Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
2 minutes ago, Ayrshire weather said:

It says "Girvan" should have been "evening in Girvan"

Your location under your username says "Giravn"

Posted

good inch base for later.

am oot in the cold waiting on eldest at gymnastics and couldn't resist.... (Chips and curry sauce seeing as upload of pictures is not working)

• Like 5

Posted
6 minutes ago, Paul Martin said:

Yup, something is broken here, god knows what :wallbash:

The longest shower we have had must only be about 15 minutes. I'm sure once they get more prolonged then it'll have a chance of accumulating. 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Stuart said:

not sure how well i do with the east winds as it my 1st time up here with a east winds 

I am not 100% sure but from what I saw before dark the wind is easterly but the clouds are coming from slightly more north of east making it an ideal direction to funnel showers into the Firth In the past during these spells showers would move along the south side of the Moray Firth one day  and the next day with a slight change of direction would hug the coast along the north side of the Firth

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Worldview images from today for posterity!

image-download.thumb.jpg.261cc7b639ee53433878b87ef89f88a4.jpg5a95b6631de72_image-download(1).thumb.jpg.18d62ec8f2025ba78d46e359a4728e1b.jpg

And a moonlit blob

IMG_20180227_195711.thumb.jpg.d068e250de2d4f49861a9439c76dfc03.jpg

Edited by lorenzo
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time
2 minutes ago, Serac said:

The forecasts were all showing the showers wouldn’t start organising until early weds morning. We are still in yellow warning time zone. 

If anything I think it’s started early , so , snow warriors , stay calm .... it’s only just starting 

Absolutely - the majority of the snow is meant to fall tomorrow and into Thursday when temperatures will be stuck below freezing so I wouldn't worry if you haven't been lucky just yet :D

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
2 minutes ago, LomondSnowstorm said:

Had another direct hit from a hefty shower just now. The netweather radar says I've had over 6mm precipitation in the last few hours which is one of the heftier totals and I'd say there's close to 3 inches outside so that makes sense. This is definitely the best wind direction for here so I expect other areas to start catching up soon.

RE: the various snowshields, the big line of heavy showers building out in the North Sea at the moment heading due west rather than southwest is going to reset things as it makes landfall and turn the wind due easterly behind it. Now it's still possible that some areas will continue to miss out but this will at least give the areas that aren't my house a fair chance :rofl:

Oh that's fkn wonderful news :wallbash:

• Like 1

Posted

Wind seriously getting up now this going to be a biggie you can just sense it

• Like 1

Posted

A few nerves in here this evening....understandable....but if you are in central or eastern Scotland keep in mind:

1) The amber warning doesn’t even begin to take effect until 6am tomorrow morning.

2) We have 48 hours of extremely low uppers and thicknesses with a long sea fetch ahead of us

Patience is the key! Stop looking at the radar, obsessing over each and every weather forecast, app update and Euro4 prognostication....

.....but we can’t, can we? :D

• Like 9

Posted

-2.5C and snowing off and on for last hour adding another 1.5cm - light fluffy snow at that so there will be plenty drifting if the wind picks up. 

Some lovely night sky views just now with the bright moon shining through the falling snow - just need the aurora to make an appearance to round things off!

No school closures announced in Aberdeenshire so far but doubt that will be the case by the morning.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Total whiteout here, amazing stuff! Can’t get any work done, I keep going to the works toilet to check outside :yahoo:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Baltic

Hammering it down here! SNAAAWWWWW! Probably got about 2cm from today already so this will be a nice top up ?

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Quinach said:

-2.5C and snowing off and on for last hour adding another 1.5cm - light fluffy snow at that so there will be plenty drifting if the wind picks up. 

Some lovely night sky views just now with the bright moon shining through the falling snow - just need the aurora to make an appearance to round things off!

No school closures announced in Aberdeenshire so far but doubt that will be the case by the morning.

the school here was closed today so I'm guessing it will be tomorrow too.

Posted
1 minute ago, Hawesy said:

A few nerves in here this evening....understandable....but if you are in central or eastern Scotland keep in mind:

1) The amber warning doesn’t even begin to take effect until 6am tomorrow morning.

2) We have 48 hours of extremely low uppers and thicknesses with a long sea fetch ahead of us

Patience is the key! Stop looking at the radar, obsessing over each and every weather forecast, app update and Euro4 prognostication....

.....but we can’t, can we? :D

Is my 6cm a measurement on grass or from concrete?