Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
24 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Showers have been on and off this morning. This is the main road almost a mile away from my house:

Crazy, mental, insane!!

Walked to that postbox with the family yesterday. Daughter built a snow hole in the drifts! Glad to get back in the end, bitterly cold. More snow overnight. Amazing.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

I take it that all available gritters were deployed to the motorways last night?   Roads round here are all impacted.  Traffic sparse.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Just been out having a chat with the neighbours - no-one has made it out the street including myself. Cars just sitting all over the place and roads covered with drifting snow - truly incredible.

Back in the kitchen to make a wee cup of tea! Lovely view! 

8C75DA28-A148-428B-B4B5-E18076E2753B.jpeg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy

Was just going to post about Mwell :D must be nearly another inch added over the last half hour.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Morning all, a question for you guys....how accurate was the red alert issued yesterday? Was the specified area accurate, or larger/smaller than predicted? Asking because we've been issued with one down here, I'm about 20 miles outside the zone but as I have places to be etc, I'm wondering if I need to re-think some stuff. Don't worry, I'm not a total loon, I have a Landy not a little town car.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

I actually have to go into work today although not before the red warning is removed at 10am. It's a really strange scene looking out my front window, there are dunes of smooth powdery snow lying as if it has been untouched. Nobody appears to have ventured outside and I would imagine that's the case across most of the Central Belt.

Really can't recall such a pasting of snow here, so relentless and intense at times. Then when there's a lull and you think it's going to clear up, within seconds you're enveloped again. There was the Nov 2010 event that people mentioned, but I don't recall that 1) lasting so long, and 2) being so intense. It has been snowing intermittently here since Tuesday night! Some places it's barely stopped!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
13 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

I take it that all available gritters were deployed to the motorways last night?   Roads round here are all impacted.  Traffic sparse.

Hardly anything moving here either. Plenty of duvet days being taken.

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.
9 minutes ago, jethro said:

Morning all, a question for you guys....how accurate was the red alert issued yesterday? Was the specified area accurate, or larger/smaller than predicted? Asking because we've been issued with one down here, I'm about 20 miles outside the zone but as I have places to be etc, I'm wondering if I need to re-think some stuff. Don't worry, I'm not a total loon, I have a Landy not a little town car.

If you are 20 miles outside the zone consider yourself as part of it. Even if it doesn't affect you quite so bad at least you'll be prepared.

I was just inside the red zone here in the centre of Glasgow - the shpe of the zone almost missed parts of the city out but I can't imagine conditions are radically different. I was walking home in a blizzard about 45 minutes before the warning began and it seemed quite dangerous then - little to no visibility, driving cold wind. It was certainly warranted - it had the effect of clearing the streets in Glasgow, most employers sending staff home early and people remaining safe in their homes. If the working day had continued anything like approaching normal there would have been carnage, and far more repeats of the M80 incident. 

EDIT: Have a good think whether you really have places to be that warrant driving around whilst there's a red met office warning. If you're providing an essential service then fine, otherwise I'd strongly suggest that whatever place you need to be can wait for you.

Edited by Glaswegianblizzard
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw
9 minutes ago, jethro said:

Spot on and we're used to snow here with excellent plough / gritter response. Farmers all out with their emergency ploughs on etc. Even with that we've had a motorway incident with folk trapped.

Your problem would be your landrover can't drive over the top of regular cars / jackknifed lorries when they're blocking the road. So stay away from the main roads where there's traffic if you really must go out and totally avoid the red zone.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.
7 minutes ago, jethro said:

Fairly accurate. Just outside the red area here and we've been hammered. I'd be staying put if I were you. Stay safe. 

MOV_20180301_0705520~2.mp4

Edited by Polar Gael
  • Like 1

Posted

How am I going to take a bin lid measurement later? My bin is almost buried, but that picture won't upload. Trampolines are almost buried as well

WP_20180301_08_40_06_Pro.thumb.jpg.dc22e1f145e576fd5ffe49553453b39e.jpgWP_20180301_08_31_00_Pro.thumb.jpg.1b14cf0496ecb8cbc541d924f7abd3c9.jpgWP_20180301_08_23_17_Pro.thumb.jpg.3b05cf43a23f271201be762ef09c8daf.jpgWP_20180301_08_21_46_Pro.thumb.jpg.3e51d39d7761bb40f8d8466885539518.jpg

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!
14 minutes ago, jethro said:

Morning 

I was 7 miles outside the red warning and still managed 7 inches level snow and 9.5 to 10 inches in the drifts/dunes. The speed at which it accumulates is remarkable! 

