Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

it really has been way off recently hasnt it..... i only seen it because was watching the news and all the dafties moaning about being stuck on a motorway in a red warning

usual story blaming authorities not giving enough information or help when in reality because of the volume of people they have needed to call in the army so little anyone can realistically do to prepare.... unless we all want to pay a fortune in tax 

many years ago i worked in the finance team of roads in the local authority and it was £2.5m standing charges every winter just to have the gritters and drivers and equipment etc all ready.... and that was the cost 15 years ago before a flake fell so you can imagine what having the capacity for more provision would cost.... 

Edited by edo
  • Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, JoeShmoe said:

Just a constant very light snizzle falling, showers look dead on the radar, are they expected to perk up or is that pretty much it now? 

Met Forecast suggests that's pretty much it apart from light, scattered showers.

Posted

Morning all  

The Balmedie sna shield was briefly penetrated overnight with a light dusting getting through.     Very light snow, almost light rain when I left for work.    Met O has light snow all day.    We will see.

• Like 2

Posted
6 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

:nonono:

Shame HC, more so given that Easter Ross is still under a constant stream of showers just to your north. Hard to remember a spell which has had such dramatic localised variations, it's been feast or famine 

Current moderate snowfall here, won't come to much 

• Like 2

Posted

Currently over double @Hawesy's prediction - and now completely, 100%, bored with the snow.

I've got a business to run and need to get to post office/suppliers etc etc

Posted

The drifting round here overnight in wild! Easily 2-3ft deep in places and some areas windswept almost down to the concrete!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, 101_North said:

The drifting round here overnight in wild! Easily 2-3ft deep in places and some areas windswept almost down to the concrete!

Same here, some parts of my lawn are still visible yet 3 foot stone walls are covered over.

Posted

It seems the snow is going to fade out as clouds have much less depth than the last two days. The story now is that on my local forecast we have a frost every night for almost the next two weeks and some snowfall opportunities so no sign of spring. On top of a late damp harvest with straw only being baled last week in some fields agriculture  both arable and livestock is going to have a tough year if a cold spring develops.

An observation from last night in Sainsburys in Nairn was that they had almost no fruit and veg and no bread so the effects of this severe cold spell have been felt in areas with hardly any snow. Currently -3c

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

It seems the snow is going to fade out as clouds have much less depth than the last two days. The story now is that on my local forecast we have a frost every night for almost the next two weeks and some snowfall opportunities so no sign of spring. On top of a late damp harvest with straw only being baled last week in some fields agriculture  both arable and livestock is going to have a tough year if a cold spring develops.

An observation from last night in Sainsburys in Nairn was that they had almost no fruit and veg and no bread so the effects of this severe cold spell have been felt in areas with hardly any snow. Currently -3c

I went for milk last night and couldn't find any in any of the local shops.

They still had my pint cans of Stella though. I told the girl at the checkout I could handle milk not being available but if the beer runs out we will be in a whole other world of bother!!

• Like 1

Posted

Steady mixture of graupel and fine snowflakes falling, depth now around 16cms, but also some mini drifts. Temp -2C and still a brisk wind.

Step-daughter and family stayed overnight in central Glasgow in the hope of catching a promised early morning Virgin train to London, but unfortunately it has been cancelled.:(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snow
36 minutes ago, Gogoslo said:

Morning all  

The Balmedie sna shield was briefly penetrated overnight with a light dusting getting through.     Very light snow, almost light rain when I left for work.    Met O has light snow all day.    We will see.

It’s been snowing (light & heavy) all morning in the shire.Weather looks cold enough for the snow to hang around till Monday and maybe a bit further,hopefully

Posted

Somebody on Skye is in big trouble, possibly a farmer who has been burning his grass fields and the fire has spread into a forest, I'll try and upload photos later. Crazy that at this time of the year that the grass/shrubs/trees can burn and on Skye of all places, whilst so much of the country is under snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Constant snizzle with occasional short heavier bursts this morning so far. Earlier estimate of 2-3cm overnight was probably a bit conservative. Again it's difficult as the paths haven't filled in evenly, but at the centre low point I measured 4cm, so maybe averages out at around 5cm. Takes us up to around 20cm in total since Wed morning. 

Might need to go see what the shops have in the way of food today. 

• Like 1

Posted

Some unbelievable scenes here this morning. Shotts is virtually snowed in, every road out this morning was totally blocked. Some at chest height!!!! And some of the drifts were way deeper than the height of my car. The worst I have ever seen for sure. If there was more snow to come then we would be finished!! Some of these photos are main roads!!!!! 

IMG_8639.PNG

IMG_8640.PNG

IMG_8641.PNG

IMG_8642.PNG

IMG_8643.PNG

IMG_8651.PNG

IMG_8652.PNG

Edited by Ruzzi
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Drifts are amazing! I have no idea how much snow fell last night because it’s been blown around but it was almost constant snow. 

96706708-CE7B-4993-8BC8-8D906855CDB8.png

6058198B-BD12-4B36-8E20-3E49DB1A490A.png

• Like 6

Posted
6 minutes ago, ECOSSE1650 said:

Somebody on Skye is in big trouble, possibly a farmer who has been burning his grass fields and the fire has spread into a forest, I'll try and upload photos later. Crazy that at this time of the year that the grass/shrubs/trees can burn and on Skye of all places, whilst so much of the country is under snow.

I think this happened in 1947 in parts of the West Highlands as well. The winter was so easterly-dominated that parts of the country that are usually among the wettest ended up bone dry by the spring!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

Constant snizzle with occasional short heavier bursts this morning so far. Earlier estimate of 2-3cm overnight was probably a bit conservative. Again it's difficult as the paths haven't filled in evenly, but at the centre low point I measured 4cm, so maybe averages out at around 5cm. Takes us up to around 20cm in total since Wed morning. 

Might need to go see what the shops have in the way of food today. 

pick me up some buckfast would you old chap..??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

Well had our road blocked by a car that got stuck- took umpteen folk pushing it back to get it out. No driving happening here today for me, don't think I could get the cars out. Compacted snow with more snow on top does not a safe journey maketh!

These are roads currently closed in Perthshire for anyone who is out today...

IMG_0621.PNG

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
36 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

Food shops in Inverness were well-stocked (with a very few gaps) yesterday and not very busy. It was as if they'd pre-empted panic-buying by over-stocking and keeping lots of staff on. You could say, more cashiers than snowflakes...:D

5 minutes ago, Benvironment said:

Our road needs digging out by a JCB again ;-)

P1170944.jpg

just had ours done. what a week its been.