Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
20 minutes ago, edo said:

Decent blob looks Perth bound just now

Edo

Just been out for a quick measure, and happy to report 10cm total now.  However, as @Hawesy I believe mentioned earlier, its very difficult to get a proper measurement due to drifting and cleared surfaces etc.  In places its much deeper where its drifted, so overall not too bad, but way short of the 30cm or so that 2010 delivered here.  Some very large flakes now drifting down... was very pretty, so fingers crossed we might see a few cms more overnight!

Tim

Edited by TinyTim
  • Like 1

Posted

Hairy Celt  must be very near  this line of showers coming in off the Firth tonight. Maybe he is buried! Stiil getting the odd shower from the east  here too currently -3.5c

Posted

guessing the M90 won't be in use in the morning then ? Hard to believe this is a major motorway

IMG_8538.PNG

Edited by Ruzzi
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

There are going to be lots of roads impassible first thing tomorrow. This one is apparently passable with care.

IMG_0093.JPG

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, Norrance said:

There are going to be lots of roads impassible first thing tomorrow. This one is apparently passable with care.

IMG_0093.JPG

In a tank maybe. :fool:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Still snowing here, had more thundersnow at around 7pm and as i predicted the second plantpot is all but buried (measured 25cm just now and the drifts must be a foot deep if not more which is crazy considering my altitude)  :help: :shok:

ps- loving everyones pics, what a memorable spell this has been and possibly even more to come in the next few days

DSC_0045.JPG

DSC_0046.JPG

• Like 3

Posted
49 minutes ago, Ruzzi said:

Now this is impressive if it's true 

IMG_8535.PNG

Work colleagues were talking late last week about areas of the Cromarty firth being frozen on their journey to work, thats before the east winds arrived! It's been long and cold winter :) remember it being particularly extensive in the crazy winter of 09/10, passed some quite large areas of Sea with snow on it on my journeys up north to Tongue 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

The wind has really picked up here this evening. It sounds weird around the house as it’s coming from a strange direction for such a strong wind. Like a jet engine outside.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

Still coming down heavy outside, this is the most snow I've ever seen in my life actually feel a bit shocked. Starting to wonder where its all going to go when temperatures rise. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
1 hour ago, Benvironment said:

The wind has really picked up here this evening. It sounds weird around the house as it’s coming from a strange direction for such a strong wind. Like a jet engine outside.

Funny you should say that. There's been an enthusiastic referee blowing his whistle down our chimney for the last 30 hours.

In other (none) news, we have no snow (0cm, @Hawesy, 0cm).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
2 hours ago, Northernlights said:

Hairy Celt  must be very near  this line of showers coming in off the Firth tonight. Maybe he is buried! Stiil getting the odd shower from the east  here too currently -3.5c

:nonono:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

been chucking it down here.... despite looking lighter on radar intensity remains high in the showers... although our depths dont match others its been a stunning spell for snow shower watching 

i just wish HC had been able to get a load too 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Have been further showers through the night and snowing when I looked outside earlier - looks a good stream set up but not getting as far inland as yesterday maybe 

• Like 1

Posted
14 hours ago, snowidea said:

Still coming down heavy outside, this is the most snow I've ever seen in my life actually feel a bit shocked. Starting to wonder where its all going to go when temperatures rise. 

Down the drain :)

Posted

I can't help but thinking some people clearing snow really do go over the top, guy across street has been thumping, scraping and banging for the last half hour. His drive is not even on an incline :nonono: plus he cleared it yesterday too, and we've not had any major re-dump!

• Like 1

Posted

Wow, I reckon I did pretty well during the night.  Hard to tell depth at the moment but it's very impressive for my location and proximity to the sea.  Will get my act together later and measure depths and hopefully post photos.

Temps are well up on previous mornings and currently sitting at -0.7c so could well go above freezing today if the sun makes an appearance.  Looks as though the showers are set to last for the day here so still more to come.

Posted
5 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

Funny you should say that. There's been an enthusiastic referee blowing his whistle down our chimney for the last 30 hours.

In other (none) news, we have no snow (0cm, @Hawesy, 0cm).

Due apologies @Hairy Celt, I was very uncertain about your prospects but thought something might have made it through....

:sorry:

It’s above freezing here this morning (Leuchars reporting +1c), wind still blowing steadily in the low 30s mph as it has been for most of the last 24 hours.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
25 minutes ago, grifter said:

I can't help but thinking some people clearing snow really do go over the top, guy across street has been thumping, scraping and banging for the last half hour. His drive is not even on an incline :nonono: plus he cleared it yesterday too, and we've not had any major re-dump!

Some people just enjoy shoveling snow, it's part of the ritual. It also helps stop the driveway becoming an ice rink when the almost inevitable thaw/freeze cycle kicks in. 

17 minutes ago, Flotsam said:

Wow, I reckon I did pretty well during the night.  Hard to tell depth at the moment but it's very impressive for my location and proximity to the sea. 

The convergence line streamer that was sitting to your north shifted south last night for a while. I was watching it as my wife teaches at Keith Grammar, who announced thier closure in record time this morning (one of the first rather than last for a change). 

Here we've had more overnight snow falls. Hard to say how much,  but a quick through window assessment of the paths that were cleared yesterday would suggest at least an additional 2-3 cm. 

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

Due apologies @Hairy Celt, I was very uncertain about your prospects but thought something might have made it through....

:sorry:

It’s above freezing here this morning (Leuchars reporting +1c), wind still blowing steadily in the low 30s mph as it has been for most of the last 24 hours.

im up to 19cm though so @hawesy i have surpassed your target.... i reached 16cm about 18 hours later than predicted.... cant grumble with that

apart from HC we will dream of strong easterlys every winter

• Like 4

Posted

Snow showers must have continued overnight. Hard to tell as the snow has been blown about but I reckon, again based on the cleared path to the garage, we got maybe 4cm during the night. Really hard to gauge though.

• Like 3

Posted

BBC saying 5c on Sunday

not looked at charts for days just radars so no idea if right but will be drip drip if it is

Posted
3 minutes ago, edo said:

BBC saying 5c on Sunday

not looked at charts for days just radars so no idea if right but will be drip drip if it is

Met Office have me no higher than 1c on Sunday but the BBC have me at 4c. My money's on the Met being closer to reality. I tend to ignore the BBC forecasts these days.

• Like 3