Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

25 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN FOR ONLY THE SECOND TIME IN 7 AND A BIT YEARS I HAVE A MEASURABLE SNOWFALL! :):D:rofl:

Only a cm mind but a landmark day for the kilted thread. :rofl:

4DCB4743-1FCF-403C-8C3F-3A02038E4FD1.thumb.gif.cb4ec5cb3fc600f455ea5f361dcaa21c.gif

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, JoeShmoe said:

The showers seem to be increasing in size/intensity once they make landfall ...

I've noticed this too... Very strange! 

Don't even have a covering of snow yet here in the Newington part of Edinburgh, but it seems like the west of the city has done pretty well so far. Places like Livingston look like they've been getting clobbered this evening. Hopefully the weird tendency of showers to decay rapidly near here and then re-intensify after moving past will end before tomorrow!

• Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Surely something a bit stronger than a warning!!  :drunk:

Definitely a wee malt later to celebrate! 

• Like 1

Posted

Sorry for the poor quality picture but I am in work hanging out the toilet window. Big snow shower here,  everything now white, I hope I can make it home later!

2D508EDB-4DE5-455D-9EF1-1F590CD51258.thumb.jpeg.55cdd5a822d0e9ad18049d1cb2c21526.jpeg

• Like 8

Posted

Something of a train of showers passing through here.  Snow blowing and swirling :yahoo:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
1 hour ago, LomondSnowstorm said:

Slightly confused by Glasgow getting way more on their projections than anywhere a shower would need to pass over to get to them but otherwise it looks pretty promising...

I think that it is something to do with the upslope from the Forth into Lanarkshire. @hawesy explained it I think when commenting on how East Kilbride got 55cms in Jan 1987 when further East has much less. 

No showers here recently but got around 4 cms from the three heavy showers a couple of hours ago. 

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Stormeh said:

Sorry for the poor quality picture but I am in work hanging out the toilet window. Big snow shower here,  everything now white, I hope I can make it home later!

2D508EDB-4DE5-455D-9EF1-1F590CD51258.thumb.jpeg.55cdd5a822d0e9ad18049d1cb2c21526.jpeg

East Kilbride??? Nae luck. I'm from there. Years ago it got cut off nearly every winter. Get out and stay out until the weather improves is my advice

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Fiona Robertson said:

East Kilbride??? Nae luck. I'm from there. Years ago it got cut off nearly every winter. Get out and stay out until the weather improves is my advice

Haha try telling that to my manager :D

• Like 1

Posted
21 minutes ago, Ayrshire weather said:

Been quite a bit of snow this evening in Girvan South Ayrshire! 

20180227_174408.jpg

Is that where you used to live before you moved to 'Giravn'?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Snowless zone here too, a covering but 15.5cm to go @Hawesy ??no pressure ! 

Posted
11 minutes ago, sn0wman said:

Don't even have a covering of snow yet here in the Newington part of Edinburgh, but it seems like the west of the city has done pretty well so far. Places like Livingston look like they've been getting clobbered this evening. Hopefully the weird tendency of showers to decay rapidly near here and then re-intensify after moving past will end before tomorrow!

SW Edinburgh only has a light covering so far. Hopefully it picks up overnight.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
Just now, More Snow said:

nothing but clear skies and stars out for me at the moment. I seem to be in the snow free zone..:nonono:

I'll crack a virtual tinnie to that. Bloody cold out, if anything did happen to get this far it would certainly settle but it's not looking good.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.
17 minutes ago, sn0wman said:

Aye, the Edinburgh snow-shield is being perversely effective and operating at 80% efficiency despite all the factors that are currently scripted to give us a decent build-up of snow (but aren't). ENE wind, convection into the estuary, temperature, dewpoint and (presumably) uppers are all in play. But have that sinking feeling that locally this is not going to be anything like a 2010 or 2013 repeat. Something missing this time, too subtle for me to work out yet. Different outcomes elsewhere of course.

Edited by Paul Martin
  • Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, snowy owl said:

Snowless zone here too, a covering but 15.5cm to go @Hawesy ??no pressure ! 

Hmm, I was quite generous with you, wasn’t I? :D

Ive had a cm so anything is possible....let’s see where we are this time tomorrow! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Moonlit clouds to the south and north...at this rate I'll be going to work tomorrow after all :rofl:

exact same thing here. the kids are gonna hate me if school isn't closed tomorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.
3 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Weird thing is how the radar looks much better than it really is. According to radar's accumulated ppn, Embra should be buried by now.

Yup, something is broken here, god knows what :wallbash: