Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

I've had to move upstairs as can't see out the living room window for the snow sticking to it.

image.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,high winds, thunderstorms, extreme weather

4pm and the snow setting in again, in excess of 40cms now and drifting on top severely  now

4pm Blizzarding again.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.
1 minute ago, Polar Side said:

I've had to move upstairs as can't see out the living room window for the snow sticking to it.

image.jpeg

Robber.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

Nothing going on here now. Glorious sunshine so been for a wee walk. Can't see much more coming here now? Just the odd very light flurry over the next couple of days? Radar isn't working on my phone for some reason.

• Like 1

Posted

Anyone able to educate me on this ? Radar as fascinating as ever. Looks like 4 (arguably 5) streamers going east-west just now. All more or less spaced 25-30 miles apart (approximately). What causes that regularity, or is it more chaotic than that and I'm just seeing a pattern that isn't really there ?  

Screenshot from 2018-03-01 16-11-40.png

Posted

Mostly cloudy today here but very little snowfall.  

Posted

Had lull earlier but getting another horizontal pasting just now, can just about see the house on the opposite side of the road. Far more intense showers than yesterday.

• Like 2

Posted
13 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

It's common in a showery air flow, not really sure what causes it. Divergence/convergence?

I think its convergence lines ... so basically the sea breezes converge together and cause uplift / shower formation. So this is why you get bands that are miles apart as the air above a band is blowing 'down' into that convergence line and the air  below a band is blowing into it, hence why you get the gaps ... can only happen over the sea i think . As to where they form and why and how stable they are i really dont know !

Auckland_convergence.jpg

Edit. Looks like that line has gone north again and embra back in firing line of next batch - or maybe thats hopecasting :-)

Edited by JoeShmoe
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, frosty, snow....lots of snow! Oh....and more snow!

Well I’m very jealous of some of the snow depths on here but despite only being a few miles from Perth, we have a decent amount! 4-5” in most places with drifts over a foot! However, a further 5 miles along the road towards Crieff at my dads house there is over 12” on flat surfaces with drifts of 4-5 foot! 

We’ve just had a mental wee blizzard but the NW forecast is showing no more snow for us this evening! I find that hard to believe but could it be correct?!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Wooohooo heavy snow here now! :D

• Like 1

Posted

Back on here. This afternoon is turning out OK. Not anything like yesterday - but if I got over 4cms of lying snow in one afternoon at any other time I'd be delighted :D

• Like 4

Posted

Was out digging again.

My piles are getting bigger ! :D

image.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted
12 minutes ago, JoeShmoe said:

I think its convergence lines ... so basically the sea breezes converge together and cause uplift / shower formation. So this is why you get bands that are miles apart as the air above a band is blowing 'down' into that convergence line and the air  below a band is blowing into it, hence why you get the gaps ... can only happen over the sea i think . As to where they form and why and how stable they are i really dont know !

Auckland_convergence.jpg

Edit. Looks like that line has gone north again and embra back in firing line of next batch - or maybe thats hopecasting :-)

Cheers for that, I realised I was sagely go along with "convergence lines" as if I knew what I was talking about ! Yeah, looks like the line or streamer or whatever still has something for us :good:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!
12 minutes ago, Stormeh said:

Wooohooo heavy snow here now! :D

3 minutes ago, grifter said:

Here too!

Pelting doon here also!!!!! Wind is whipping it all over the place!!!! Proper whiteout!!!! :yahoo:

Does not look like it’s going to last long but I’ll take it!

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
10 minutes ago, Landylou said:

Well I’m very jealous of some of the snow depths on here but despite only being a few miles from Perth, we have a decent amount! 4-5” in most places with drifts over a foot! However, a further 5 miles along the road towards Crieff at my dads house there is over 12” on flat surfaces with drifts of 4-5 foot! 

We’ve just had a mental wee blizzard but the NW forecast is showing no more snow for us this evening! I find that hard to believe but could it be correct?!

and to @over_the_rainbow the metoffice have said expect heavy showers to continue until middle of tomorrow and that plenty will strike the Perth and Kinross area, trouble is as you have highlighted it can be very localised and is no guarantee Perth and surrounding area get it. If we follow the pattern of the last 2 days we will get plenty following darkness...... weird how that has transpired.

Fingers crossed we get one more big hit

• Like 6

Posted
4 minutes ago, LeithRayOfSunshine said:

Cheers for that, I realised I was sagely go along with "convergence lines" as if I knew what I was talking about ! Yeah, looks like the line or streamer or whatever still has something for us :good:

given its hammering down again, i think the answer is aye it does :-)

• Like 2

Posted

Looking wild again !

image.jpeg

• Like 6

Posted
4 minutes ago, grifter said:

Here too!

Lovely isn't it especially with the high winds, jammy gits further north and east who've had this more prolonged :rofl:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter Sun in summer
3 minutes ago, doctormog said:

Out of curiosity is there currently some kind of convection going on up here/off the coast associated with Emma moving north? https://de.sat24.com/de/gb/visual 

i hope something happens its been pretty boring watching the odd flake pass by for the last few hours while to the north and south see heaps lol

Posted

Some interesting things going on in the rainfall radar to the west of Huntly & Alford - https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/radar

Run the sequence just now and you see a number of stationary red signatures as circled - wonder if the rainfall radar is picking up wind turbines as I cannot think of any natural phenomena creating these radar signatures.

Snag_96751ed.thumb.png.7424c68a5ac469ffe96e01eef44a1466.png