Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time
20 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

Plenty of 'blobs' ( technical term) lined up on radar, got dunted by one coming off the M-8 on way back home. Ferocious brief blizzard conditions, AWESOME!

Re: Red Warning - be interested to know what would warrant that, unless one of these troughs does the stall on the central belt thing...

PPVE89.thumb.gif.8cf45a47b6f731bc21410c33a861035a.gif

Some model accumulation charts

18030106_2706.thumb.gif.6c1cbf25a5ad3b09cc5367c6465cfb4d.gifviewimage.thumb.png.52d01622f9ee941e66718d41cda0b009.pngarpegeuk-45-59-0.thumb.png.8ad271a1f1c19b6e34de46706def1369.png

DW89uVdXkAAZ2Rd.thumb.jpg.2319970bae023a340534cf13a5e0ad97.jpg

It's almost worth just looking at the precip accumulation given everything from now on is going to be >10:1 A grade powdery lying snow away from the immediate coast. I think the Forth-Clyde potential is what they'll be looking at given it's a risk both morning and evening rush hour, the 'impact matrix' will be going a bit crazy with the potential for 10-20cm of snow in such a short space of time. 

Due to my work moving offices and the commute I'm effectively working from home until Friday afternoon at the earliest so fortunately that won't be a concern for me (not gloating or anything promise:D):drinks:

Latest Euro4:

Precipitation accum. EURO4 Th 01.03.2018 12 GMT

Slightly confused by Glasgow getting way more on their projections than anywhere a shower would need to pass over to get to them but otherwise it looks pretty promising...

Edited by LomondSnowstorm
  • Like 4

Posted

Settling quickly in the showers but not lasting too long. Around 1cm on the ground so far. Only 19 to go to reach Hawesy's estimate!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.
1 minute ago, A Winter's Tale said:

18030112_2712.gif

I'd be surprised if we don't see a red warning.

I wouldn't.

Posted

Reporting in for duty. Lying snow in St Andrews and Dundee. Will be back in Broughty Ferry shortly!

• Like 5

Posted
Just now, Hawesy said:

Reporting in for duty. Lying snow in St Andrews and Dundee. Will be back in Broughty Ferry shortly!

Safe journey, pretty wild in the showers when they come.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

Probably about 2cm here in Falkirk so far. 

It needs to be bad tomorrow or I'll be sitting in work with egg on my face having assured all the "oh it's never as bad as they say" brigade that actually this time it will be. 

Really hope I won't need to eat humble pie. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, NorthernRab said:

I wouldn't.

Given the Met Office's track record I would agree. I can't remember the last red warning for snow in a Scotland - I think Edinburgh in December 2010, maybe the highlands in either March 2011 or 2010.

There's still uncertainty over how much snow will fall and where. If confidence increases of the more than 15cm of snow and the impact on travel in the central belt then I think we have the best chance of a red warning for a while. Certainly, if this was London we'd be looking at a red warning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw
25 minutes ago, LomondSnowstorm said:

Latest Euro4:

Precipitation accum. EURO4 Th 01.03.2018 12 GMT

Slightly confused by Glasgow getting way more on their projections than anywhere a shower would need to pass over to get to them but otherwise it looks pretty promising...

I so could get buried by this. :shok:

• Like 1

Posted
20 minutes ago, jamieson87 said:

Another heavy spell for Edinburgh incoming. 

Screenshot_20180227-180348.jpg

I'm just about to head off to Tynecastle. :cold:

• Like 2

Posted

Well... congrats to those who already have a substantial fall... I've got an icing sugar dusting here... plenty of showers but they aren't lying except when very heavy and then were quickly melting.  Starting to get extremely nervous as now expecting this to be a busted flush, but surely not :) 

Good luck again all!

Tim

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit

Home for 6pm to the snaw kicking in here!

Big Innes

IMG_20180227_181330.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time
7 minutes ago, TinyTim said:

Well... congrats to those who already have a substantial fall... I've got an icing sugar dusting here... plenty of showers but they aren't lying except when very heavy and then were quickly melting.  Starting to get extremely nervous as now expecting this to be a busted flush, but surely not :) 

Good luck again all!

Tim

I wouldn't worry too much - there's a lot of time still left in this and anything that falls now will lie readily. It's maybe been a bit too northerly for Perth to get very lucky just yet but we're running the full spectrum of easterly angles over the next few days so I'm sure you'll get your fill! 

Looks like a couple of inches here with another shower incoming. 

• Like 2

Posted
9 minutes ago, howham said:

Not much here at home.

That's done the trick.  Snowing now!!

Posted
1 minute ago, LomondSnowstorm said:

I wouldn't worry too much - there's a lot of time still left in this and anything that falls now will lie readily. It's maybe been a bit too northerly for Perth to get very lucky just yet but we're running the full spectrum of easterly angles over the next few days so I'm sure you'll get your fill! 

Looks like a couple of inches here with another shower incoming. 

Cheers LS :)

I've lurked on this forum since before 2010 and don't generally post a huge amount, but very nice to see you and your expert wisdom back just in time for the cold spell!

Tim

• Like 2