Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

A nice wee shower coming through now with a flash of lightning and peel of thunder.  Hopefully this is the start of something a bit more notable for Glenrothes now

• Like 1

Posted

In the absence of interesting weather :rofl: I went for a sneaky pint after work. Group of guys at one table were talking about the foot of snow due to fall tonight (I didn’t have the heart to say that was somewhat unlikely in Broughty Ferry 

:D) while another group were mocking the red warning from the Met Office because there was virtually no snow outside (let’s leave aside the fact that Dundee isn’t in the red warning area). Two conclusions to draw:

1) unless it happens in your backyard very few folk are interested or have any sense of the ‘bigger perspective’

2) what kind of idiot would get involved in the snow prediction game....:D

@Norrance @Sawel can we go back to a yellow warning, please? Delivered much more than the amber....

:oops:

• Like 5

Posted
56 minutes ago, jamieson87 said:

Forgive me if I'm being daft.... 

That's chart is valid for Friday...? 

The red is right over Edinburgh? 

It's an accumulated precipitation chart for what falls between now and midnight on Friday.

The red looks to be over Penicuik to me, certainly not the city centre area anyway. 

Saying that, the models don't seem to be dealing particularly well with the sheer number of showers actually forming...

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, WhiteXmas said:

You hero

Ah, it's the ghost from Christmas past! The weather must be bad if you're back posting :wink:

I was very well prepared, 4wd and winter tyres  and timed it well with the radar. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Hawesy said:

In the absence of interesting weather :rofl: I went for a sneaky pint after work. Group of guys at one table were talking about the foot of snow due to fall tonight (I didn’t have the heart to say that was somewhat unlikely in Broughty Ferry 

:D) while another group were mocking the red warning from the Met Office because there was virtually no snow outside (let’s leave aside the fact that Dundee isn’t in the red warning area). Two conclusions to draw:

1) unless it happens in your backyard very few folk are interested or have any sense of the ‘bigger perspective’

2) what kind of idiot would get involved in the snow prediction game....:D

@Norrance @Sawel can we go back to a yellow warning, please? Delivered much more than the amber....

:oops:

Been a disappointing day in general - had about 9cms fall yesterday evening up until 4am this morning and only a cm or so since. So you're right - the yellow warning overdelivered and the amber warning has been a big let down so far!

I'll never forget the whiteout and extreme windchill last night. Will look back on these videos and pics I have for years to come. The most severe and extreme snow and windchill I've experienced!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Blizzards, Storms, Sun, Lightening
1 minute ago, Ross B said:

Ah, it's the ghost from Christmas past! The weather must be bad if you're back posting :wink:

I was very well prepared, 4wd and winter tyres  and timed it well with the radar. 

Correct! We were driving on the M6 yesterday and was pretty bad at certain points, today must have been hell at times. 

Posted
1 minute ago, WhiteXmas said:

Correct! We were driving on the M6 yesterday and was pretty bad at certain points, today must have been hell at times. 

Nice to see you back, yeah it snowed all the way from the border, I've got some good dashcam footage so will upload at some stage. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

The transport minister is now giving lectures on twitter to those who have ventured out onto the motorways and trunk roads today. 

He absolutely has a point, but just pretty funny seeing a government minister like that. Brave man, but if (as likely) the press come after him when people get stranded tonight, they cannot say he wasn't there giving the warnings.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
35 minutes ago, Glaswegianblizzard said:

I know someone who told me about being caught in blizzards in Iceland (not Scandi I realise but the same issues apply) and even there when there was too much snow everyone was told to hunker down until the worst of it past. Not sure many places would have coped particularly well with that today.

The first big one in Canada usually catches them out too!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw
11 minutes ago, Glaswegianblizzard said:

The transport minister is now giving lectures on twitter to those who have ventured out onto the motorways and trunk roads today. 

He absolutely has a point, but just pretty funny seeing a government minister like that. Brave man, but if (as likely) the press come after him when people get stranded tonight, they cannot say he wasn't there giving the warnings.

I've been warning people about this for over a week, and increasingly so as it became reality.

