Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
1 minute ago, Mr Frost said:

Blizzardo get some picture on the go mate! Been choking to see what it’s like in that area! Have been watching snowfall going through there for hours! :D

I've got a few short videos. I put one from this morning on YouTube called Cockapoo tackling Scotland snow, I couldn't get it to upload onto this site. Snow at that point was 2 feet around my back garden but we are seriously snowed in now. I will stick the one when I saw the snowploughs when I get a bit of time tomorrow morning.

• Like 3

Posted
8 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

Looks like you are taking a pounding up there! 

See that wee blue dot just South East of Glasgow in the only dry bit aboot - that’s where I am! :rofl:

Had to look at the radar again - just one last time for comedy value! :D that stuff out East will surely not miss this time!? :)

0D6AD0A5-F685-4F1F-95E9-5DF18E0E963C.png

Yup, and it's still dinging down:yahoo:.  Was planning to have an early night tonight but this is just mesmerising and I can't stop staring out the window.

Really hope you get blasted with the white stuff soon:D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Beginning with S ending with W ;)

50cm of snow is crazy especially so far west!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

All happening in Lochgelly tonight seemingly.   4 car smash at the bottom of StationRoad under the railway bridge.   A C0 0p lorry jack-knifed in Chapel street. Bowhill cut off from Lochgelly due to abandoned cars and drifting and also Ballingry cut off and closed as well due to abandoned cars and drifting.   So Eliza Brae closed and Staion Road closed.   I wondered why the road outside my house was so quiet.:rolleyes:

• Like 8

Posted

Balmedie snow shield well and truly activated this evening.   All the precipitation coming in off the east is somehow missing us.   Hopefully get a wee top up overnight for the kids to play in tomorrow.  

• Like 1

Posted

Just had the first snow shower since early am .The line of showers acrooss the Firth seems to moving south to us. Remember in the sixties and seventies when we often had periods of east winds one day the slow moving showers would hug the coast on our southern side of the Firth and the next  day they would be along the coast at the northern side This would happen on alternate days until the east wind  stopped sometimes for most of the month of February and so both sides of the Firth shared the snow. Currently -3.5c

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer
26 minutes ago, frogesque said:

Sounds hairy and that is some depth at West Calder. Glad you home safe.

Thanks man, yeah I don’t think i’ve seen snow that deep (bar in photos from 1995/1996 when we lived at height and that was continuous snowfall). 

Plus there were monster icicles. 

It’s the drifting of the snow that is the killer. It’s really dreadful in pockets and I can easily see how it could get you stuck or make you crash. 

Best advice really is to not travel

• Like 1

Posted

off topic - sounds like an ice storm is ongoing on the south coast ...:cold:

on topic .. light snow continuing here but looks like all convection is lighter now as the front pushes in from the south

• Like 1

Posted
49 minutes ago, SW Saltire said:

Well saw most of the country today as I got to go home early ‘If you can dig yourself out’ so I did.

Went west cos thought M80 was open. Wasn’t. (Opened 10 mins afterwards) so went South East on M9 to Edinburgh and that was fine bar some snow drifts 

Fun really started thereafter as couldn’t go via Lanark or Penicuik as totally blocked roads so I went the Kilmarnock road from Broxburn (A71) and went due West until I hit Carluke and could join the M74 and went home.

Insane snow at places in Lothian. Winner was West Calder by a Glasgow mile. I’d say they have 3 feet of snow (not exaggerating). 

Quite scary when you really aren’t sure if the car is going to keep going but luckily all my fun on the quad bike making it skid from years ago paid off when the back end went a few times on a main road haha. 

Nearly died but didn’t die so all good. 

Even have some snow down here, about 4 inches here in Dumfries. Currently -3c

I can see how west Calder has taken a tanking. I'm about 9 miles due west of west Calder and we have some crazy scenes.

This is a 3 foot wall at the front of this garden:

IMG_8525.thumb.JPG.c0a8708411de83199d43dc0f17bcf45a.JPG

And this is one of the smaller drifts I captured earlier on but some of the drifts are beyond the several feet mark, sick of clearing the driveway now! 

IMG_8524.thumb.JPG.03438d6b9e33b21cbbf7d740b42a18b5.JPG

• Like 8

Posted
34 minutes ago, jellybaby1969 said:

Just looked at the snow radar..looks like a line of showers moving east to west going thru south Lanarkshire..? Can anyone confirm if south Lanarkshire is being hit ?

Yes it's hitting here hard. 

Sorry for the lack of snow pics. Been out in the snow. Drifting here is incredible. 

This 2mb limit is a pita. 

• Like 2

its just non stop at the moment and some really heavy stuff heading in on the radar. if this keeps up all night there will be some amazing drifts and totals in the morning.

Posted

Drying up over the Borders now. Flakes in the wind here, but nothing to get excited about.

The wind-sculpting of snow dunes is something to behold!

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!
26 minutes ago, JoeShmoe said:

off topic - sounds like an ice storm is ongoing on the south coast ...:cold:

on topic .. light snow continuing here but looks like all convection is lighter now as the front pushes in from the south

Yeah just read that - loads of them reporting 20cms of snow on the ground and still going while other areas have proper freezing rain/ice with windows and ground covered.

Great thread they have too - quality banter. Lovely people in there. (South West and South Central England Thread)

Sounds like it would be incredible if you were indoors watching it - never experienced something like that before! 

Oh and I am still waiting for that one magical heavy snow shower to blow through! :D

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

@hawesy you must have a decent covering by now? @sawel heavy showers on now. A nice convergence line for the third or fourth time today.?

https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/radar

• Like 1

Posted

Radar lining up nicely for the next wee while here, nothing too heavy but enough to keep up the relatively constant blizzard conditions. 

IMG_8533.PNG

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Absolutely pelting down ! I cannot believe the amount of snow falling ! 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
1 hour ago, More Snow said:

Heaviest snaw of the week so far, unbelievable this is stunning.

Some would say your best ever :clap:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

The A823 getting a bit narrow up in Perthshire. The official advice is "passable with care".

IMG_0092.JPG

• Like 3