Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
13 minutes ago, jamieson87 said:

Genuinely.. I think the red was put in place to make folk actually go home.. 

If the Amber stayed in place yesterday, not as many folk or workplaces would have taken the advise as seriously as they did. Can you imagine the carnage if everyone left work at 5 last night. 

My caring employer sent an email out saying "yes there's a red warning, but we remain open".  Now there's a red in Englandshire and everyone told not to come in down there!  And I speak as an Englandshirian...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Just sat on the toilet pan and then seen the sky suddenly go very dark and heavy snowfall starting! Pulled me scants up straight away and ran to the nearest window!!

This shower is more like - belting it doon!!!!! 

Edited by Mr Frost

Posted

UK Outlook for Tuesday 6 Mar 2018 to Thursday 15 Mar 2018:

Further rain, sleet and snow are expected at times on Tuesday and Wednesday. Northern parts are likely to see the snow, whereas rain or sleet are more likely further south. It will stay very cold in the north with brisk winds. In the south, it will be less cold, but cloud, mist and fog are likely, which may be slow to clear during the day. During the following week, and into mid-March it is likely to stay cold in the north, but temperatures could return nearer normal in the south, though still below average. Rain and strong winds are likely across the UK, perhaps turning to snow across central and northern parts. The best chance of drier conditions will be in the far north and northwest.

UK Outlook for Friday 16 Mar 2018 to Friday 30 Mar 2018:

The predominately easterly wind is likely to persist for a while across the north with colder than average weather here, but it may be a little milder at times in the south and southwest of the UK. There will continue to be a risk of snow across some central and northern areas, but in the far north and northwest it is likely to be drier. Night frost and ice will continue to occur at times. Later in March it may turn more unsettled and lh milder as westerly or southwesterly winds return. The timing of more Spring-like weather remains uncertain.

Updated: 15:06 on Thu 1 Mar 2018 GMT

long range forecast from the MetO today raised my eyebrow. Sounds like a long haul this one 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
On 23/02/2018 at 09:38, Norrance said:

I mentioned disruptive snowfall for this area in company last night for the first time. Got a mixed response including a couple who were for heading straight to the shops for milk and bread right away. Some scepticism though and I now have a bet on with one person that Dundee will have > 5cms of snow lying by next Thursday evening. I should say that the bet relates to the Western outskirts of the city, not Broughty Ferry. Think I might be on a winner.?

Seems like a lifetime away weatherwise since I made this bet. However now will be a winner in an hour or so. This means he and his wife are round to ours on Saturday evening and have to bring the goodies including wine and chocolate?

He has winters on his car as he commutes to Dyce so no excuse will be allowed.

If I had lost we were to go to theirs and bring barbecue food for him. Not so strange as you might expect as he has been known to barbecue under the garage swing door when snow is belting down!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

This is where my sister stays near Dublin, Ireland. It was on sky news, they are getting absolutely pasted with snow just now. She will send me pictures soon. It’s great to see many areas across the UK and  Ireland having some epic snowfalls :)

0E99E358-A45C-4225-B096-1B6762C83D38.thumb.jpeg.83e35c088bd8531200a4a02eb7888e7b.jpeg

• Like 5

Thanks all for updates and advice, ive booked her in to a hotel for an extra night, she is just very upset at being away and this weather problems has really shaken her up, if I wasn't looking after the other children I would be in the car driving to get her but its just not possible.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW :-D
45 minutes ago, edo said:

and to @over_the_rainbow the metoffice have said expect heavy showers to continue until middle of tomorrow and that plenty will strike the Perth and Kinross area, trouble is as you have highlighted it can be very localised and is no guarantee Perth and surrounding area get it. If we follow the pattern of the last 2 days we will get plenty following darkness...... weird how that has transpired.

Fingers crossed we get one more big hit

Today we had shower to left showers to right of us Perth stuck in the middle with nothing again! ?  @edo @over_the_rainbow I really hope we do get one big hit with 10cm of snow  ???❄️

• Like 2

Posted

Temperature at Leuchars has just popped above freezing for the first time since Tuesday. I know it’s more complicated than just 850s and thicknesses but -12c and 515dam seems a reasonable threshold for a 0c 2 metre temperature reading at sea level on the exposed east coast in a strong easterly set up. Again, something I will keep in the memory bank!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Epic snow amounts now ! It has never stopped all afternoon !! 

• Like 8

Posted

Had the day off uni today but Edinburgh University are opening tomorrow despite every other uni in the city remaining closed...

Posted
18 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

#optimistic

IMG-20180301-WA0029.jpeg

Hats off to Fife Council, not only keeping the roads cleared but our brown and green wheelies got emptied yesterday.

:hi:

Been artic here with virtually non stop snow all afternoon. Must have at least an inch on the paths I cleared this morning.

Edited by frogesque
  • Like 5

Posted

Mental again, and the BBC are filming on the bridge, do they know something we don't ?

Anyway having to build an extension in case they need a room for he night 

WP_20180301_17_44_15_Pro.thumb.jpg.b775ad5386be1ff6c6f8f5e781f61b88.jpgWP_20180301_17_44_06_Pro.thumb.jpg.8a8f8aeb1067fbde8233f667ff52ae44.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!
3 minutes ago, JoeShmoe said:

weve entered the twilight zone --- heaviest snaw i have ever seen !

Looks amazing on the radar! 

That will no doubt go through North of Glasgow City Centre very shortly. :rofl:

B76689F5-18AD-467C-9679-ECE0DA0F19C0.png

Posted
17 minutes ago, Allyw12 said:

Today we had shower to left showers to right of us Perth stuck in the middle with nothing again! ?  @edo @over_the_rainbow l I really hope we do get one big hit with 10cm of snow  ???❄️

Ally

I agree, we've still yet to hit the 'big one' so to speak.  Having said that, have been out a lot today and walking in it is very hard work, and my ankles are really killing me now! Must be the boots, as haven't used them in 8 years ;) 

Tim

• Like 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, JoeShmoe said:

weve entered the twilight zone --- heaviest snaw i have ever seen !

This latest batch is largely just skimming past here. Still very heavy but that streamer looks to be hugging the Forth and the next one looks to be going North and South of here. 

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, Cheggers said:

BBC broadcasting live outside oor hoose now

Walk past nonchalantly wearing a red scarf! 

You'll be a hit on Misreporting Scotland :laugh:

• Like 3