Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
Just now, AFC Snow said:

Hoping for similar scenes to the March 2006 event here. The wind is obviously easterly instead of northerly but it is looking good.

Yes.  Similar dates too.  I remember that spell actually started the last days of Feb.  IIRC the thundersnow was 3 March.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow winter, hot summer
1 minute ago, howham said:

Yes.  Similar dates too.  I remember that spell actually started the last days of Feb.  IIRC the thundersnow was 3 March.

Certainly the best week of snow in my lifetime and my favourite weather event. Anything close would be very welcome indeed.

Posted
8 minutes ago, AFC Snow said:

Certainly the best week of snow in my lifetime and my favourite weather event. Anything close would be very welcome indeed.

Personally, I think Nov/Dec 2010 was better here but by that point I was no longer living in Aberdeen city.  2006 was certainly very impressive though.

Posted

Busy in here. Is it going to snow?

Another day of wall to wall sunshine. Felt cold yesterday and colder today. Ground still frozen in the shade.

Still hopeful I will see a bit of snow making it west if a few features pop up in the flow. Looking a great event for all you in the east.

• Like 1

Posted

Interesting that the MetO automated forecast has me in an ENE wind direction from Tuesday to Saturday, with the exception on some occasions where it turns due easterly, SE or ESE doesn't feature once which I was quite surprised at 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

I just have one concern about the upcoming cold spell this week...my girlfriend is due to give birth on March 5th and the worst case scenario would be for the wee bugger to announce his arrival early during a Clyde streamer while I am in lamp post watching mode or out enjoying it! :rofl:

We have narrowed the name down to two...but I’m still trying to throw a weather related name into the hat! (she will never go for it but worth at least the discussion!) Any you can think of? (it’s a boy)

I actually had the name Storm down for a girl so my plan was ruined - Stormzy for a boy maybe? :D

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,high winds, thunderstorms, extreme weather
8 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

I just have one concern about the upcoming cold spell this week...my girlfriend is due to give birth on March 5th and the worst case scenario would be for the wee bugger to announce his arrival early during a Clyde streamer while I am in lamp post watching mode or out enjoying it! :rofl:

We have narrowed the name down to two...but I’m still trying to throw a weather related name into the hat! (she will never go for it but worth at least the discussion!) Any you can think of? (it’s a boy)

I actually had the name Storm down for a girl so my plan was ruined - Stormzy for a boy maybe? :D

Its got to be Blizzard

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow
13 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

You are Mr Frost so how about Jack? 

Jack Frost :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, frosty, snow....lots of snow! Oh....and more snow!

Good luck @Mr Frost and Mrs Frost!!

I have a snow baby too! I spent a week in ninewells hospital glued to this forum watching out a window at the lampposts ? Last thing I remember before being put under for an emergency section was the surgeon saying, you can tell your baby it just started snowing as she was about to be born! It snowed the day we left the hospital then snowed the day we went to register her birth!

• Like 8

Posted
36 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Why were you surprised? (curious :) )

Nothing technical, just thought there would have been more of a southerly element to the easterly starting to creep in towards the latter half of the week. I'll defo take an ENE for the whole week though, it's perfect for here 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
25 minutes ago, Landylou said:

Good luck @Mr Frost and Mrs Frost!!

I have a snow baby too! I spent a week in ninewells hospital glued to this forum watching out a window at the lampposts ? Last thing I remember before being put under for an emergency section was the surgeon saying, you can tell your baby it just started snowing as she was about to be born! It snowed the day we left the hospital then snowed the day we went to register her birth!

My daughter too was born on a snow day in Ninewells on 12th March. Since the she has seen snow on several birthdays including 2006 when her big party was cancelled.

On a different note I have been looking into the mt madhouse with a sense of detachment as they argue over will it / won't it break down on Friday as I have not seen one model yet that shows us in NE UK missing out on convective snowfall at the least from Tuesday through Saturday?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
1 hour ago, Mr Frost said:

Daddy no-condom style...

Posted
56 minutes ago, Norrance said:

My daughter too was born on a snow day in Ninewells on 12th March. Since the she has seen snow on several birthdays including 2006 when her big party was cancelled

my youngest was born during hurricane Bawbag,

glorious day today, but the bright sun playing havoc with ma sore head, but was worth it :yahoo:

3608A050-F2A8-415D-A44A-01B6FC1DD74D.thumb.jpg.720e77e5b1776b9a79b2c4d0e65d569b.jpg

Edited by Cheggers
  • Like 2

Posted

Two amber warnings now for Englandshire on Tuesday.  Do we think any will be issued up here?  No doubt when it's too late...

If the blizzard arrives down there on Friday I would assume the red warning would be rolled out.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw
2 hours ago, Mr Frost said:

Just go shut the door and ignore her if that happens.

If she's making too much noise, phone her parents and ask them to pick her up. Failing that, an ambulance.

Absolutely no way you should miss this incoming snaw.

:wink:

Edited by scottish skier

Posted
3 minutes ago, howham said:

Two amber warnings now for Englandshire on Tuesday.  Do we think any will be issued up here?  No doubt when it's too late...

If the blizzard arrives down there on Friday I would assume the red warning would be rolled out.

I’m sure that the amber warning for up here will be along any moment...

Or will that wait until hell freezes over (even then it would probably only be a yellow warning!)

Posted

Can anyone remember back to 2010 - didn't we get a Red warning on the Monday morning?  I think that's what sparked me to leave work early before the worst of the snow hit.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Ross B said:

Amber oot on Wednesday for the east! 

I got this notification from Accuweather, but can' aactually see it on met office website. Where did you see it?