Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero
3 minutes ago, Sam Mithell said:

Noticed met office had downgraded Perth to 1 snowflake symbol tomorrow ... i assume the main activity will be just south of Perth or still time to change? 

Same.....but the heavy stuff has now shifted from Wednesday to Thursday for here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero
1 minute ago, Norrance said:

I wouldn't take much notice of these. They change all the time and I believe have no manual input. Take more note of the written bits underneath?

Ha ha! In my head I know this.......but......but.....well......I want two big black snow symbols in EVERY segment ;-)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Heavy snow shower here now massive flakes :yahoo: 2.6C / -4.2C

Edited by Kirkcaldy Weather
  • Like 2

Posted

Is it just me or have all the radars failed? Might have to resort to looking out the window - it's snowing.

Netweather radar working again, phew.

Edited by scottishandy
  • Like 1

Posted

Blustery graupel down at Aberdeen beach.  All good snowfests start with a base of graupel.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
2 minutes ago, howham said:

Blustery graupel down at Aberdeen beach.  All good snowfests start with a base of graupel.  

What's the saying that often rings true?   "Wee snaw big fa'  big snaw wee fa' "

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Nice snow grains falling now on the dog walk. 

Also a wee peek at the lammermuirs before the next band of snow comes in .

And as it is now , more heavy bursts of snow grains mixed with snow flakes. 

69A363F2-47CD-4A37-A217-FCA3BEBFE690.png

F7EC7304-76FF-49F3-8502-D593FD57508F.png

402EF7D5-E030-451B-BE91-7D1FFFDECB56.png

Edited by snowy owl
  • Like 3

Posted

An exceptionally bracing lunchtime walk along the waterfront at Greenock. A few snowflakes blowing in the breeze. Flakes so dry they are not even sticking to the ground and are just blowing away.IMG_3948.thumb.JPG.e29cf08d8d2f6d1bc3a217129b1d304d.JPGIMG_3950.thumb.JPG.847c53d5727e6bec8bf0e183e4d1fad3.JPG

• Like 3

Posted

Missing most of the showers here.  Temperature hovering around 1.5C - roofs exposed to the sun are now clear of snow and a slow general thaw elsewhere.  Never seen so many birds on the bird feeder - animals have had a tough winter.

Wind has suddenly picked up and its gone all grey overhead and a few very small snow flakes blowing around. looking at the radar we are in for what could be the start of a memorable 48 hours or more... BRING ME MY SNAW!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny

Found Nessie lurking off the East Anglia coast and sent her home to you ?

F7B21BA7-3A27-402B-873B-4FA377EBCF17.jpeg

• Like 4

Posted
2 hours ago, Boydie said:

Took the boy to school this morning nice dusting here at 0630, I'm a Firefighter up at Lochgelly, and as you may know the highest town in Fife. I'm night shift tonight so I put money on it being busy. It amazes me how bad some folk drive in this weather.

I don’t drive in the snow simply because I don’t have the experience so once we’re home after today’s school run I don’t imagine we’ll be back out for the next few days. I’m in Kinross and have to drive him to Kelty so he’ll be happy with some days off school lol 

• Like 1

Posted

Had a good wee spell 30 mins or so ago that cleared to a lovely blue sky and now back into showers again.  

In the clear spell and looking out ESE over the mouth of the estuary it was smashing to see the convective clouds starting to build and tower.  Reassuring to actually see evidence of that happening that is not just on a laptop screen.

• Like 1

Posted

The ECM precip charts and other models have most of the precipitation for the central belt tomorrow and Thursday. Could just be me but here at least anyway, there seems to be a gradual toning down of the amount being forecast. I know those automated symbols on the MO website aren't much of a guide but compared to a few days ago, there's very dark cloud "heavy snow" symbols. The ECM precip charts have an epic amount of snow for tomorrow for Edinburgh on Yr.no.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
1 hour ago, Sam Mithell said:

Noticed met office had downgraded Perth to 1 snowflake symbol tomorrow ... i assume the main activity will be just south of Perth or still time to change? 

latest euro 4 had us just in the heaviest stuff.... wind direction seems good and whatever happens despite my wobbles yesterday i think its gonna be between great and epic rather than great or rubbish.... 

i also think we will see the north sea stuff reach here more and more so potentially have 3 or 4 cm. before the main band hits whether that be the juciest bit of the band or not id expect 10 cm by end of tomorrow at least 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
10 minutes ago, Sawel said:

The ECM precip charts and other models have most of the precipitation for the central belt tomorrow and Thursday. Could just be me but here at least anyway, there seems to be a gradual toning down of the amount being forecast. I know those automated symbols on the MO website aren't much of a guide but compared to a few days ago, there's very dark cloud "heavy snow" symbols. The ECM precip charts have an epic amount of snow for tomorrow for Edinburgh on Yr.no.

where is the toning down sawel is it the models your looking at or do you mean text updates? 

i should have a met update in the work shortly so will keep u all posted 

Posted

Came across this just now, good webcam for some inland Aberdeenshire snow watching based near Tarland - lovely view!

http://mossl.com/longfold.html

https://www.webcams.travel/webcam/fullscreen/1467307240

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, Quinach said:

When I say "toning down" I mean from epic amounts being forecast by the likes of ECM a few days back to sizeable amounts. Plus, I'm just referring to this area (Dundee). On the MO website, it changes all the time but I notice it's much less inclined to show anywhere near the amount of heavy snow symbols compared to areas across the central belt for tomorrow and Thursday.

Sorry - no idea why it has quoted Quinach @edo

Edited by Sawel

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

First "proper" 2010-style snow shower hitting Leith just now. A few more direct hits like that on the radar and we'll be on the way.

• Like 2