Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

If anything the latest Amber warning looks like an upgrade of sorts. Extended longer on Thursday and covers further south.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.
5 minutes ago, 101_North said:

If anything the latest Amber warning looks like an upgrade of sorts. Extended longer on Thursday and covers further south.

Yeah noticed that. Here and now, dew point has dropped steadily to -3 at the airport, wind constant from the east, radar looks decent over coming hours, and fine snowflakes blowing about in the wind down here. The trend might be underway.

• Like 1

Posted

Few very light showers blowing in on a strengthening wind in Aberdeen. Nothing laying and melting almost immediately.....hurry up and arrive I want the S word and lots!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Picking up a direct north easterly here at the moment.   Is it to turn direct easterly later?   Concerned about the direction of convection  otherwise.

1.7c/-4.4c/NE

Edited by Blitzen

Posted
1 minute ago, Blitzen said:

Picking up a direct north easterly here at the moment.   Is it to turn direct easterly later?   Concerned about the direction of convection later otherwise.

As far as I can see it should begin to veer most easterly as the day goes on. Fingers crossed :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

The North Sea snaw machine is building up nicely and will soon be ready to attack

F088222B-DD86-450A-9AE9-C9FA64A578B8.thumb.jpeg.ebbfbda69901ccd541faf1667bea5ba9.jpeg

EC665774-722B-47DB-802E-B3444A63F164.thumb.jpeg.ab888dac8b7e9ec66c430f23330168e1.jpeg

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Dug walk snaps. Took advantage of the break in showers before the snaw machine really gets going.

Champagne powder morning here.

IMG-20180227-WA0020.jpeg

IMG-20180227-WA0012.jpeg

IMG-20180227-WA0010.jpeg

• Like 9

Posted

A nice start with a dusting. Hopefully a lot more to come in the coming days - I'm hoping for more than 5 inches but expecting 6cm. 

It's great to see the thread busy again with the prospect of the best snow since 2010 in many areas. It's going to be interesting to see what the radar will show in the next couple of days and how much snow we get out of it. If this comes anywhere near 2010 then a memorable winter will become an epic one. For some, the snow will be more than epic - many eastern areas will see more than 15cm and some will get more than 30cm. Regardless of how much snow we get, we are on the cusp of the best late February snow since 2001 and 2006 for March with the coldest uppers for decades providing the best charts and the most impressive second-half of winter cold spell in my lifetime.

It's going to be a fun 48hrs+ and hopefully loads of snow - looking forward to everyone's snow reports and pictures.

• Like 4

Posted

Took the boy to school this morning nice dusting here at 0630, I'm a Firefighter up at Lochgelly, and as you may know the highest town in Fife. I'm night shift tonight so I put money on it being busy. It amazes me how bad some folk drive in this weather.

Posted
10 minutes ago, 101_North said:

As far as I can see it should begin to veer most easterly as the day goes on. Fingers crossed :)

Just heard the forecast on News 24 and your right.   Wind will veer easterly later.   Blimey, that was some forecast for the central belt?   Possible 40cms!   Amber warning still in force for the whole of eastern Scotland depositing a possible 25cms.

• Like 4

Posted
8 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

Just heard the forecast on News 24 and your right.   Wind will veer easterly later.   Blimey, that was some forecast for the central belt?   Possible 40cms!   Amber warning still in force for the whole of eastern Scotland depositing a possible 25cms.

Incredible stuff - if even half that comes off - we're going to be looking a widespread chaos tomorrow.  I've opted for the working from home tomorrow and Thursday - there is no way I'm going to attempt the drive to Glasgow.

• Like 4

Posted
13 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

Just watching the forecast on the Metoffice site, think we might need bigger shovels. :cold:

Edited by Cheggers
  • Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, A Winter's Tale said:

Epic euro4 20cm widely in central Scotland

18030106_2706.gif

The Kilmarnock snowshield holding firm I see.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

This is better than christmas and better than coffee & walnut cake and trifle and sticky toffee pavlova - all on the same plate :yahoo::yahoo:

• Like 2

Posted
21 minutes ago, Cheggers said:

Just watching the forecast on the Metoffice site, think we might need bigger shovels. :cold:

Tough!..............Now where did I park that snowblower?:D

Edited by Blitzen

Posted
Just now, Cheggers said:

Has it even been christened yet?

I bought the bloody thing in 2010!   I think once since then.   I've taken some stick on here for the last 7 years I can tell you!:D

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Blitzen said:

I bought the bloody thing in 2010!   I think once since then.   I've taken some stick on here for the last 7 years I can tell you!:D

Need to get a nice bottle of plonk and name it tomorrow, might be a good omen for future winters then.

Posted

Keeping my eye on this from SR

nmmuk3hrprecip.png

That will cripple the M8 and M80 and probably leave some under a fair amount of snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, sun in summer!

My window looks East over Largo Law and beyond...  INCOMING :)

• Like 2