Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Blizzards, Storms, Sun, Lightening

Scotrail have cancelled ALL train between 6pm tonight and 10am tomorrow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.
9 minutes ago, 101_North said:

Anywhere between 12-14cm level and over 30 in the drifts! Epic stuff!

Good on ye, saving the day for Embra ! Looks like you're ongoing catching some of the streamer to the south. The ongoing streamer to the north of me is following the midline of the Forth but not deviating from it's course due west. Only 5 miles away!  Agonising ! :nonono:

Edited by LeithRayOfSunshine

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

The cars were cleared this morning :) Nice wee drift building at the gate-

A2.jpg

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

I can’t keep up with the amount of posts in this thread! :D 

mental blizzard conditions again!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Scotrail are suspending ALL TRAINS in the red warning zone from 18:00 tonight until at least 10am tomorrow

The sleeper services to/from London will not run tonight

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, LomondSnowstorm said:

There's a slight lull in proceedings here as the Forth snow monster gobbles up the showers and sends them hurtling through the Central Belt. I'm not too worried though - for a start we've already done pretty well (hard to get a level depth because of the drifting but my average depth was 13cm, as low as 8cm in places and as high as 20cm in some drifts) but also both the EURO4 and the NMM take the zone of prolonged pasting northwards from around 3-4pm while there's still easily enough to keep the fun going in the southern part of the red warning area. This is a very slow moving, intense feature hence the red warning but if you're a bit north of it I still think you should be in for a decent snowfall later on this evening and into tomorrow.

Brightened up quite a bit now, snow off but still overcast. Looks as if some blacker cloud coming in from the East. Could get interesting again.

Posted

Epic snow here so far, best I've seen since 2010 I think, only goes off for 5-10 mins then a 20-30 min blizzard. I just got home from work, luckily only 10 mins drive through town. Must be about 7 or 8 inch lying here, more on the hedges.. My 4 door car looks like a racing hatchback as the snow has been drifting over the front to the back and filling up the bit between bootlid and back window so it is now a smooth bank of snow.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

15 cm depth now on the picnic bench.

That's conservative as it's sheltered from the east, so may be a little starved, but certainly not getting too much from drifting.

@Hawesy

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 7

Posted
17 minutes ago, A Winter's Tale said:

How much has fallen in the last couple of hours?

Around 8-10cm since 12ish! Still going too!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero
16 minutes ago, LomondSnowstorm said:

The zone of prolonged pasting

Nice :)

Need a snow shower here right now otherwise I'm not going to break our lowest max temp record, which was set back in December 2010. Currently -3.8C....just 0.1C off the record.

• Like 3

Posted
8 hours ago, BurntFishTrousers said:

For those who may feel "forced" by their employers to go to work later today or tomorrow.

DXIO_ihX4AA-ypL.jpg

We only got away since a red warning was issued however my other half is off today and tomorrow as schools are shut (she is a teacher before anyone gets worried about that statement :) )

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

You can usually see Glasgow in the distance from here, not anymore, getting absolutely pasted :D

2814281B-E831-49D3-A8C1-9A6C4E126A05.thumb.jpeg.0f80c86c09a5c68570cb24f0197071c1.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time
2 minutes ago, Benvironment said:

Nice :)

Need a snow shower here right now otherwise I'm not going to break our lowest max temp record, which was set back in December 2010. Currently -3.8C....just 0.1C off the record.

The max here so far was -2.2C (reached at 9am, it's been below -3C since 10am) which I'm fairly certain is our lowest, certainly the lowest since I changed weather stations a few years back. There was maybe a day in 2009/10 which matched it but it's incredibly impressive given the hours of daylight.

The radar is starting to pep up just to our north so we might be in business soon...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

All kinds of bad (ok, "inexperienced") driving going on here even in my low-traffic Leith street. In the last hour seen a car do a slow motion straight turn into the bollards at the corner (left their bumper hanging half-off) and two cars that just span their wheels for 10 minutes getting up what must be a 2 degree incline in this street. Red warning is justified on transport safety grounds alone if folk can't even handle relatively benign back-streets at slow speed.

• Like 4

Posted
Just now, Benvironment said:

Do all houses come with trampolines now? ;-)

Nah - they're delivered shortly after the baby :D

• Like 1

Posted

That red warning is right across the M8 corridor. I used to work in Glasgow and live in Edinburgh and many, many people do. This upgrade to red in the middle of the day long after most people have gone to work is a real problem. I've done that route in horrendous conditions, took 5.5 hrs and there was only about an inch of snow east of Harthill!  Given the amount of snow we had overnight and the forecast that today would be even worse and given that last night it was reported that we were "on the cusp" of a red warning, an earlier upgrade might have been prudent. Still, at least the schools had the sense to close and I talked hubby outta going to work. Now we can enjoy the snow instead of worrying.

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, LeithRayOfSunshine said:

All kinds of bad (ok, "inexperienced") driving going on here even in my low-traffic Leith street. In the last hour seen a car do a slow motion straight turn into the bollards at the corner (left their bumper hanging half-off) and two cars that just span their wheels for 10 minutes getting up what must be a 2 degree incline in this street. Red warning is justified on transport safety grounds alone if folk can't even handle relatively benign back-streets at slow speed.

There's a couple of friggin' driving instructors with pupils struggling round the roads up here! Unreal levels of madness! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Central Glasgow is now actually quite dangerous. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything like it. The snow is drifting and being blown about, it must already be at least 20cm in places. Traffic is stuck on the slightest gradients and can only hope people heed the red warning as things could get really quite bad if this continues.

• Like 4