Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
7 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

You’ll be fine. And if not, you can come and play in the snow in Broughty Ferry. :D

@Hairy Celt Great photos!

Your taking the pi55 now :clap:

The parents stay in Dundee so it is an option.....snowball fight on the beach followed by a sitty in visocchi's would be a nice winter treat 

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, LomondSnowstorm said:

Apologies again for disappearing :rofl: I was out longer than expected on Saturday, went to the film festival in Glasgow yesterday and, when I went to log on last night, the forum had crashed! Anyway it all looks pretty much as it did on Saturday which is unusual in these things but the basics of it are this:

'dangler' front hits tomorrow morning (models say 6-8am roughly but I reckon maybe 4-5am starting in the east), probably slightly disappointing (i.e. maybe 1-2cm to start with just or less if you catch too much of the 'warm sector' at the coast) in areas that don't do well from northeasterlies but the key point is that behind this the wind turns easterly and starts dragging in the beefier showers. We'll start off maybe with an ENErly which, if you've been here long enough, is a very good direction for Freuchie snaw but also Dundee, East Lothian, a few other spots. Through to Thursday the wind will gradually veer round to ESErly so plenty of opportunities for most places but as I said I particularly fancy the Forth-Clyde streamer on Wednesday and an all round pasting Wednesday night into Thursday. RE: Hawesy's predictions, I think they're pretty close (I don't fancy trying to measure it to be honest), maybe a bit low on Hairy Celt (I'd go 8cm?) although I know how difficult it is to get snow off an easterly in the Black Isle...Anyway, it's -2.5C here, absolutely classic 'calm before the storm' evening so let's enjoy it:drunk:

blah blah snaw and more snaw all very interesting.............but did u produce Saturday night ;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time
6 minutes ago, edo said:

blah blah snaw and more snaw all very interesting.............but did u produce Saturday night ;)

No comment...:rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
Just now, LomondSnowstorm said:

No comment...:rofl:

That's worse, you're leaving us to imagine what happened. Look away, those of delicate disposition...

• Like 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, LomondSnowstorm said:

Apologies again for disappearing :rofl: I was out longer than expected on Saturday, went to the film festival in Glasgow yesterday and, when I went to log on last night, the forum had crashed! Anyway it all looks pretty much as it did on Saturday which is unusual in these things but the basics of it are this:

'dangler' front hits tomorrow morning (models say 6-8am roughly but I reckon maybe 4-5am starting in the east), probably slightly disappointing (i.e. maybe 1-2cm to start with just or less if you catch too much of the 'warm sector' at the coast) in areas that don't do well from northeasterlies but the key point is that behind this the wind turns easterly and starts dragging in the beefier showers. We'll start off maybe with an ENErly which, if you've been here long enough, is a very good direction for Freuchie snaw but also Dundee, East Lothian, a few other spots. Through to Thursday the wind will gradually veer round to ESErly so plenty of opportunities for most places but as I said I particularly fancy the Forth-Clyde streamer on Wednesday and an all round pasting Wednesday night into Thursday. RE: Hawesy's predictions, I think they're pretty close (I don't fancy trying to measure it to be honest), maybe a bit low on Hairy Celt (I'd go 8cm?) although I know how difficult it is to get snow off an easterly in the Black Isle...Anyway, it's -2.5C here, absolutely classic 'calm before the storm' evening so let's enjoy it:drunk:

Quite. Difficult veering towards impossible. However, you never know till it hits.

Posted
10 minutes ago, edo said:

Your taking the pi55 now :clap:

The parents stay in Dundee so it is an option.....snowball fight on the beach followed by a sitty in visocchi's would be a nice winter treat 

You will get your fill of snow and then some. There will be a very strong wind to accompany the snow showers so they'll definitely blow through to you. I remember in 2010, for a few days there was a very slack flow and areas right on the coast were under an amber warning whereas a few miles inland, there was no warning because the showers hugged the coast only.

Some areas will see easterly winds right up until Sunday with Wed/Thurs/Fri looking like the main days. Even Saturday has potential (at the moment).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time
3 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Quite. Difficult veering towards impossible. However, you never know till it hits.

