Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.
3 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

The North Sea is absolutely loaded with Snow, and the flow is exceptional continuing to deliver convection west of the UK!

image.thumb.png.3d34dc385e2937e652e3a08653012c47.png

5 minutes ago, Ross B said:

It's only 2 hours into the Amber warning which lasts until tomorrow night!! 

If I went on my roof (not a day for doing that !) then I could see the north sea. Proximity to it not exactly proving to be a bonanza in Leith I have to say. It's perverse really.

Edited by Paul Martin

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Baltic

-3 here, biting cold wind, never got my lightning cross on the radar gutted, wanted a screen grab, never mind ? not as much snaw as I would have hoped for waking up but still brilliant ?

20180228_082909_1.thumb.gif.25775d1f4a70ba2067c18a6ff390ad76.gif yellow snaw warning on my patio ?

• Like 1

Posted

People are forgetting that the main action was always progged to be overnight tonight and tomorrow as the troughs move through.

Calm yer pants.

This is SR for 1200-1500

nmmuk3hrprecip.png

Edited by GraemeB
  • Like 6

Posted
14 minutes ago, Paul Martin said:

I will. Relative to conditions elsewhere, relative to the hype, relative to the forecast, and relative to 2010 or even 2013, locally this is an underperformer. We only need the sun to come out most of the day now to attack what we have to complete my morning grumpiness.:closedeyes:

Paul 

You're not alone... just been out to take measurements, and a grand total of 2.5 cm / 1 inch!  We've actually had more than this  during this winter already, believe it or not! 

The one redeeming factor in my eyes is the type of snow.. it's lovely and really starting to blow around a lot. 'If' and its a big IF we get a decent fall later it will be absolute chaos... so, the jury is still out, but certainly in the 'letdown' category so far!

Certainly not begrudging those with better snow ;) but when Broughty Ferry has more... well... :) 

Tim

Edited by TinyTim
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Braved the cold and measured between 4 & 6 cm in the back garden, depending on the exact spot. Should be more on the way in if the radar is right, but kind of hit or miss at them moment.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Morning guys!

About an inch so far just outside Strathyre. Nothing major yet,  but the amber warning has only just started hasn't it...

Current radar isn't looking brilliant for here at the moment,  heavy stuff seems to be to the north and south,  doh :)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Not bad here , probably around a couple of inches. Very blowy snow though. Showers seem to be passing to the north of us at times, think we’re missing the worst of it for now. Kids are off (they are mighty happy) and getting ready to go outside ! Great stuff !! 

• Like 2

Posted

I had hoped that the Tay/Forth basin would have been a bit like a funnel and we would have had a good dolloping flowing over the top of us, but it seems to be the opposite just now with a still slightly northern element to the wind.

All a little anticlimactic for now for snow at least.  The cold is living up to the hype.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, TinyTim said:

Paul 

You're not alone... just been out to take measurements, and a grand total of 2.5 cm / 1 inch!  We've actually had more than before this winter already, believe it or not! 

The one redeeming factor in my eyes is the type of snow.. it's lovely and really starting to blow around a lot. 'If' and its a big IF we get a decent fall later it will be absolute chaos... so, the jury is still out, but certainly in the 'letdown' category so far!

Certainly not begrudging those with better snow ;) but when Broughty Ferry has more... well... :) 

Tim

Aye. I don't grudge it to anyone here either. Frustration on my part, and part of that is my inability to understand why there's a (relatively) effective snow shield here so close to the north sea action, whilst areas far west of here get hammered. I understand some of why that happens but the basic recipe of uppers, dew-points, convection, flow appears to be in place here so I'm not getting my head around whats going on. And hey someone's got to be the grump on here right ! :pardon:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Snawshields Absolutimus Intactimus! Not that I was expecting anything else. But the wind and cauld are not welcome and we have to head out later this morning to check out the empty shelves at the local Co-op. Himself has also promised to buy me lunch so I'm not passing up that chance! Keep the piccies coming, they're brilliant! Currently -3.7c, and wind chill -7c. Whaur's  ma thermals? :cold:

• Like 1

Posted

Looking ahead to Sunday (i know!) as the milder air pushed north, we could be caught by a nice little event as it fights against the colder air

h850t850eu.png

I fear for the bench.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Penicuikblizzard said:

I think the media circus have over hyped this cold spell,,,Ive seen more snow in Edinburgh from a Westerly ?

That memory must put your age at 93. :D

• Like 1

Posted

It's nuking it here and Moffat Academy is closed today too. I was supposed to be working at Chesser in Edinburgh but despite winter tyres on the van, I'm giving it a miss. Bashing through snowdrifts on the way out or the way back anywhere in the 20 miles without mobile phone signal between the Beeftub and Broughton is probably not a great idea.

I'm actually really surprised by the snowfall totals here so far because the hills to our east normally suck up most of the moisture when it comes from that direction, generally leaving us with bright but braw days. Radar suggests more to come :)

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Beautiful morning here :)

91421A76-15F6-499B-99C4-FB244998A59D.thumb.jpeg.594eec7a4eef4451f414232e4ed2ff65.jpeg

86920740-D6B4-45C4-93B2-D0BA12D84268.thumb.jpeg.d5e5aae67ff335d1f3d49de5cc941d34.jpeg

Edited by Stormeh
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
5 minutes ago, Paul Martin said:

Aye. I don't grudge it to anyone here either. Frustration on my part, and part of that is my inability to understand why there's a (relatively) effective snow shield here so close to the north sea action, whilst areas far west of here get hammered. I understand some of why that happens but the basic recipe of uppers, dew-points, convection, flow appears to be in place here so I'm not getting my head around whats going on. And hey someone's got to be the grump on here right ! :pardon:

I'm sure it's to do with the northerly element in the wind?   You can see the thinning of the showers in the sea opposite Fife on the radar.  Until that shifts round a bit to full easterly,  then what we've got is what we'll continue to get.   (and I'm never wrong):laugh:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
3 minutes ago, GraemeB said:

Streamer....

streamer.png

YOU CAN STREAMER OFF!   Lochgelly is shining like a beacon there!:laugh:

Edited by Blitzen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Must have around 12 cm here. It's really difficult to tell as drifting is getting serious.

Looks like I'm aboot tae be streamed!

If you don't hear from me; come with avalanche search poles.

Edit.  Quick gairdin shot while I can still get oot the door.

streamer.png

IMG-20180228-WA0003.jpeg

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 6

Posted
3 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

yOU CAN STREAMER OFF!   Lochgelly is shining like a beacon there!:laugh:

It's missed me anaw.

:nonono:

Posted
4 minutes ago, GraemeB said:

Streamer....

streamer.png

The full band is moving due west by the looks of it rather than in the direction the 'streamer' is pointing. Really intense looking on the radar