Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross
1 minute ago, Glaswegianblizzard said:

Make sure you take supplies mate. The news here intereviewed a guy stuck on the motorway who only had two mars bars - take more than that,

Will do.

Posted
1 hour ago, Mr Frost said:

@Cheggers is this you?

You are an absolute legend and deserve all the praise you get mate. 

4EE88320-FDFA-4956-9D06-9E1386A3C9EE.png

BD16D666-4329-41CC-B70A-6BE209625B4E.png

Not me, was outside with wife and eldest going car to car, but the twitter is us.

Edited by Cheggers
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

Not a 2010 here buttt I'm still happy with a day off work and school. Plenty of snaw to sledge in, build snowfolk and for the dog to bounce in. I'm not driving anywhere today. :good:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.
1 minute ago, Glaswegianblizzard said:

Make sure you take supplies mate. The news here intereviewed a guy stuck on the motorway who only had two mars bars - take more than that,

Would hate to be stuck in one of these situations and I'm not "blaming" everyone who got stuck. But seeing on social media that some folk were somehow expecting to be checked in their vehicles by emergency services. How is that meant to work ? Hundreds of cars and lorries and only so many police and local authority workers who can deal with the situation. Crazy expectations folk have in these situations. 

• Like 3

Posted

Yet another shower complete with thunder clap a few minutes ago. Wild night with high winds, snow, lightning and the full works.

Stay safe everyone, it ain't over yet

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Beginning with S ending with W ;)
30 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

Just been out having a chat with the neighbours - no-one has made it out the street including myself. Cars just sitting all over the place and roads covered with drifting snow - truly incredible.

Back in the kitchen to make a wee cup of tea! Lovely view! 

8C75DA28-A148-428B-B4B5-E18076E2753B.jpeg

On my way to work this morning (walking it to Gorbals) and was like a ghost town with Castlemilk Drive especially quiet and pretty bad. As you say incredible, not far off 2010 for snow depth in this area of City.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Nice wee line of showers passing through here. Must be at least 20cm level snow with plenty of nice drifts :)

EA4A04D3-2D05-4D06-90D6-AD2C734048F7.thumb.jpeg.c28155577253355b1d815a118bde15fa.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted

Couple of hefty showers this morning with probably an extra cm or so down in the last hour

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Just seen a couple of pictures on twitter - first one is Dumbarton and second one is Alexandria. 

Just North of Glasgow city centre seemed to be getting pummelled all night and this morning - anyone in that zone? 

95C82492-153C-48F7-AFBF-08E7A3C6F4E1.png

67A4730C-A328-4327-80F0-9A0F2184AF90.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Not 2010 level here either, not even close, but 2010 was truly exceptional around here with day after day of top ups. Didn't have much overnight here but this morning the showers are merging to give longer spells of quite impressive snow. In a lull I measured between 10 and 15cm in the back garden, which is quite sheltered. It'll be drifting higher elsewhere. 

IMG_20180301_085953.thumb.jpg.5017d12a31a0dab05ed422e0f084f248.jpg IMG_20180301_090123.thumb.jpg.20063b095d608c0a4f9954170ec64bbb.jpg

Edit: The cars and drive were cleared yesterday, even although we weren't going anywhere. 

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Blizzards, Storms, Sun, Lightening

I'm very interested (excited) to see how this afternoon pans out having seen a couple of of those Fax charts and the trough going right through the central belt. Just beginning to snow again here - should have a few "on and off" showers throughout this morning going by the radar. 

Posted
26 minutes ago, over_the_rainbow said:

Not a 2010 here buttt I'm still happy with a day off work and school. Plenty of snaw to sledge in, build snowfolk and for the dog to bounce in. I'm not driving anywhere today. :good:

otr

I quite agree... nothing like 2010, in fact I reckon about a third of that I think... currently at 7.5 cm / 3 inches or so, but still coming down (just checked and really heavy now for a change!) However, having had an approximately 2 mile or so walk in it this morning, it does temper ones enthusiasm somewhat.  Must also give a shout out to @101_North who was spot on about the school closures... exactly right mate, and I was certainly wrong to scoff :) 

Good luck to everyone today and stay safe!

Tim

• Like 2

Posted

Our snowy street after a bit of a dig out.

image.jpeg

Edited by Polar Side
  • Like 8

Posted
18 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

Just seen a couple of pictures on twitter - first one is Dumbarton and second one is Alexandria. 

Just North of Glasgow city centre seemed to be getting pummelled all night and this morning - anyone in that zone? 

95C82492-153C-48F7-AFBF-08E7A3C6F4E1.png

67A4730C-A328-4327-80F0-9A0F2184AF90.png

About 7 miles Noryh West of Dumbarton and its very bad. Everything going through Stirling has hit us plus a good chunk of the Streamer has banded with it just before reaching us. At full pelt the intensity of these showers/mini bands really is impressive

Edited by CameronWS
  • Like 1

Posted

The heaviest showers this am are certainly north of the central belt through fife and Stirling - pretty quiet here compared to yesterday afternoon/evening so have to see if picks up again later

Having said that the blue sky and sun on the snaw is beautiful ! And no sign of much melt as yet

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Brother lives in Bowling, West Dumbartonshire directly on the North bank of the Firth of Clyde! Just amazing to see this much at sea level! (Just sent me a couple of pictures below.) 

Regarding the trough at lunchtime - it looks as though we are in for another hit! 

09643983-FEE0-420D-B07D-4868ED01D946.png

FA1F7A0C-F012-41EC-9339-E7B14E9DD072.png

8172A0D0-D6F7-4FDB-A137-BDD99BD4DB5F.png

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 3

Posted

Another hefty shower and close to another cm on previously cleared paths. That's about 2cm in showers totalling 30mins!

• Like 1

Posted
8 hours ago, Mr Frost said:

Brother lives in Bowling, West Dumbartonshire directly on the North bank of the Firth of Clyde! Just amazing to see this much at sea level! (Just sent me a couple of pictures below.) 

Regarding the trough at lunchtime - it looks as though we are in for another hit! 

09643983-FEE0-420D-B07D-4868ED01D946.png

FA1F7A0C-F012-41EC-9339-E7B14E9DD072.png

8172A0D0-D6F7-4FDB-A137-BDD99BD4DB5F.png

My folks stay in Inverclyde, they are telling me the levels on top of cars is about 2 feet, and it looks like the cars are all merging into one line!. I think people near the Clyde have done even better than places like Renfrewshire/Paisley where I am. Hard to actually gauge what we have here, would say about a foot going by across the street's hedge. Think parts of Glasgow got an absolute hammering too.

Edited by grifter
  • Like 1