It will all really come down to now nowcasting and keeping a close eye on the radar.

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 1

Posted

About an another inch has fallen overnight with the snow total exceeding 2010 at 26cm. Beautiful blue skies but very cold. 

Edited by A Winter's Tale
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Really windy here now.   That won't help either  It's blowing everywhere.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Bigger gaps inbetween but another talcum powder hit here. Once these things get going it's hard to separate whats falling from the sky, from the spindrift being kicked up from roofs and streets.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero
7 minutes ago, Polar Gael said:

Fairly accurate. Just outside the red area here and we've been hammered. I'd be staying put if I were you. Stay safe. 

MOV_20180301_0705520~2.mp4

Conversely.....we were in the red area and have very little to show for it. Mostly just very cold, very fast fog ;-)

Edited by Benvironment
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm a gardener (don't laugh, in this weather!) Trouble is the folk I work for are mostly in London, leaving dogs for staff to deal with, I was rather gung ho yesterday when I said 'I'll be in, leave the dogs inside' but that's because I didn't want the dogs kicked out & left out at 6.30am. I've got to get there and back to feed them or they'll go hungry. Quite right in saying other vehicles are the problem, I can get through so long as there are none around, that said, I live on top of the Mendip hills so it could be tricky with the drifting. Sooner I go and all that.

Thank you!

• Like 3

Posted

Bin lid still doing ok although it's in a bit of a sheltered spot.:)

image.jpeg

• Like 6

Posted

Some great pics.   Seems we have got off extremely lightly on the north east coast.    Had another light covering overnight but nothing to get excited about.    Drifting appears to be the enemy of the roads up here at the moment.

Looks like the worst of the snow has now passed so hopefully some of you can get out and enjoy it while it lasts.  

Posted
1 minute ago, jethro said:

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm a gardener (don't laugh, in this weather!) Trouble is the folk I work for are mostly in London, leaving dogs for staff to deal with, I was rather gung ho yesterday when I said 'I'll be in, leave the dogs inside' but that's because I didn't want the dogs kicked out & left out at 6.30am. I've got to get there and back to feed them or they'll go hungry. Quite right in saying other vehicles are the problem, I can get through so long as there are none around, that said, I live on top of the Mendip hills so it could be tricky with the drifting. Sooner I go and all that.

Thank you!

Make sure you take supplies mate. The news here intereviewed a guy stuck on the motorway who only had two mars bars - take more than that,

• Like 2

Posted
14 hours ago, Hawesy said:

Still 5 hours to go until my prediction deadline....looks like a very mixed bag, on balance more miss than hit. 

For a few folks I underestimated a bit, here’s looking at you @mardatha @Cheggers, among others. For a few more I don’t think I’ll be far out @snowy owl @Ruzzi but for most of the Fife, Perth and Dundee contingent I predicted way more than has fallen (barring a miracle). 

Im giving myself 4/10 at this stage, certainly not up to the standard of my predictions during the January events.

Still, it’s all just fun and I certainly don’t take myself seriously. Still, I’m puzzled as to why there’s been a relative dearth of snow around north Fife, Perth and Dundee so if more knowledgeable members such as @lorenzo @LomondSnowstorm Or @CatchMyDrift can shed light on this I’d be grateful (and it might get @edo off my back) :D

The other thing I learned is, man, that Edinburgh contingent is demanding! I mean @101_North fair enough, I expect it, but it must be in the water! :D

I can't find your prediction for Moffat but I've just been for a wade around in the powder and it's truly impressive stuff from an Easterly *. It's hard to tell, what with the drifting, but there's somewhere between 15 to 20 cm of some of the most delightful powdery goodness outside the hoose, some much deeper drifts, and the snow showers are still rattling by. How's Hawesy-land looking ? :)

*Edit - usually, Moffat's weather is just pure cold, braw and sunny out of an Easterly, whether it's autumn, winter, spring or summer.

Edited by moffatross
  • Like 2