I mean if it's ever going to it might as well on Wednesday:

18022812_2612.thumb.gif.2405f2fa988cac7ddd60d7deaf9e5ef2.gif nmmuktempnew.png

• Like 3

Posted

Just in from a trip through to Lanarkshire and back as I doubt I will manage it mid-week. Just about every gantry on the motorways was warning of snow. This tread has been going well, pages and pages to catch up on!

Currently around -3.5 and we even had a slight touch of snizzle earlier.

Gone from expecting nothing here in the west to having the amber warning just a few miles up the road. If what is described comes off in a populated area, I'm expecting a red warning.

• Like 3

Posted
6 minutes ago, Sawel said:

You will get your fill of snow and then some. There will be a very strong wind to accompany the snow showers so they'll definitely blow through to you. I remember in 2010, for a few days there was a very slack flow and areas right on the coast were under an amber warning whereas a few miles inland, there was no warning because the showers hugged the coast only.

Some areas will see easterly winds right up until Sunday with Wed/Thurs/Fri looking like the main days. Even Saturday has potential (at the moment).

Yep I don't see that being too much of an issue either - even today in a very slack flow the showers were making their way through quite easily and anything between ENE and ESE tends to get through fine with lighter winds than those forecast anytime between Tuesday night and Saturday. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, LomondSnowstorm said:

I mean if it's ever going to it might as well on Wednesday:

18022812_2612.thumb.gif.2405f2fa988cac7ddd60d7deaf9e5ef2.gif nmmuktempnew.png

Yeah. I don't remember cold uppers like this from the east before, and the wind should pick up a bit too after today's zephyr.

Posted

Few flakes falling today in town, but sky was partially cloudly - dark fluffy clouds - and a wee heavier spell for a couple of minutes when I was heading home. Nothing spectacular.

Posted
11 minutes ago, Allyw12 said:

Thanks @edo & @TinyTim hopefully by Thursday we'll have a few cm on the ground??❄️??

Ally

No worries :) Lets just keep everything crossed and hope for the white stuff!

Tim

• Like 1

Posted
23 minutes ago, Sawel said:

This is the reassuring words I needed

Now I also need a couple of cms tomorrow lying on the AstroTurf so I can call the kids footy off as there always wired on a Tuesday night and I'd like to spend the time radar watching instead of coaching 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Check oot the scary face in the North Sea :O

FE77626C-32E7-48EA-AE52-32E73E3FEB23.thumb.png.61aa48f68a9c071cfd61b1f20b12b4e0.png

We’re doomed! 

• Like 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, Allyw12 said:

Thanks @edo & @TinyTim hopefully by Thursday we'll have a few cm on the ground??❄️??

Where's @over_the_rainbow??? Maybe away doing a snow dance 

Posted

Thanks Lorenzo for reminding me via 'sticky note' (I go away for a year and suddenly I feel like an old man trying to work out what 'the facebook' is) of the 500s - this is a helluva figure for an easterly: 

daf.thumb.gif.aff8b6ef60ff11ece148a3eb84ab5cfa.gif

Going to do a bit of archive searching to see the equivalent figures for notable beasts...

• Like 6

Posted

MO warning always confusing. On the page where I have my location it's got amber warning for Wednesday, then when you click on it there is only a yellow warning for my area, although it does say Glasgow/Bishopton for Amber warning, but amber only covers Glasgow, not Bishopton area. I'm actually in Paisley and no idea how I got Bishopton, but it's only about 2 miles away and I think that is where the official MO weather station is. Call me pedantic!

Edited by grifter

Posted
8 hours ago, Stormeh said:

Check oot the scary face in the North Sea :O

FE77626C-32E7-48EA-AE52-32E73E3FEB23.thumb.png.61aa48f68a9c071cfd61b1f20b12b4e0.png

We’re doomed! 

That's the snow shield being pushed out of the way! Was on the sauce, slept in and got caught out by the beast!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.
3 minutes ago, LomondSnowstorm said:

Thanks Lorenzo for reminding me via 'sticky note' (I go away for a year and suddenly I feel like an old man trying to work out what 'the facebook' is) of the 500s - this is a helluva figure for an easterly: 

daf.thumb.gif.aff8b6ef60ff11ece148a3eb84ab5cfa.gif

Going to do a bit of archive searching to see the equivalent figures for notable beasts...

Aye its aboot time ye put some focus back on this forum :nonono:

• Like 1