Told everyone in the office who'd gone in today (just people within a few miles) to leave early afternoon when the snaw finally hit Edinburgh.

He's right to say there is a huge lot of personal responsibility in this situation.

Although there are some idiot bosses making silly demands of people too. Such people should take care here, as if something happens to staff when they were forced into making a dangerous trip, the company is responsible. Companies do have a duty of care for employees.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Whiteout again here and very gusty winds, liking the look of this tweet by ryan maue https://twitter.com/RyanMaue/status/968918795963289600

Edited by Kirkcaldy Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Dumbarton road a short while ago. Cars have been stuck and some passers by going past on cross country skis. Mountain rescue vehicles taking hospital workers in to work.

IMG_0076.JPG

Edited by Norrance
Picture
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.
6 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

I've been warning people about this for over a week, and increasingly so as it became reality.

Told everyone in the office who'd gone in today (just people within a few miles) to leave early afternoon when the snaw finally hit Edinburgh.

He's right to say there is a huge lot of personal responsibility in this situation.

Although there are some idiot bosses making silly demands of people too. Such people should take care here, as if something happens to staff when they were forced into making a dangerous trip, the company is responsible. Companies do have a duty of care for employees.

He was on TV there saying that there may be questions raised with hauliers whose lorries have been responsible for blockages. I think questions should also be raised by the government with employers who forced their staff to travel to/from work in this situation.

Usually when there is cold and snowy weather I tend to think our response can be pretty poor here compared to other places, but that absolutely doesn't apply today. I walked home from work early afternoon - before the red warning came into effect - and it was unpleasant enough then, possibly dangerous even. Expecting make those journeys during the red warning period, to provide anything other than essential services, is totally unacceptable.

• Like 1

Posted

Still 5 hours to go until my prediction deadline....looks like a very mixed bag, on balance more miss than hit. 

For a few folks I underestimated a bit, here’s looking at you @mardatha @Cheggers, among others. For a few more I don’t think I’ll be far out @snowy owl @Ruzzi but for most of the Fife, Perth and Dundee contingent I predicted way more than has fallen (barring a miracle). 

Im giving myself 4/10 at this stage, certainly not up to the standard of my predictions during the January events.

Still, it’s all just fun and I certainly don’t take myself seriously. Still, I’m puzzled as to why there’s been a relative dearth of snow around north Fife, Perth and Dundee so if more knowledgeable members such as @lorenzo @LomondSnowstorm Or @CatchMyDrift can shed light on this I’d be grateful (and it might get @edo off my back) :D

The other thing I learned is, man, that Edinburgh contingent is demanding! I mean @101_North fair enough, I expect it, but it must be in the water! :D

Edited by Hawesy
  • Like 6

Posted

Looks like I am now out with the main band and not much more coming in my direction. Difficult to tell how much here given it has blown about but I reckon 10cms plus. Good going for an easterly here.

Looking mental within the band through the central belt.

• Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

Still 5 hours to go until my prediction deadline....looks like a very mixed bag, on balance more miss than hit. 

For a few folks I underestimated a bit, here’s looking at you @mardatha @Cheggers, among others. For a few more I don’t think I’ll be far out @snowy owl @Ruzzi but for most of the Fife, Perth and Dundee contingent I predicted way more than has fallen (barring a miracle). 

Im giving myself 4/10 at this stage, certainly not up to the standard of my predictions during the January events.

Still, it’s all just fun and I certainly don’t take myself seriously. Still, I’m puzzled as to why there’s been a relative dearth of snow around north Fife, Perth and Dundee so if more knowledgeable members such as @lorenzo @LomondSnowstorm Or @CatchMyDrift can shed light on this I’d be grateful (and it might get @edo off my back) :D

The other thing I learned is, man, that Edinburgh contingent is demanding! :D

You still have these 5 hours. You never know but I can't see the underestimated melting that much??

Ps Dundee has historically done very well from Easterlies. 1978,1980, 1987 etc. The only difference that I can see is that Mr H moved to Broughty Ferry recently ?

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 1

Posted

Snow during the day has sometimes been like beads of styrofoam. At the minute it's very fine powder. Not had huge accumulations but it's blowing around like a dervish