Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, frosty, snow....lots of snow! Oh....and more snow!
6 minutes ago, edo said:

and to @over_the_rainbow the metoffice have said expect heavy showers to continue until middle of tomorrow and that plenty will strike the Perth and Kinross area, trouble is as you have highlighted it can be very localised and is no guarantee Perth and surrounding area get it. If we follow the pattern of the last 2 days we will get plenty following darkness...... weird how that has transpired.

Fingers crossed we get one more big hit

I find the differences in some forecasts quite strange! It’s currently very heavy snow here, the path I cleared has covered over already within the last 10 minutes. Fingers crossed it keeps up like this ?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Frost and Thunderstorms

Seriously, how can East Kilbride miss so much snow !! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Blizzards, Storms, Sun, Lightening

Edinburgh looks like it is getting a bit of a pasting right now. Anyone there that can confirm?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter Sun in summer
2 minutes ago, Quinach said:

Some interesting things going on in the rainfall radar to the west of Huntly & Alford - https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/radar

Run the sequence just now and you see a number of stationary red signatures as circled - wonder if the rainfall radar is picking up wind turbines as I cannot think of any natural phenomena creating these radar signatures.

Snag_96751ed.thumb.png.7424c68a5ac469ffe96e01eef44a1466.png

yes if conditions are right they show up ie a drizzle or fine snow etc

• Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, WhiteXmas said:

Edinburgh looks like it is getting a bit of a pasting right now. Anyone there that can confirm?

yep, getting utterly clobbered !!

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, JoeShmoe said:

Looks like there is plenty more to come as well! 

• Like 2

Posted

When you look at Scotland on the radar there are streamers up and down the country.

image.png

• Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, JoeShmoe said:

Not half! Total whiteout conditions here now! Wasn't expecting this to be honest. Could end up with 8cm additional cover today. Hard to tell with drifting but I'm counting what I keep clearing :D

• Like 4

Posted
Just now, Polar Side said:

When you look at Scotland on the radar there are streamers up and down the country.

image.png

Just need some to come across south of Glasgow :D

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!
2 minutes ago, Ceitidh said:

Seriously, how can East Kilbride miss so much snow !! 

I seen @NorthernRab saying earlier Inverness had barely any either.

How much do you have there currently @Ceitidh?

I feel like I have entered the twighlight zone - usually you two always get all the snow! :rofl:

Posted
1 minute ago, Polar Side said:

image.png

Spot the gap on the east coast...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Was there any point in ending a red warning and going to an amber warning? It's the same bloody weather :rofl:

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Frost and Thunderstorms
2 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

I seen @NorthernRab saying earlier Inverness had barely any either.

How much do you have there currently @Ceitidh?

I feel like I have entered the twighlight zone - usually you two always get all the snow! :rofl:

We only have about 5 inches.  We seem to get the odd edge of passing showers to the north and south of us but very few direct hits.  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!
5 minutes ago, Ceitidh said:

We only have about 5 inches.  We seem to get the odd edge of passing showers to the north and south of us but very few direct hits.  

Yeah - same for me! It has been the story of the day! It is starting to grind my gears! :D

@Northern Strath ✊(although just today - still annoying! )

Edited by Mr Frost

Posted

I stand in solidarity with those spending a second day watching an enormous fe*kin conveyor belt of snow miss their area ✊

IMG_7357.thumb.PNG.79eb199a68ca6b4479b1baa5e49e7455.PNG

Edited by Northern Strath
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Getting as some would say 'pumped' again.... endless pasting all day today and wind whipping stuff up more today..

One to frame, lest we don't see it for a while again - the rare as hens teeth true Scandi High..

5a9834ffe790f_1051scandi.thumb.gif.220382fa45ec71a7156174dd20187a29.gif

Also loved where our beasterly cold pool has ended up from deepest Siberia to the Azores ! Radar loaded again, yeti footprints in garden from measuring the drift at 40 cm all filled in again.

gfs-13-6.thumb.png.d4750178fb040c0868147b91cbbe70cc.png

From the 12z it's around the 15 March by the time we go back to positive 850hPa temps!

Edited by lorenzo
  • Like 7

Posted
11 minutes ago, mardatha said:

Was there any point in ending a red warning and going to an amber warning? It's the same bloody weather :rofl:

Genuinely.. I think the red was put in place to make folk actually go home.. 

If the Amber stayed in place yesterday, not as many folk or workplaces would have taken the advise as seriously as they did. Can you imagine the carnage if everyone left work at 5 last night. 

Edited by jamieson87
  • Like 9

on a serious note, my wife and eldest child are stuck in Leeds as trains are cancelled any body in here from Edinburgh and surrounding areas keep me upto date on the train situation it would be a great help, she suffers with mental health problems and this extended time away is causing here real problems today and she is scared that she wont be able to get home tomorrow. any updates would be great, cheers all

Posted
2 minutes ago, jamieson87 said:

Genuinely.. I think the red was put in place to make folk actually go home.. 

That makes sense yes. TY.

Posted
2 minutes ago, More Snow said:

on a serious note, my wife and eldest child are stuck in Leeds as trains are cancelled any body in here from Edinburgh and surrounding areas keep me upto date on the train situation it would be a great help, she suffers with mental health problems and this extended time away is causing here real problems today and she is scared that she wont be able to get home tomorrow. any updates would be great, cheers all

At present ScotRail have a very limited service until 19:00.

Shall keep you posted. 

• Like 4

Posted

More Snow am sure somebody who knows will be in to advise you , but keep an eye on ScotRail website.

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

Yeah - same for me! It has been the story of the day! It is starting to grind my gears! :D

@Northern Strath ✊(although just today - still annoying! )

Yup, as great as this has been it is so frustrating seeing so many showers going North and South!

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, More Snow said:

all i can tell you is we have had a decent amount of fresh snow this afternoon (been near constant since 1pm) - and more to come per the radar so i would be very surprised if many trains are running north this evening but fingers crossed and hope thy are both ok