Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
8 minutes ago, ciel said:

Just quoted on radio that someone, somewhere has advised folk to wear non-slip shoes :D

Some of the cold spell coverage is gold as always!

I'm off out, no non-slip shoes on but I'm wearing 4 pairs of socks as will be outdoors all day and 3 didn't cut-it yesterday, legitimate chance a truck could run over my feet and I won't notice 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Windchill is savage today, amazing cloudscapes as the blobs roll through, a tame start here so far..

IMG_20180228_080005.thumb.jpg.a4d142a0b4cebf031363f71d9cdb1f08.jpg

Edited by lorenzo
  • Like 7

Posted
2 minutes ago, 101_North said:

So no doubt I'll be labelled grumpy again but this isn't panning out how I imagined LOL

looking at the radar as it is now (could change of course) no one in the central belt is getting 30cm any time soon ... you are if you are in one of those bands which i suspect is what was thought could effect here .. in effect here we had one decent shower at 11pm last night and thats been it .. 

all time to change however, we are only 2 hours into a 48 hour warning to be fair !

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, JoeShmoe said:

all time to change however, we are only 2 hours into a 48 hour warning to be fair !

A good point. Euro4 shows better for here towards lunchtime. We'll see. Snowing heavily here at the minute but it will be brief as they have been so far.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Morning all.

--4.5c/-6.9c ENE.

I'm afraid I will be joining @101-North this morning and sharing his grumpiness!  as this area of Fife hasn't done as well as expected.   Still too much of a northerly element in the wind here which has led to a bit of a split  to the north  and the south.  Certainly haven't had any flashes or cracks.   Cold and breezy.   We must have picked up one or two showers overnight though and I would say we have about 4" level snow here.

static_weathercams.php.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

How can you see what's due to hit on Netwerather radar? I can only see the current picture. MetOffice radar still not working. Snow starting to really drift here.

Posted
8 minutes ago, JoeShmoe said:

looking at the radar as it is now (could change of course) no one in the central belt is getting 30cm any time soon ... you are if you are in one of those bands which i suspect is what was thought could effect here .. in effect here we had one decent shower at 11pm last night and thats been it .. 

Patience, plenty time to go. Looking at the general picture ahead, there's a more organised area moving in this afternoon but it does seem to be blind siding Edinburgh and passing to the south and heading up in a WNW towards to southern portion of the central belt. I'm more optimistic now of a fair bit more snow as today goes on and into tomorrow. I believe there's a another trough in the flow for later on this evening aswell which appears quite narrow in nature, but where it targets could get an absolute doing with how long the trough is. 

Be interesting with the Hawsey predictions getting whipped out later on for comparison 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.
17 minutes ago, 101_North said:

So no doubt I'll be labelled grumpy again but this isn't panning out how I imagined LOL

Same here. In relative terms I rate this as a B-minus locally. Can't say I rate an easterly that manages to set up steady constant streamer activity 40-50-60 miles west of us and mostly manages to circumnavigate Edinburgh. Utter gash.

• Like 2

Posted
12 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

I'm afraid I will be joining @101-North this morning and sharing his grumpiness!

I would say we have about 4" level snow here.

4 inches! No.....you absolutely cannot share my grumpiness :D

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
2 minutes ago, 101_North said:

3 1/2" of that was from yesterday though!:D  

Posted
Just now, Blitzen said:

3 1/2" of that was from yesterday though!:D  

2 of my now upgraded to 4cm was from yesterday :rofl:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.
3 minutes ago, 101_North said:

I will. Relative to conditions elsewhere, relative to the hype, relative to the forecast, and relative to 2010 or even 2013, locally this is an underperformer. We only need the sun to come out most of the day now to attack what we have to complete my morning grumpiness.:closedeyes:

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Paul Martin said:

I will. Relative to conditions elsewhere, relative to the hype, relative to the forecast, and relative to 2010 or even 2013, locally this is an underperformer. We only need the sun to come out most of the day now to attack what we have to complete my morning grumpiness.:closedeyes:

It's only 2 hours into the Amber warning which lasts until tomorrow night!! 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Ross B said:

It's only 2 hours into the Amber warning which lasts until tomorrow night!! 

I think it is in reference to the models which show most of the bad snow shifting south of Edinburgh.

Edited by jamieson87

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

The North Sea is absolutely loaded with Snow, and the flow is exceptional continuing to deliver convection west of the UK!

image.thumb.png.3d34dc385e2937e652e3a08653012c47.png

• Like 4