Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

It's blawin' a hoolie ootside!

Went out to get something from car - it's absolutely baltic.

[edit] currently a blizzard in Stirling....

Edited by GraemeB

Posted

Practically no snow here overnight. Don't think this wind direction is working at all. Impressive radar this morning looking at some other areas though!

Latest models show far south of Scotland and north east England now the main focus for severe snow and barely anything around Edinburgh. Oh dear, might have gone wrong at the last minute here...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Beginning with S ending with W ;)

All GCC nurseries and schools closed. They're expecting conditions to get worse especially this afternoon into tonight. Wouldn't be suprised if schools remain closed tomorrow. Glasgow seems to have been hit pretty hard through the night. 

Posted
1 hour ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Well just the other grump to go now, @101_North what's it like at your bit?

Maybe 3cm. Temp around -4c. Still only catching occasional showers here. Let's see what today brings :)

At this minute in time I can see a lot of people questioning why the schools here are shut. They won't be aware of the forecast and the advice given to the council. They'll look outside and decide they've seen much worse. The council is in a pure catch 22 situation!

Radar looks great for NE England at the minute. Not looking great for here for a while at least!

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, sn0wman said:

Practically no snow here overnight. Don't think this wind direction is working at all. Impressive radar this morning looking at some other areas though!

Latest models show far south of Scotland and north east England now the main focus for severe snow and barely anything around Edinburgh. Oh dear, might have gone wrong at the last minute here...

Yes it looks that way sadly ... snawshield in  full effect with everything going to north or south

just hope sun doesn’t quickly melt what we do have 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snoooowwww with some thunderstorms on the side

Wind seems too strong for these small showers. They seem to get blown through before they can have any impact. Not much change overnight but hope we will see more today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Tried to measure the depth by hanging out the patio door in a blizzard and only got 2cm. Think that was a bit sheltered and too near the house heat island so I'll try again later. 

Aberdeenshire schools announcing closures at a rate of knots now, based as much on the forecast as the overnight falls by the looks of it. Youngest is ecstatic about having the day off on his birthday. :yahoo:

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 3

Posted

Unlikely to be anywhere near the Siberian snow apocalypse some of our more eastern pals are having here, looks epic in some places though, we can crowdfund to buy SS a new bench after the snaw snaps it, what a joyous thread to catch-up on folks?

TV presenters were teaching people how to walk in snow there.... *TV is off now ?

some moderate showers feeding through so far this morn, currently snowing and -9c, awesome 

Edited by Northern Strath
  • Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Sorry :(

I'll remember that in future :):)

I still feel nervous despite being snowed in ha ha ha how stupid am I??

I feel nervous because at this point in time I have less snow than @Hawesy :(

• Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, 101_North said:

I feel nervous because at this point in time I have less snow than @Hawesy :(

Now I’ve actually been outside it’s probably more like 2cm to be honest so don’t feel bad. Hard to tell because of the drifting. Of course that’s an epic fall in Hawesy terms!:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Dundee schools are to open though colleges are closed. ?

I am a bit surprised though there hasn't been much snow since the middle of the night. My problem will be getting out of my own street which never gets cleared. Meanwhile my daughter sent me this from her window in Partick. Lots must have got through to the West.

IMG_0074.JPG

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Husband doesn't take very good pics and gets annoyed when I moan - but won't give me his phone to do it myself :) It's blowing hard here so can't get a true reading until later when I go ootsude with a ruler and measure it properly. The two round humps are pails with coal in them. I hope.

imageedit_7_4257579755.jpg

imageedit_5_3313378732.jpg

imageedit_2_6816493522.jpg

• Like 7

Posted
3 minutes ago, Norrance said:

Dundee schools are to open. I am a bit surprised though there hasn't been much snow since the middle of the night. My problem will be getting out of my own street which never gets cleared. Meanwhile my daughter sent me this from her window in Partick. Lots must have got through to the West.

I’m getting the bus to St Andrews today as don’t have all season tyres. Just coming into central Dundee, maybe 3-4cm so a bit more than the Ferry as you’d expect.

Theres been a definite lull in the last few hours, be interesting to see how today pans out.

Posted
24 minutes ago, Northern Strath said:

TV presenters were teaching people how to walk in snow there.... *TV is off now ?

Just quoted on radio that someone, somewhere has advised folk to wear non-slip shoes :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
5 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

I’m getting the bus to St Andrews today as don’t have all season tyres. Just coming into central Dundee, maybe 3-4cm so a bit more than the Ferry as you’d expect.

Theres been a definite lull in the last few hours, be interesting to see how today pans out.

About double that out here though it has blown about. Strange that the colleges and even Dundee High, the private school are closed.

IMG_0073.JPG

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, JoeShmoe said:

SE Scotland / NE England must be getting buried - if only those bands were 50 miles north!

So no doubt I'll be labelled grumpy again but this isn't panning out how I imagined LOL

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, GraemeB said:

Grangemouth/Falkirk about to experience The Day After Tomorrow snowfall....

? Blue sky and about same as you 6cm. Just off to sample the roads and head to work.