Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

Hey everyone,

I am from Leeds and you guys look to have it bad. My partner is due to travel down from East Lothian (Prestonpans to be exact) down the A1 or the A68 route to Leeds either tonight or tmrw.

Can anyone say what the roads will be like and if likely ploughed or gritted. I can see the A1 seems clear from Newcastle downwards.

Hoping everyone stays safe wherever you are.

Thank you.

• Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, richardc1983 said:

Hey everyone,

I am from Leeds and you guys look to have it bad. My partner is due to travel down from East Lothian (Prestonpans to be exact) down the A1 or the A68 route to Leeds either tonight or tmrw.

Can anyone say what the roads will be like and if likely ploughed or gritted. I can see the A1 seems clear from Newcastle downwards.

Thank you.

It's still going to be an Amber Warning which is serious.

I'd suggest postponing if possible until at least the weekend...

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, GraemeB said:

It's still going to be an Amber Warning which is serious.

I'd suggest postponing if possible until at least the weekend...

Yeah we are thinking that there would be no point coming down on the Sat to then go back home on the Sunday so unless the roads are clear and gritted then might as well move weekends.

Posted
4 minutes ago, richardc1983 said:

Hey everyone,

Thank you.

Fair bit of snow in Prestonpans, I’d say somewhere around 15-20cm. Roads are bad but passable with care here. Unsure what it’s like on the A1 though. 

• Like 2

Posted
8 hours ago, Mr Frost said:

Brother lives in Bowling, West Dumbartonshire directly on the North bank of the Firth of Clyde! Just amazing to see this much at sea level! (Just sent me a couple of pictures below.) 

Regarding the trough at lunchtime - it looks as though we are in for another hit! 

09643983-FEE0-420D-B07D-4868ED01D946.png

FA1F7A0C-F012-41EC-9339-E7B14E9DD072.png

8172A0D0-D6F7-4FDB-A137-BDD99BD4DB5F.png

My folks stay in Inverclyde, they are telling me the levels on top of cars is about 2 feet, and it looks like the cars are all merging into one line!. I think people near the Clyde have done even better than places like Renfrewshire/Paisley where I am. Hard to actually gauge what we have here, would say about a foot going by across the street's hedge.

Amazing to see the Beast stretching right over towards the US and then being sucked up into a Greenland high!

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=3.26,34.04,298

Edited by grifter
  • Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, Snowman09 said:

Fair bit of snow in Prestonpans, I’d say somewhere around 15-20cm. Roads are bad but passable with care here. Unsure what it’s like on the A1 though. 

That's really useful thank you.Not sure where to look to find out about the A1. I know Dunbar was closed last night due to the snow.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, richardc1983 said:

That's really useful thank you.Not sure where to look to find out about the A1. I know Dunbar was closed last night due to the snow.

TrafficScotland.org

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Got out briefly with the decent camera before a blizzard beat us back.

10 year old girl for road snow scale.

Officially cut off; drifts well deeper than the base of the car.

IMG_2515.JPG

IMG_2518.JPG

IMG_2521.JPG

IMG_2524.JPG

IMG_2528.JPG

IMG_2529.JPG

IMG_2535.JPG

• Like 9

Posted

some great pics there.  Less than that depth here in Morningside, but still the most we've had since Dec 10.  Still some fools driving too fast along treacherous roads here! (and a prize muppet who had cleared a small space on windscreen of snow, but left the entire car covered, including every other window...)

Edited by pdiddy
  • Like 3

Posted

I believe now this is better than March 2006/2010 and the Janurary 16/17 events combined. Seriously never known anything like this

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, pdiddy said:

some great pics there.  Less than that depth here in Morningside, but still the most we've had since Dec 10.  Still some fools driving too fast along treacherous roads here! (and a prize muppet who had cleared a small space on windscreen of snow, but left the entire car covered, including every other window...)

could be worse. some guy in my street left his car windows open and theres snaw all over the inside of his car !!

looks like incoming to Embra in next ten mins

• Like 6

Posted
12 minutes ago, Cheggers said:

TrafficScotland.org

The website appears to be down at the moment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
1 hour ago, ECOSSE1650 said:

Sorry to inform Edo in Perth but it's snowing handkerchief size flakes in Motherwell at 0830.

quite relaxed mate....happy with my 13cm and the quality of the snow :)

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, moffatross said:

I can't find your prediction for Moffat but I've just been for a wade around in the powder and it's truly impressive stuff from an Easterly *. It's hard to tell, what with the drifting, but there's somewhere between 15 to 20 cm of some of the most delightful powdery goodness outside the hoose, some much deeper drifts, and the snow showers are still rattling by. How's Hawesy-land looking ? :)

*Edit - usually, Moffat's weather is just pure cold, braw and sunny out of an Easterly, whether it's autumn, winter, spring or summer.

I gave you 10cm so underdone! :sorry: But better that than overdone....folks seem more forgiving, somehow! :D

Windy with light snow showers here this morning, we probably have about 6cm right on the coast but it’s been blown all over the place so virtually impossible to measure!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Never seen snow like this...

Only born end of 1995 admittedly so those v snowy years of 1995 and 96 etc are not remembered by me. Really the millenium onwards is when I can remember from.

Over a foot here at height in Kincardine, pretty much snowed in. I will have to dig my car out

• Like 1

Posted

Definitely better than 2010 here, indeed this is the most snow I've seen since the 90's

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, More Snow said:

snaw back on, schools closed and Mrs Snow is stuck in leeds unable to get home.

full set right there mate :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

It's gone bonkers up here now. How odd that as soon as the red warning was announced, our snow stopped. And as soon as it expired, our heaviest snow for two days has started falling ;-)

• Like 6

Posted
1 hour ago, WhiteXmas said:

I'm very interested (excited) to see how this afternoon pans out having seen a couple of of those Fax charts and the trough going right through the central belt. Just beginning to snow again here - should have a few "on and off" showers throughout this morning going by the radar. 

aboot time one of these bad boys went 50 miles North..... tantalisingly close to Perth on the models Ruzzi posted

• Like 4

Posted

Amber warning extended to Friday morning now. Warning area also appears larger.

• Like 5