Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

So, back from my week in the Canaries, and it appears there's nothing exciting happening... A sleet shower in Suffolk maybe?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

hello ? HC and Shuggee..... 

yup been a few snow starved places.... hopefully some of those do well this week

southern cousins in meltdown chasing breakdowns

once in a lifetime charts potentially and they can't seem to see what is in front of them 

im staying out of there for a few days 

meanwhile fun could start locally on Monday with some v light flurries 

Screenshot_20180224-230525.png

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sunshine
3 minutes ago, edo said:

hello ? HC and Shuggee..... 

yup been a few snow starved places.... hopefully some of those do well this week

southern cousins in meltdown chasing breakdowns

once in a lifetime charts potentially and they can't seem to see what is in front of them 

im staying out of there for a few days 

meanwhile fun could start locally on Monday with some v light flurries 

Screenshot_20180224-230525.png

so theres no sign of this being water down. near enough the real deal

Posted
3 minutes ago, aggy said:

Serious question how will the whole of Ireland get pasted with snow but Ayrshire won’t ? ?

Eastern parts of Ireland will see snow from the Easterly...

Other parts of Ireland could see snow if the low moves up through.

Posted
7 minutes ago, aggy said:

Serious question how will the whole of Ireland get pasted with snow but Ayrshire won’t ? ?

Won't see that much but in easterly convective showers hitting East Coast over Irish sea. 

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
5 hours ago, Northern Strath said:

Was never in doubt, the knowledge that @Big Innes Madori would get them telt if they took the lead, proved just too much for the English 

get in Scotland!! :yahoo:

Whit a day, whit a result and noo you lot are talking aboot takin their snaw next week ?

Perfec

Big chuffed tae Fk Innes 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow
14 minutes ago, aggy said:

Who said Ayrshire won’t see anything? There is a great chance of snow falling anywhere over the next week or so. Obviously eastern areas will do better but with this easterly anything can pop up over the North Sea and become organised and move across to Ayrshire. I just checked the latest GFS and it shows a low moving up from the south hitting the cold air bringing snow for all areas :)

A61DF26E-9647-40E1-B81C-CC6447BB4EB6.thumb.png.9482172f595dfd566449697808c69090.png

• Like 2

Posted

IF the GFS goes to fruition (which it won't) Scotland wouldn't be out of the freezer for another 2 weeks at least

Posted
1 hour ago, edo said:

ive never been so confident of being sure it will snow and a decent fall at that.... its quite bizarre 

even i would throw my toys oot the pram if this somehow went titticus verticus

Edo

Me too :) Lets hope we're buried in snow and not toys!

Tim

Posted
44 minutes ago, Michael Kaii said:

so theres no sign of this being water down. near enough the real deal

only been upgrades so far and no signs of any watering down.... LS post earlier on today highlighted the situation superbly well.... 

i expect to receive a met office email in work on Monday advising of disruption for the week 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sunshine
1 minute ago, edo said:

only been upgrades so far and no signs of any watering down.... LS post earlier on today highlighted the situation superbly well.... 

i expect to receive a met office email in work on Monday advising of disruption for the week 

i Think you could be right there. im expecting at least some amber warnings but i have got an other question i see how the met office has a level 3 cold warning for all of england but not for scotland is there a reason why is that? complete newbie here lol

Posted
3 minutes ago, Michael Kaii said:

i Think you could be right there. im expecting at least some amber warnings but i have got an other question i see how the met office has a level 3 cold warning for all of england but not for scotland is there a reason why is that? complete newbie here lol

Michael 

I 'think' its because that warning system only covers England, but I don't think there is a Scottish equivalent.

Tim

Posted
6 minutes ago, Michael Kaii said:

I think it's because it is not a service the Scottish Government subscribes to although not 100% sure.

Edited by JamesM

Posted

yup correct an English thing, there are updates sent to local governments in Scotland  though which are pretty detailed forecasts...... 

Edited by edo
  • Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, edo said:

yup correct an English thing, there are updates sent to local governments in Scotland  though which are pretty detailed forecasts...... 

Edo

Hence your confidence? ;)  Hum... sounds interesting and promising!

Tim

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

After tomorrow, there's parts of north and central Highlands (@Northernstrath for example) that aren't likely to see positive temps for the next couple of weeks. Could be a few frozen rivers and lochs, burst pipes, hungry birds and small animals, so even if we don't see epic snowfalls, there'll still be some wintriness about.

• Like 3

Posted

Morning all. Not posted in a while but this coming week has got my attention. What a stunning outlook from the Met Office to wake up .can’t remember them being so blunt about a forecast for a long time. 

I spent a bit of time last night making new snow depth sticks as couldn’t find the ones from 7 years ago. Nearly time to see if I made the scale high enough.....

BB402EB5-D648-4168-8CBB-DA2CF53823D6.png

• Like 1

Posted
7 hours ago, Stormeh said:

Who said Ayrshire won’t see anything? There is a great chance of snow falling anywhere over the next week or so. Obviously eastern areas will do better but with this easterly anything can pop up over the North Sea and become organised and move across to Ayrshire. I just checked the latest GFS and it shows a low moving up from the south hitting the cold air bringing snow for all areas :)

A61DF26E-9647-40E1-B81C-CC6447BB4EB6.thumb.png.9482172f595dfd566449697808c69090.png

I checked the snow fall total charts and coastal Ayrshire was zilch I have faith we can get something as the conditions are perfect for snow  and it’s a rairity here . ?

• Like 1

Posted
7 hours ago, edo said:

We have the Traffic Scotland Twitter, so it's all good.

:pardon:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!
6 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

Wtf? Mosquitoes whining in the kitchen now. Can they not read calendars or thermometers? 

Yes they can HC, that's why they've all come inside to stay warm and cosy

Posted
8 hours ago, TinyTim said:

Edo

Hence your confidence? ;)  Hum... sounds interesting and promising!

Tim

:rolleyes:correct Tim that and the actual charts in front of us and the whole lack of marginality.... everything is in our favour for once..... theres always a chance the heaviest of showers always miss us and you get a bit of a let down but that seems unlikely or of course that convectivity is less than we anticipate which is also unlikely..... 

• Like 1