as the cold uppers recede from west to east and moderate. Edinburgh/Glasgow airports reporting 32/33F so we're getting to more marginal situations at sea-level. Although whether the central belt basks in 34,36,37F the next 2-3 days probably won't make that much difference to existing snow cover. And probably no clear-skied frost to consolidate things overnight so I guess we end up with an imperceptibly slow thaw. Snow will get claggier but thats way better for making huge snowmen than when it was all powder. So I don't see an immediate end to fun for the kids. Bound to end in a slush-fest sometime though and that's when I really will want to see the back of it !

Edited by LeithRayOfSunshine
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
1 hour ago, su rui ke said:

I think this happened in 1947 in parts of the West Highlands as well. The winter was so easterly-dominated that parts of the country that are usually among the wettest ended up bone dry by the spring!

Thats true. They were burning heather north of Loch Ness while the Eastern and Southern Highlands were buried with drifts over 21 feet.

Edited by Norrance

Posted

Not so much snow here overnight but the drifts are getting seriously exceptional this ain't going to be melting fully anytime soon for sure

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.
25 minutes ago, West Highland Storm said:

Fort William cold, still no snow !

Don't worry, same in Inverness! Curse of the easterlies!

• Like 1

Posted

Some more photos filtering in from the locale. 

For anyone with local knowledge I'll name the places of where these are

This one is Tippethill road, from Breich towards Longridge. 

IMG_8657.thumb.PNG.c831f93140ef36eedd24fe54984c493d.PNG

This is the road between Newmains and Carluke: 

IMG_8658.thumb.PNG.151098693a92a1fde887a48e73024c31.PNG

This is the road from Whitburn to Longridge, just at the Blaeberryhill junction: 

IMG_8659.thumb.PNG.bc944897fc702fd8cfba8fb6b49b2137.PNG

These 2 are of a road in Armadale, not sure which one: 

IMG_8660.thumb.PNG.650349c187a24bc6592047514dc8565e.PNG

IMG_8661.thumb.PNG.7490de9dc994bd7779acf3e21a5d4ce8.PNG

And this is the road to the motorway at shotts (Benhar Road)

IMG_8662.thumb.PNG.023d7ea3287261a7f2039b298540331a.PNG

All of these are within a 5 mile radius of here, it's literally a no go today. Not getting anywhere in these roads 

Edited by Ruzzi
  • Like 9

Posted

Anyone know if this expected to last until Easter? Just heard it on radio, isnit utter b**locks or true?

Posted

Drifting causing huge problems around NE Fife, still no buses running and no way in and out of villages like Crail :rofl:

(Ah the irony)

Agree with @LeithRayOfSunshine about the slow thaw ahead. Only downside of the easterly is we probably have several grey dreary days ahead, but it seems unreasonable to complain about that after what it’s delivered.

Final tally in Broughty Ferry: 7cm. Takes me up to a total of 10cm fallen since Dec 2010. Ya dancer! :D

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.
1 hour ago, CatchMyDrift said:

There's a short but potentially lucrative window to make some money dealing bread and milk:

"Got any brown mate?"

"Aye pal, Hovis £8 a slice"

What is it with people and bread? Tell some one they can't have any pasta or rice for a month and they'd probably shrug it off but mention the possibility of a day without a sandwich or toast and they go spare. 

Edited by NorthernRab

Posted

Back from walking in the park with the dog. Difficult to judge but snow dept probably about 8" with drifts up to waist high.

Dog loving it! Pics later.

• Like 3