Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

Anything good on the telly tonight ? Only kidding. I was dreaming of the rain/snow radar last night, and .......................

The snow is blizzard like in Cambuslang. Must be about 10 cm, will need to go and measure it. I haven't seen anything likei it. Looking east on the radar, I almost don't want to mention it in case it changes. The map is all Pink(snaw) out to the North Sea.

They may need to up the Warning to double Red.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.
1 minute ago, Staffordshire said:

What sort of totals have you guys got thus far, before the red warning has came into play?

I think here in Central Glasgow we were probably 15, possibly even 20cm, with drifting snow. Remember that's in the middle of a large urban area which is sheltered from the worst weather.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Staffordshire said:

What sort of totals have you guys got thus far, before the red warning has came into play?

Around 12-15cm level - really hard to measure accurately. Drifting to over a foot. 

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Spindrift2017 said:

The operators of Cairngorm, Glenshee and The Lecht ski centre must be scunnered seeing all this snow pile into the central belt and the Borders.  A few days ago it looked as though it would be them catching some of the heaviest snowfalls - looks like they have caught relatively little.

Bags of snow hitting the Cairngorms thankfully Spindrift,  Glenshee and the Lecht especially?:) we're towards the n western fringes here, so that bit more sheltered 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

It’s getting even heavier, how is that possible! :yahoo:

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, 101_North said:

Around 12-15cm level - really hard to measure accurately. Drifting to over a foot. 

@101_North I want an accurate report on the stroke of Midnight, mind....:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero
4 minutes ago, Snowlover2 said:

Been like this for about 2 hours :wallbash:?

8D949F4F-E5BE-4FD8-89EC-EF39332A338A.png

Ha ha! I'm in that clear blob too. The last 24hrs here haven't even merited the Amber warning up here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
21 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

Looks pretty much like a rerun of the January 87 event I keep banging on about in Glasgow! :D

Hoping Dundee can join in the fun a little bit, still stuck at 2cm here in the Ferry.

We have 10cms here  in the garden but difficult to measure with with light to moderate snow falling and blowing about. -1.9C.

IMG_1348.JPG

IMG_1349.JPG

IMG_1351.JPG

IMG_1355.JPG

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 9

Posted
2 minutes ago, Staffordshire said:

6 -13 cm but difficult to say, roofs are scoured to the ties and it's piling up at any stagnation point. Wind could be more important than overall depth with drifting across roads.

• Like 1

Posted

Snowing heavily here again .. was carnage in town earlier apparently when red warning was issued, people all trying to get on buses in a blizzard which were then sliding and skidding down roads .. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.
17 minutes ago, 101_North said:

Heaviest snow I think I've ever seen just now!! If this keeps up for much longer @Hawesy will have been bang on the money! 

7 miles between you in the streamer ,and me and @JoeShmoe in the ongoing clear spot. I may have to have another wee greet again :(

Edit: Joe has snaw but radar is ongoing iffy this side of town

Edited by LeithRayOfSunshine
  • Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, over_the_rainbow said:

All schools in Perth and Kinross are to be closed tomorrow ....... and we've had heehaw here today.:unknw:

otr

I'm sorry, but that's laughable :) I know that snow prediction is sometimes pot luck and an absolute headache for the authorities, but I really wasn't expecting that... as you say, we've really missed out today (3cm currently outside here!).  Now, our experts as well as the online forecasts still seem to think overnight will deliver, and that must be why they have taken the decision... but as I seem to say all the time, we'll have to see! 

Tim

Edited by TinyTim

After an hour of brighter weather I'm glad to report that its gone very dark again and the next big shower is coming in.. open fire roaring and log burner blazing away. only problem I can see coming is the fact that I'm down to my last bottle of Buckfast..:drunk-emoji:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

This is the road outside my house...A ROAD!!!!! I honestly feel like just stripping all my clothes off and running along it!!!!! 

:yahoo::D

It’s still coming down thick and fast!!!! Can’t wait to measure this when the snow ends...WHICH IS DAYS AWAY!!!!!! It’s just INSANE!!!!!! 

ED35F448-2A55-4CBB-BD72-881DFBD76B57.jpeg

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 8

Posted

1 minute ago, TinyTim said:

otr

I'm sorry, but that's laughable :) I know that snow prediction is sometimes pot luck and an absolute headache for the authorities, but I really wasn't expecting that... as you say, we've really missed out today (3cm currently outside here!).  Now, our experts as well as the online forecasts still seem to think overnight will delivery, and that must be why they have taken the decision... but as I seem to say all the time, we'll have to see! 

Tim

To be fair I thought it was a joke that our local schools were closed today. Fast forward to now and it was absolutely the correct decision. Things could change for you very quickly! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, 101_North said:

To be fair I thought it was a joke that our local schools were closed today. Fast forward to now and it was absolutely the correct decision. Things could change for you very quickly! 

Indeed, and I'm certainly no expert :) But sadly we can only go on hope if there isn't a huge amount of white stuff on the ground... You on the other hand, I'd love to see a photo of you in the snow... it would look like dandruff ;)

Tim

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, LeithRayOfSunshine said:

7 miles between you in the streamer ,and me and @JoeShmoe in the ongoing clear spot. I may have to have another wee greet again :(

Edit: Joe has snaw but radar is ongoing iffy this side of town

think its luck of the draw where the lines of showers are, the next batch look tasty and fingers crossed hit us for a change, @101_North needs a wee break :-)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW :-D
8 minutes ago, over_the_rainbow said:

All schools in Perth and Kinross are to be closed tomorrow ....... and we've had heehaw here today.:unknw:

Thanks @over_the_rainbow Let's hope we get more ❄️❄️ tonight ?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!
12 minutes ago, Staffordshire said:

According to the husband, who is a very fuss - erm precise Virgo - we have 13 inches. :yahoo::yahoo:

• Like 3