Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW :-D

Hi ??

Do you think thunder snow is possibility?  Always remember being woken by the thunder snow in 2010 and then looking outside to seeing the snow ??❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️?

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Allyw12 said:

Hi ??

Do you think thunder snow is possibility?  Always remember being woken by the thunder snow in 2010 and then looking outside to seeing the snow ??❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️?

Yes there is a high chance with such an unstable and cold flow at this time of the year although the nearer you are to the east coast increases the possibilty as do any streamers,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

It's getting chilly out ❄️❄️

Currently 0.4 degrees - and I know this because after blathering on about the weather for the last few winters the other half surprised me with a wee weather station ?  Only problem is I'm now being asked question like 'what's a dew point?', 'what does this number mean', 'is that humidity good?'  No idea pal, but I can tell you the temperature in the kitchen and outside at the north facing wall of the shed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie
25 minutes ago, Allyw12 said:

Hi ??

Lightning is being mentioned in the Amber warning on Weds so the ingredients are there

2502amber2weds.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Posted

The probability of a Forth streamer is looking quite high for the middle of next week; my question is that being in Glasgow, does this have any bearing on our chance of snow.  Have heard of a "Forth-Clyde" streamer but I am unsure as to whether this is the same thing as a Forth streamer or Clyde streamer...thanks!  Im thinking its a Clyde-Forth streamer when the precip. comes W to E and Forth-Clyde when E to W.  Does this theory have any merit?

Edited by jmp223
  • Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, jmp223 said:

The probability of a Forth streamer is looking quite high for the middle of next week; my question is that being in Glasgow, does this have any bearing on our chance of snow.  Have heard of a "Forth-Clyde" streamer but I am unsure as to whether this is the same thing as a Forth streamer or Clyde streamer...thanks!  Im thinking its a Clyde-Forth streamer when the precip. comes W to E and Forth-Clyde when E to W.  Does this theory have any merit?

Yes that’s right Forth-Clyde because it’s east to west. It’s a bit of a holy grail for Glasgow folks as it can lead to some of our very best snowfalls (eg Jan 87). I say ‘our’ though I have not lived in Glasgow since 2004. :D

Posted
25 minutes ago, Serac said:

Best ...... Countryfile ..... Forecast ....... EVER

Just caught it on iplayer, looking like the kind of forecast people will repost on here in a few years time :cold: if anyone missed it its at https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b09s8khj/weather-for-the-week-ahead-25022018

Untitled.jpg

Edited by Weather Wonder
  • Like 6

Posted
1 minute ago, Hawesy said:

Yes that’s right Forth-Clyde because it’s east to west. It’s a bit of a holy grail for Glasgow folks as it can lead to some of our very best snowfalls (eg Jan 87). I say ‘our’ though I have not lived in Glasgow since 2004. :D

Im praying that the snow gods deliver! I havent seen any major snowfall since I was a wee lad in 97,98 I think. And so began my fascination with weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter Sun in summer

The snow showers off the Aberdeenshire coast are pepping up a bit now may see some white stuff fall soon 

• Like 1

Posted

Realky hope the Streamer works wonders here in Helensburgh because if it doesn’t then it looks like snow flurries with not much lying this week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.
19 minutes ago, jmp223 said:

The probability of a Forth streamer is looking quite high for the middle of next week; my question is that being in Glasgow, does this have any bearing ofnour chance of snow.  Have heard of a "Forth-Clyde" streamer but I am unsure as to whether this is the same thing as a Forth streamer or Clyde streamer...thanks!  Im thinking its a Clyde-Forth streamer when the precip. comes W to E and Forth-Clyde when E to W.  Does this theory have any merit?

Yes. Forth-Clyde streamer is a definite and repeatable phenomenon. The estuary acts as a further stretch of water allowing convection to push further west, making even "inland"  areas near/downwind of the estuary (West Lothian, West Fife, Stirling/Dunblane, North Lanarkshire) almost a part of the North Sea coast. Also with a bit of height in those areas you get decent dumps of snow. Glasgow profits in the same way (2010 case in point and in the easterly aspects of 2009/10). Doesn't work so well in reverse of course because there's no equivalent Clyde estuary reaching this far east but stuff can still barrel west to east through the central belt (but less dependably than in the setup we'll see this week).

Edited by Paul Martin
  • Like 2

Posted

Im enjoying my sunday pint went out for some air and can really feel that easterly starting to bite.  It feels 10* lower than it did 4 hours ago, even though in actuality its only dipped by about 3-4 degrees

Edited by jmp223
Typo
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.
4 minutes ago, Michael Kaii said:

in all fairness people what would you think the chances of a red warning in the central belt this week?

It'll be after it's happened, that's whats happened in 2010 !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: any storms
7 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

HELLO BEASTIE :):):):)

image.thumb.png.812664c19a3a3df91606ba3a661ed451.png

Hello Countryfile - can I see this week's menu please..

Yes sir - here you are

image.thumb.png.2c213dbb6175eb9dd7f0227bc0c55083.png

Liking the look of this especially the sunshine bit.

living  in the west of Scotland I've grown up loving rare weather conditions

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Winter Cold said:

Hey everyone

Visiting from the Yorkshire thread :)

Im coming up to Scotland tomorrow for a 4 night break in Strathyre, cant wait to visit the gorgeous Scotland again! I booked it precisely to try and see some snow haha. Looks like ive maybe timed it just right?

What do you guys think for that area this week? Wednesday-Thursday looks good from what I can make out? Hoping to see some good 'proper' deep snow by the end of the week :cold:

And then to top it off, i might have some at home when i get back on Friday lol!

Not too sure you'll be able to travel home, thats why i live here now :D

Posted

Thought there had been a slight flurry in the Brechin area tonight around 18.30. On returning home after visiting daughter and family in Berwickshire (sorry, Borders) I stopped off there to pick up milk and there was some white sparkly stuff in the then dark car park. Might have been salt, :closedeyes: but seriously, I'm not sure it was.

Temp was 3C and I had watched clouds encroaching on the journey north.

• Like 4