Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
9 minutes ago, Norrance said:

I was working in Aberdeen that year and did not get much snow inFebruary.  Weekends either in Dundee or Perthshire and there was some snow but nothing causing significant disruption unlike Eastern Englandshire.

Fingers crossed this spell kicks its ass..

Posted
7 minutes ago, LomondSnowstorm said:

Hi everyone, long time no see!

great to see you post again mate.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Great to see you back @LomondSnowstorm

I loved reading your posts on potential cold and snow events. I cant wait to hear your thoughts on next week :)

Welcome back! :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
3 minutes ago, LomondSnowstorm said:

If you haven't been following my antics on facebook I'm back in Scotland this year working in Cumbernauld for an MP/MSP for my sins, but I've still been tracking the charts closely. It took me a wee bit to get into the schedule of 9-5 rather than the ad hoc night time working I'm used to so I haven't posted in far too long but the -15C uppers have drawn me back in again:cold::cold::cold:

I'm just back in from a (quiet) night out with some other long lost friends so I'm a bit tired but if I don't do a proper summary tonight I'll get one up tomorrow morning after the 00Zs are out. There were one or two moments in the evolution where it looked a tad dicey, and had the potential to turn into something of a high pressure snoozefest here a la February 2012 but fortunately I suspect it's more a question of how good and how long rather than if we'll get any snow at all at this stage, at least for those of us not to the west of the mountains...

You know you're going to be asked loads of embarrassing questions don't you?  ( Not by me) :rolleyes:......but I will be looking out for the answers!:laugh:

Great to have you back LS.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.
10 minutes ago, Sawel said:

Have many events bettered that other than 2010 I'm guessing?

There's been a few good ones in my memory but Feb 1978 here was biblical at points and is 2nd in my mind to Dec 2010.

Edited by Paul Martin
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time
3 minutes ago, 101_North said:

For the 2nd time tonight I find myself typing Welcome Back :D

Cheers, good to be back :D It's been a decent enough winter especially given how often we've had westerlies (3 days off because the office was closed for snow isn't bad for cold zonality!) But we haven't really had a decent easterly since 2013 and even that winter was mostly too marginal or too late, but this one is really setting up very nicely, with the depth of the cold pool and the positioning of the block leaving something like a November 2010 as a distinct possibility. 

5 minutes ago, Paul Martin said:

Yay you're back ! We've got the full house :friends: Will someone be relaying back reports from the Freuchie met station  ? :D

Well I'm back living at the Freuchie Met Station until the summer at least so I suspect that Tuesday onwards the commute to Cumbernauld will get 'interesting' to say the least:cold:

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sunshine

According to sean batty its the wrong type of snow to make a snowman! But perect  for sledging as the air will be so cold There goes my plan of making use of a week off from work lol 

Edited by Michael Kaii

Posted
4 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Little Fluffy Clouds, Cumulonimbus mix

I haven't heard The Orb in years but now 2 mixes of that track in one evening :D

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!
18 minutes ago, LomondSnowstorm said:

If you haven't been following my antics on facebook I'm back in Scotland this year working in Cumbernauld for an MP/MSP for my sins, but I've still been tracking the charts closely. It took me a wee bit to get into the schedule of 9-5 rather than the ad hoc night time working I'm used to so I haven't posted in far too long but the -15C uppers have drawn me back in again:cold::cold::cold:

I'm just back in from a (quiet) night out with some other long lost friends so I'm a bit tired but if I don't do a proper summary tonight I'll get one up tomorrow morning after the 00Zs are out. There were one or two moments in the evolution where it looked a tad dicey, and had the potential to turn into something of a high pressure snoozefest here a la February 2012 but fortunately I suspect it's more a question of how good and how long rather than if we'll get any snow at all at this stage, at least for those of us not to the west of the mountains...

Bloody hell mate from Stockholm to Cumbernauld!? So sorry to hear that. :D Would not wish that on my worst enemy. :rofl:

Good to have you back! 

