Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
5 minutes ago, Kayemill said:

Is my 6cm a measurement on grass or from concrete?

I think I may have underestimated for you....already. Could you send some to @Hairy Celt please?

Never measure on grass, concrete should be fine so long as it’s away from shelter or a heat source. Having said that garden furniture or wheelie bins are the traditional kilted thread measuring tools! :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.
11 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

A few nerves in here this evening....understandable....but if you are in central or eastern Scotland keep in mind:

1) The amber warning doesn’t even begin to take effect until 6am tomorrow morning.

2) We have 48 hours of extremely low uppers and thicknesses with a long sea fetch ahead of us

Patience is the key! Stop looking at the radar, obsessing over each and every weather forecast, app update and Euro4 prognostication....

.....but we can’t, can we? :D

No we can't :D I'm currently using a marker pen on my screen to trace the outline of showers as they approach and run through the Forth estuary, to get some kind of handle on whats happening over time. My astounding conclusion: there's not many  heading for, or hitting Edinburgh :pardon:

Think I should go and do something normal for a wee while. Whatever normal is !

Edited by Paul Martin

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

thumbnail_IMG_20180227_200635.thumb.jpg.ebea6647153371518d711d14e3da33a7.jpgPicture of the outside (although with a bit of a reflection there, sadly I haven't quite managed to optimise my lamp post capabilities to that extent:rofl:)

• Like 9

Posted

Snow stopped, skies have cleared leading to an impressive drop in temperature from -2.5C to -3.9C in just 15mins.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal weather!

The snow sounds weird tonight. Even though we have a good covering already, the falling snow sounds like heavy rain!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
29 minutes ago, LomondSnowstorm said:

RE: the various snowshields, the big line of heavy showers building out in the North Sea at the moment heading due west rather than southwest is going to reset things as it makes landfall and turn the wind due easterly behind it.

Sure I can see that happening now on the radar, showers off the Aberdeenshire coast are moving in a more westerly direction than earlier today. Probably better news for @More Snowand my ehm...kids, yeah kids, definitely the kids that will be getting excited.

Edit; My youngest's birthday tomorrow so it'll be the best birthday ever if it's also a school 'snow day'.

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time
12 minutes ago, Paul Martin said:

No we can't :D I'm currently using a marker pen on my screen to trace the outline of showers as they approach and run through the Forth estuary, to get some kind of handle on whats happening over time. My astounding conclusion: there's not many  heading for, or hitting Edinburgh :pardon:

Think I should go and do something normal for a wee while. Whatever normal is !

I think the problem is this:nmmukwind.thumb.png.49baa0e48a74d23af24c337199c8d5d2.png

Dundee and Fife (and Motherwell's) shower line is coming directly from the ENE, the line that's hitting the northeast of England and now the eastern Borders is coming directly from the North East, and your snow is... well, being diverted to either Shuggee or myself:rofl:

This is going to change once this line out in the North Sea moves inland and your snow shield will relent... Or maybe not but you never know:D

Edited by LomondSnowstorm
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
20 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

I think I may have underestimated for you....already. Could you send some to @Hairy Celt please?

Never measure on grass, concrete should be fine so long as it’s away from shelter or a heat source. Having said that garden furniture or wheelie bins are the traditional kilted thread measuring tools! :D

Will do!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.
6 minutes ago, LomondSnowstorm said:

I think the problem is this:nmmukwind.thumb.png.49baa0e48a74d23af24c337199c8d5d2.png

Dundee and Fife (and Motherwell's) shower line is coming directly from the ENE, the line that's hitting the northeast of England and now the eastern Borders is coming directly from the North East, and your snow is... well, being diverted to either Shuggee or myself:rofl:

This is going to change once this line out in the North Sea moves inland and your snow shield will relent... Or maybe not but you never know:D

Cheers LS, that makes sense :good:  But when you say "diverted" I prefer to use the term STOLEN:closedeyes: 

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Paul Martin said:

Cheers LS, that makes sense :good:  But when you say "diverted" I prefer to use the term STOLEN:closedeyes: 

Apologies - I'm 'stealing' a heavy blizzardy shower as we speak:D

• Like 2

Posted

Had to save a screenshot for posterity, definitely the best forecast here for snow since 2010.

Note the significant difference between the Met and BBC forecast temperatures - BBC version already wrong as its just past -4C now.  Really not impressed by the new BBC weather provider, overall accuracy seems to be significantly worse than the Met Office.

warnings.jpg

bbc warnings.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Big cloud to another big cloud: 'Aaaaargh fk no it's the Black Isle, quick, you head that way (north), I'll go this way (south)'

Stage direction <big cloud gives other big cloud a mighty elbow off to one side>

Pause...

Stage direction < big cloud looks over its shoulder>

Big cloud: 'Phew, dodged that fuckwit HC again!'

Edited by Hairy Celt
decency

Posted
23 minutes ago, Rickoza said:

We've dodged them no more.  Rarely seen snow of that type here. 

Yeah, big clouds of powdery snow blowing around in the Hamilton Road - not something you see every day!  Just drove over from Bothwell to Motherwell and it was pelting down at a fair rate.  Car (front wheel drive with non-winter tyres) just failed to get up a tiny slope and will probably be staying stationary for a while now.

Using the carefully-calibrated scientific method of sticking my index finger into the snow, it goes most of the way to the knuckle so probably 8 or 9 cm already.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, frosty, snow....lots of snow! Oh....and more snow!
8 minutes ago, Sam Mithell said:

I predicted 6 inches of snow in Perth between tonight and tomorrow, am i going to be far off you think?

I’m starting to think Perth’s not going to get any ?‍♀️

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

How the f00k can Motherwell have more snow than me

No offence Motherwell

Euro 4 looks good to end of Thursday but yet to get going here....still was not even supposed to get proper snow till early hours of tomorrow so keeping the faith before chucking the toys oot

But mother f00king well

Fae an easterly

Taking the pi55

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Landylou said:

I’m starting to think Perth’s not going to get any ?‍♀️

Landy

Yeah, me too :( We need to keep the faith though... Hawsey and LS seem to think we'll be okay, and they know a lot more than me, certainly :) 

So, in the experts we trust!

Tim

Edited by TinyTim
  • Like 2