Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw
11 minutes ago, sn0wman said:

A very distinct trend in latest mesoscale models to set up an intense streamer south of Edinburgh overnight:

42 Hour Accumulated Precip

The WRF-NMM and Euro4 are showing this pretty clearly too. Would be heartbreaking for Edinburgh if it came off like that! :closedeyes:  

Still scope for it to move northwards, although models seem pretty consistent on this so not too sure.

Come to SS...:diablo:

• Like 1

Posted

Some very intense showers just entering the firth now at a favourable angle for continued development. I'd say South Queensferry to around Grangemouth region could be really badly affected by these in 30-50 mins time. 

• Like 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, ghoneym said:

Whats the roads like up your way, was supposed to be going to the car auctions tonight

I haven’t been out but gritters have been out all day I think. Been a lot of accidents m90 j5/6 and loch road was bad last night. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!
16 minutes ago, sn0wman said:

A very distinct trend in latest mesoscale models to set up an intense streamer south of Edinburgh overnight:

The WRF-NMM and Euro4 are showing this pretty clearly too. Would be heartbreaking for Edinburgh if it came off like that! :closedeyes:  

Still scope for it to move northwards, although models seem pretty consistent on this so not too sure.

Right over my hoose!

• Like 3

Posted

Have had non stop blizzard like conditions most of today. I think my estate must be cut off now as there are drifts of 2 to 3 feet everywhere. The level snow is really hard to estimate but I'd say approx 20cm. I'll try to upload some pictures later.

• Like 5

Posted

@Norrance - no difference up here, measured 9-10cms although there's been a lot of drifting. My higher altitude and being further inland is not making any difference at the moment!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

It’s gonae take until next winter to read through all the posts in here!

• Like 5

Posted

Hard to put into words how exceptional this is. 2006 March we had a pretty epic snow event.......2009 had some and November/December 2010 don't need to mention them again do I? but I believe for a single day event this has eclipsed anything i've seen (OK 2010 had multiple events that made that pretty special) but can't even remember anything like we had today even during that epic spell (and just another gift for the epicness that the winter of 2017/18 has been)

• Like 1

Posted

I survived!  drove 180 miles home through the amber and then red zones. The roads were empty as not many people were as stupid as me thankfully so it let me make good progress :rofl:

Loads of snow here, no idea how much as its drifted all over the place, certainly more than I'd expect from an easterly and the biggest dump of the winter!

Edited by Ross B
  • Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, BurntFishTrousers said:

Stuck in traffic and was gonna go for a pee. Then thought better of it!

pb.jpg

I hate being watched whilst I pee. 

Posted
35 minutes ago, sn0wman said:

Forgive me if I'm being daft.... 

That's chart is valid for Friday...? 

The red is right over Edinburgh? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Blizzards, Storms, Sun, Lightening
4 minutes ago, Ross B said:

I survived!  drove 180 miles home through the amber and then red zones. The roads were empty as not many people were as stupid as me thankfully so it let me make good progress :rofl:

Loads of snow here, no idea how much as its drifted all over the place, certainly more than I'd expect from an easterly and the biggest dump of the winter!

You hero

Posted
36 minutes ago, sn0wman said:

If that pans out we're gonna get hammered here and we're now at about 8 inches with 2.5 ft drifts in places.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

18 cm here on the (sheltered) picnic bench. God knows for the drifts beyond the garden.

Blawin a whiteoot hoolie.

Edited by scottish skier

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.
9 minutes ago, Penicuikblizzard said:

A question,,,,how is the streamer heavier in the west of the country when it’s coming in from the east,,,,what is fuelling the energy??

I understand some of the reasons for it I think but not all. Better geeks on this forum who can explain this ahem..travesty ! :laugh:

Edited by LeithRayOfSunshine

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.
2 minutes ago, jamieson87 said:

Forgive me if I'm being daft.... 

That's chart is valid for Friday...? 

The red is right over Edinburgh? 

Certainly right over @101_North Looks like he might need to get more Single Malt in :ninja:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1