Edited by Mr Frost

Posted

Hi all.. Old lurker here coming out of the woodwork :) can't believe I joined here in 2005 lol 

I'm expecting most of us to get plenty of snow next week, but perhaps not for too many in the first hit from the East

No signs yet of this being a brief cold snap and opportunities abound with those crazy uppers and relatively high SSTs

Expecting to be sledging on Corstorphine Hill by the start of March, and the West must be hit at some point... 

• Like 9

Posted
13 minutes ago, Paul Martin said:

Can only speak for Embra in Feb 1991 easterly. 2-3 weekdays of heavy snow showers then on the Saturday afternoon into the Sunday a heavy and long fall. Decent depths, I'd have to find the pictures I took in town on that Sunday (didn't do digital photography back then!). 

It was certainly a good event in Glasgow. I was up skiing in the Cairngorms and when I got back to Glasgow there was about 8” of snow. Not in the same league as Jan 1987 but notable nonetheless.

Nice to see you back @LomondSnowstorm :)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
6 minutes ago, Paul Martin said:

There's been a few good ones in my memory but Feb 1978 here was biblical at points and is 2nd in my mind to Dec 2010.

1978 was great here too and only equalled or bettered by 2010. Inland especially in the Highlands there have been many better events but for the East coast these are the best since 1963/47 etc.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time
Just now, Mr Frost said:

Bloody hell mate from Stockholm to Cumbernauld!? So sorry to hear that. :D Would not wish that on my worst enemy. :D

Good to have you back! 

Thanks - I'm still living in Freuchie so I haven't had the full experience of Cumbernauld other than my office in the village but the job's good and there's only so long you can stay in Stockholm without actually earning money :rofl: I've still got the option to do another year back over there too after the summer but for now you're stuck with me :friends:

Anyway I'm going to have a bash at a summary now...

• Like 7

Posted

This place is buzzing tonight!

Netweather may need a bigger server or this forum is going to crash next week!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
7 minutes ago, Michael Kaii said:

According to sean batty its the wrong type of snow to make a snowman! There goes my plan of making use of a week off from work lol 

Trust batty Sean to know that!     Doesn't stick to the dog either.:D

Posted

I don't why but I found this comment hilarious!

Rust accumulations! :rofl:

Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.617d740989dec96ea139a0a32f4d817c.jpg

Posted
20 minutes ago, Norrance said:

1978 was great here too and only equalled or bettered by 2010. Inland especially in the Highlands there have been many better events but for the East coast these are the best since 1963/47 etc.

I've been in Dundee since 1999. Moved from Northern Ireland. 2010 is head and shoulders above anything I've experienced to date and is the yardstick of cold and snowy spells that I judge others against. I love hearing and reading about the famous winters in bygone years from 47 up to the 90's. Would have been amazing to have experienced them but with this cold and snowy spell looming I have a chance to experience something akin to those epic winters of the past. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!
17 minutes ago, 101_North said:

Well - loads of old faces reappearing today! At this rate even @More Snow could drop in :D

Speaking of old faces - what ever happened to @Buriedundersnow ?

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Sawel said:

I've been in Dundee since 1999. Moved from Northern Ireland.

What a coincidence! I've been in Edinburgh/Currie since 1999. Moved from Northern Ireland :)

Posted
1 minute ago, 101_North said:

Stillburiedundersnow?

I know what happened now - judging by this farewell post. :D

I am sure you all kept in regular contact and emailed all the time...:rofl:

9892F43A-3C41-4F45-9052-1A3846736146.png

Posted
4 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

I know what happened now - judging by this farewell post. :D

I am sure you all kept in regular contact and emailed all the time...:rofl:

9892F43A-3C41-4F45-9052-1A3846736146.png

Looks like he abandoned the forum in anticipation of something @Hawesy was about to post! Snow depths? More wet baws chat?