Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
1 minute ago, colrobs said:

The server appeared to crash about 5 minutes ago but logged me back in when I refreshed the page.

Might be related to server crashes right enough as I've only started getting them this week and the server has been crashing frequently. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal weather!

Just starting to snow a little here in Bathgate but not expecting it to come to much yet as the sky is overcast but bright.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Light snow here also, good start to the week ahead

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
1 hour ago, AugustSky said:

Hi everyone, a potentially very snowy week ahead for most of us!

I'm confused by the seemingly conflicting forecasts however - according to the Met office forecast my area shows almost constant snow between Wednesday and Sunday. But my BBC weather app on my phone shows hardly any snow, a few showers in the morning of Tues and Wed then almost nothing from Thurs to Sunday? Why the huge discrepancy? 

The apps are pretty useless in these situations, especially more than 36 hours ahead. Met O more likely to be nearer the mark imo but even then just look at a couple of days ago for tomorrow and compare with today's forecast for tomorrow.

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal weather!

Thanks everyone, I've deleted my BBC app now and installed the Met office app instead :). I do feel it's pretty irresponsible of the BBC having an app that is so inaccurate when so many people rely on it. It's probably one of the reasons that the people I've told to be prepared for a week of snowy disruption haven't believed me :nonono:

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero
1 minute ago, Hawesy said:

@Benvironment 32cm (good luck measuring it)

I do like the accuracy fine-tuning of adding that extra 2cm ;-) Like you say, given the wind it'll probably all end up in a big pile against the fence!

Good luck, everyone! :)

Edited by Benvironment
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
10 minutes ago, AugustSky said:

Thanks everyone, I've deleted my BBC app now and installed the Met office app instead :). I do feel it's pretty irresponsible of the BBC having an app that is so inaccurate when so many people rely on it. It's probably one of the reasons that the people I've told to be prepared for a week of snowy disruption haven't believed me :nonono:

Yep, that pretty much covers everything associated with it nowadays!:angry:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

WOW hawesy, 30cms is nearly a foot of snaw. I'll take it and hope yer right - you were the last 2 times! :rofl::yahoo::rofl::yahoo:

Posted

Not sure why but I'm feeling less sure of snow depth here.  Forecasts seem to be putting everything further south.  Dundee to Durham the sweet spot.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

:hi: @Hawesy  I'll gladly bank that!

'MON THE SNAW!!!!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

@Hawesy

22cms for me?...........Who loves ya baby!:yahoo::give_rose:  (Unless of course, I get nowhere near that amount then DUCK!!):laugh:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!
29 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

Decided just to bite the bullet and get it out there.....here are your snowfall totals through until the end of Wednesday only. Again apologies to newer or returning members not on the list, nothing personal, these are just the folk/locations I’m most familiar with. Particularly nervous about the Moray Firth and hope I have badly underestimated. All just for fun, of course and good luck, I hope we all see plentiful snow! :)

@Mr Frost 5-20cm (not exactly sure where you live mate, so hedging my bets!)

Thanks for pointing that out! I have just realised that after being on this forum for 9 years that I have not put my location in! :rofl:

Will do it just now for future snow predictions! I will take anywhere between those totals you are going for though plus it gives you less of a margin for error. :D

Cheers! 

Edited by Mr Frost

Posted

Hmm, both BBC and Met Office apps have it cloudy here with a little sun.  It's been snowing, albeit lightly, for a fair little while now and radar appears to have this continuing for a lengthy spell.

Posted
18 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

Decided just to bite the bullet and get it out there.....here are your snowfall totals through until the end of Wednesday only. Again apologies to newer or returning members not on the list, nothing personal, these are just the folk/locations I’m most familiar with. Particularly nervous about the Moray Firth and hope I have badly underestimated. All just for fun, of course and good luck, I hope we all see plentiful snow! :)

@Cheggers 24cm

If your bang on the money, might need to turn our road into a new Olympic Downhill training course for a few weeks. :cold: 

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, howham said:

Not sure why but I'm feeling less sure of snow depth here.  Forecasts seem to be putting everything further south.  Dundee to Durham the sweet spot.  

Keep the faith.  Im sure there will be some surprises along the way.   

just nipped out at lunch and there is definitely an edge to the wind.    

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

First reminder today for all of us (not that we needed reminding from previous easterly spells). That is, never mind what the BBC or MetOffice forecast says will happen anywhere locally, radar and nowcasting wins every time :D

Edited by Paul Martin
  • Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Gogoslo said:

Keep the faith.  Im sure there will be some surprises along the way.   

just nipped out at lunch and there is definitely an edge to the wind.    

There is, my cape got blown up a bit there and it was raw in the bones type of cold!

Posted
3 minutes ago, Paul Martin said:

First reminder today for all of us (not that we needed reminding from previous easterly spells). That is, never mind what the BBC or MetOffice forecast says will happen anywhere locally, radar and nowcasting wins every time :D

Paul

Thank you :)  I need the optimism I'm afraid... we've had a few lonely flakes here and the pessimist in me is still expecting it to somehow go a little wrong (i.e a couple of cms!) But... got to keep the faith!  Good luck to everyone and may you all be digging yourselves out with a shovel at the end of the week!

Tim

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
20 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

@aggy Trace/dusting (sorry pal, heart says yes, head says no)

@edo 18cm

@Stormeh 15cm

@Ravelin 22cm

@Blitzen 22cm

@Norrance 20cm

@Ruzzi 25cm

@snowidea 17cm

@101_North 20cm

@CatchMyDrift 23cm

@Hairy Celt 3cm (very nervous about this, hope I’m way out)

@scottish skier 26cm

@GraemeB 13cm

@moffatross 10cm

@snowy owl 16cm

@mardatha 30cm

@mistyqueen None (sorry, compadre)

@grifter 10cm

@Northernlights 5cm (as with HC, may be way out)

@Northern Strath 25cm

@NorthernRab 6cm (again, hope I’m wrong in the right way)

@Benvironment 32cm (good luck measuring it)

@Polar Gael 15cm

@shuggee 25cm

@Cheggers 24cm

@NUT 22cm

@Kayemill 6cm

@Big Innes Madori 25cm

@DR(S)NO 2 cm

@ghoneym 15cm

@Mr Frost 5-20cm (not exactly sure where you live mate, so hedging my bets!)

@ciel 20cm

@howham 17cm

@igloo 7cm

@Spindrift2017 14cm

@Mandy Langlands 10cm

@Paul Martin 14cm

@LomondSnowstorm (Freuchie) 20cm

and

@Hawesy (after careful consideration)....8cm

Eh, this lot is coming across Europe Hawesy, so ye'll need tae add VAT tae those Totals :D

Big Innes

• Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

Thanks for pointing that out! I have just realised that after being on this forum for 9 years that I have not put my location in! :rofl:

Will do it just now for future snow predictions! I will take anywhere between those totals you are going for though plus it gives you a great margin for error. :D

Cheers! 

:D I grew up in Simshill/Kings Park so your neck of the woods. Let’s go with the 20cm since I’m biased! :rofl:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!
2 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

:D I grew up in Simshill/Kings Park so your neck of the woods. Let’s go with the 20cm since I’m biased! :rofl:

Aye - Kings Park is only a ten minute walk down the road from me! (lovely place and people)

Agreed - 20cm it is! :rofl: