BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

wow CMD a dewpoint of - 19 north east france 

bonkers

• Like 4

Posted
5 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

It's looking like a week where we run out of superlatives. Bonkers, crazy, mental, insane, nuts, ridiculous, preposterous. Unless the models fall apart very soon we're on for the most extreme snow event for many years. If the charts are right we're talking feet of snow for some lucky person. 

I fully expect the Express to come up with some new ones.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Morning all!

Agree with @CatchMyDrift - this really does have the potential to be one of the all time great Winter/Spring weeks in Scottish history! :D

The East is seriously going to get buried! Can see Edinburgh airport struggling big time by midweek to get flights In and out!

Wednesday looks an insane day for Forth/Clyde streamers! Honestly what a Winter this has been and continuing into Spring! :cold:

Enjoy yer Sunday! (Stunning day today)

Edited by Mr Frost
Streamers not steamers - plenty of those all year round.
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snoooowwww with some thunderstorms on the side

Took a trip up near Lochnagar yesterday, hopefully we all have drifts like this in our back garden next week!

D3CAAE99-4994-417D-BC7B-BC0461A47ECA.jpeg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw
8 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

Wtf? Mosquitoes whining in the kitchen now. Can they not read calendars or thermometers? 

Or meto forecasts.

Five days of snaw symbols now for here in the southern NE of the UK @Paul Martin.

:shok:

meto25feb.png

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
54 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

It's looking like a week where we run out of superlatives. Bonkers, crazy, mental, insane, nuts, ridiculous, preposterous. Unless the models fall apart very soon we're on for the most extreme snow event for many years. If the charts are right we're talking feet of snow for some lucky person. 

Please God, give it to 101-North....I haven't got time for the pain!:D

Hope you are right Catch.  

Sitting here this morning with the sun streaming in seems a bit surreal and a bit hard to take in that which appears to be sitting on our doorstep for the next week or so?

-0.1c/-1c

static_weathercams.php.jpg

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 5

Posted
14 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

The first course of the cold spell is starting to unfold on the Euro4 at +48hrs (this model only goes out to +48hrs on public websites). The kink in the isobars should always hold precipitation and this is shown beautifully here:

euro4tues.thumb.jpg.403e511c1714d6808bbd860892870c15.jpg

That's where the Euro4 ends for now, it's run 4 times a day so we'll get the 06z later this morning.

Meanwhile the GFS picks up nicely where the Euro4 leaves off and brings snow to the east of Scotland on Tuesday morning. Several cms widely across the east:

tuessnow1.thumb.jpg.634a91dbf928ef4f9be658472659f09e.jpgtuessnow2.thumb.jpg.28094d0a016bec0721627d101b7a080f.jpg

I have to admit to feeling like I'm six years old again and it's Xmas on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and possibly Sunday too. What can possibly go wrong??? (don't answer that bit)

Don't get the snow measuring stuck out and you'll be ok:cold:

• Like 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, jamieson87 said:

A crisp fresh morning at North Berwick beach. Have a feeling it won't look as serene in 48 hours. 

20180225_085540.jpg

I dunno. I lived there from when I was 9 until 19 and I think it snowed just twice. 

It's where they send kids who love snow to punish them. White Christmases never come to North Berwick.

Other than that it's really lovely.

EDIT

EURO4

18022700_2500.gif

First organised feature incoming.

Even the oil rigs will be getting buried it seems.:D

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow
20 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I have to admit to feeling like I'm six years old again and it's Xmas on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and possibly Sunday too. What can possibly go wrong??? (don't answer that bit)

Yes it’s looking very good, even I am excited here in the west. That first band of snow could possibly make it across the central belt and with the possibility of Forth-Clyde streamers it’s certainly a period of exciting weather coming up. Looking forward to seeing some deep snow pictures from our members in the East :)

The model thread is all about Friday which is really annoying considering the possibility of disruptive snow across many areas the next few days.

Edited by Stormeh
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
4 minutes ago, Ross B said:

Don't get the snow measuring stuck out and you'll be ok:cold:

Don't get the snow measuring stick stuck!

Cold here this morning.

I'm still doubtful we'll get snow here - I'm just expecting a week of low temps and some big ice bulges on the western hills.

• Like 1

Posted

Could someone please explain what a Forth-Clyde streamer is? Is it when the showers travel further inland because they’re going over water?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Morning all from a very chilly and blue skied Skye! Looks like some of you might get buried alive next week, but I'm sure someone will dig you out before Easter! Still looking like a no show fur snaw up here, but that's fine by me as the cauld will be  enough for me to deal with! ⛄❄ I'd advise you all to start panic buying now as there won't be a loaf left on the shelves by Tuesday!

Edited by mistyqueen
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
10 minutes ago, jamieson87 said:

A crisp fresh morning at North Berwick beach. Have a feeling it won't look as serene in 48 hours. 

20180225_085540.jpg

It'll be interesting to see the beach covered in snow. Also I've twice seen the firth here start to freeze around slack pools, then get snow over that, which can be very photogenic. And pretty stunning anyway!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Will try and get some pictures this week too! I'm sure it'll be like a competition for best snowy view in Scotland this week!

Edited by mistyqueen

Posted
13 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

Please God, give it to 101-North....I haven't got time for the pain!:D

Hope you are right Catch.  

Sitting here this morning with the sun streaming in seems a bit surreal and a bit hard to take in that which appears to be sitting on our doorstep for the next week or so?

-0.1c/-1c

static_weathercams.php.jpg

Just block me now - might be easier :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!
5 minutes ago, CameronWS said:

Could someone please explain what a Forth-Clyde streamer is? Is it when the showers travel further inland because they’re going over water?

Hi mate 

Have a read of @Jo Farrow blog explains it all perfect and is a fantastic read! :santa-emoji:

Link below!

https://www.netweather.tv/weather-forecasts/news/8748-sea-effect-snow---the-uk-version-of-lake-effect-snow-very-cold-air-across-the-north-sea

• Thanks 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, CameronWS said:

It's more some sort of semi-organised disturbance in the flow which creates a stream of showers which line up (with wind direction) to carpet bomb a narrow geographical area with one snow shower after another. 

As it stands, we have cold, dry (continental origin) air moving over a relatively warm north sea. That means the air is undersaturated with moisture when it comes in contact (attempts to achieve equilibrium) with the sea so quickly sucks it up. When it hits dry land, it begins to rise and cool again, meaning its equilibrium water saturation drops sharply and it hits the dew point. As it's very cold, the dew appears directly as snaw.

Combine these two and you might as well have a snaw machine on full downwind of you in the neigbour's garden.

EDIT

See link in post above from a weather expert (I'm just a geochemist).

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
1 minute ago, 101_North said:

Just block me now - might be easier :D

Now why didn't I think of that before now!:D

Posted
  • Location: Carnoustie Angus Scotland. (week days) Dundee (weekends)
  • Location: Carnoustie Angus Scotland. (week days) Dundee (weekends)

Morning all :) wonder if we may see thundersnow this time?  it fascinated me in 2010

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

SS did you ever get yer gas canister? Amazon brought me a breadmaker last night so we're in full seige mode here, it can snaw until Easter sunday lol

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, mardatha said:

SS did you ever get yer gas canister? Amazon brought me a breadmaker last night so we're in full seige mode here, it can snaw until Easter sunday lol

Not yet. I'll come over by sled if we run low in bread. We're good for flour.

• Like 1