Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
1 hour ago, trumpage said:

I am driving upto Fort William for a weeks holiday on Saturday 3rd March if the charts verify it might be a long challenging journey in my 2wd BMW?  How do those roads usually hold up in the snow.  On the plus side it looks like I might be able to ski straight from my door.  Bought some cheap snow blades for a bit of cross country skiing thinking I might have to carry them half way up the mountain.  Not going by the latest charts!  Snow right down to the lochs!

FW might be one of the least snowy places because it's west of some rather big hills. Famous last words, and all that.

Posted

0.5c with a fresh wind and ground drying up.Just scared  off thousands of geese on a grass field. who had been there all night Don"t mind giving them a days grazing but want to make sure that we all share the grazing

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Cripes. Convene Cobra, Giles.

Yes Ma'am. King, Tree or Black Desert?

Don't mess about Giles, just summon Cobra.

A short while later....   5a8fd5085639b_snakeattack.thumb.jpg.19c0230dc14c82d2ee9e02c04b3cef1a.jpg   Giles, I said COBRA not PYTHON, you idiot.

Bizarre headline generator: Python Trumps Blizzards Mayhem 

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 1

Posted

Is starting to look more and more likely that the forth-Clyde streamer will make an appearance at some point next week as models firm up on the orientation and location of the high. A quick look at the auto forecast for Livingston show this up well too, some snow on Tuesday followed by snow all day Wednesday and Thursday. 

I'm starting to get the goosebumpies 

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Ruzzi said:

Is starting to look more and more likely that the forth-Clyde streamer will make an appearance at some point next week as models firm up on the orientation and location of the high. A quick look at the auto forecast for Livingston show this up well too, some snow on Tuesday followed by snow all day Wednesday and Thursday. 

I'm starting to get the goosebumpies 

I've heard the word streamer used a few times on this site.

What does it actually mean?

Thanks

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!
1 hour ago, scottish skier said:

But I like mine.

It has saw starting Monday evening, then snaw all day Tuesday, all day Wednesday, then all day Thursday again....

:D

EDIT

As per the ECM ecm end of run reload fae the NE, from the GFS ensembles this looks like going on well into march.

t850Midlothian.png

ecmt850.240.png

So that should be close to the same forecast for me SS? The husband keeps rolling his eyes and says we're only getting slight showers for Wed and that's all. He believes the BBC!!

Edited by mardatha

Posted
17 minutes ago, jamieson87 said:

I've heard the word streamer used a few times on this site.

What does it actually mean?

Thanks

Basically when you have a very cold airmass passing over a warm surface (relatively speaking), which in our example would be the very cold air passing over the North Sea, which I believe will be some 20C warmer than the airmass above, it draws up loads of moisture forming clouds very quickly and then spewing it out when it crosses over the land. So that's the basics of how it operates, the streamer side of it comes from when the flow between the isobars roughly follows an inlet or body of water, so again in our example, a ENE flows follows the Firth of Forth, drawing up all the moisture and then it can deliver an almost constant stream of snow over the West Lothian area in a line through towards Lanarkshire and possibly further. The width of the area tends not to be too wide in our case. Maybe 15 miles wide, sometimes just a few miles wide which can be the difference with some seeing feet of snow and others seeing a few inches. The closeness of the isobars, aswell as the geography of the land dictate how far inland the streamer can penetrate. 

To put it simply, it's basically a narrow band of heavy, constant lake effect snow. This is only my understanding of it, others may wish to add to that. 

Just to add to the complication, you don't definitely need an inlet or body of water for a streamer to set up, you can get streamers setting up just from the sea and whacking the east coast, but I'll be honest, in those instances, I'm not sure what exactly dictates the location of the streamer, but certainly an inlet or body of water helps. 

Edited by Ruzzi
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, Ruzzi said:

Basically when you have a very cold airmass passing over a warm surface (relatively speaking), which in our example would be the very cold air passing over the North Sea, which I believe will be some 20C warmer than the airmass above, it draws up loads of moisture forming clouds very quickly and then spewing it out when it crosses over the land. So that's the basics of how it operates, the streamer side of it comes from when the flow between the isobars roughly follows an inlet or body of water, so again in our example, a ENE flows follows the Firth of Forth, drawing up all the moisture and then it can deliver an almost constant stream of snow over the West Lothian area in a line through towards Lanarkshire and possibly further. The width of the area tends not to be too wide in our case. Maybe 15 miles wide, sometimes just a few miles wide which can be the difference with some seeing feet of snow and others seeing a few inches. The closeness of the isobars, aswell as the geography of the land dictate how far inland the streamer can penetrate. 

To put it simply, it's basically a narrow band of heavy, constant lake effect snow. This is only my understanding of it, others may wish to add to that. 

Just to add to the complication, you don't definitely need an inlet or body of water for a streamer to set up, you can get streamers setting up just from the sea and whacking the east coast, but I'll be honest, in those instances, I'm not sure what exactly dictates the location of the streamer, but certainty an inlet or body of water helps. 

Great explanation for a newbie like me. Thanks very much.

This may explain why places like West Lothian always seems to get a bigger accumulation that the City Of Edinburgh, would that be correct?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

I mentioned disruptive snowfall for this area in company last night for the first time. Got a mixed response including a couple who were for heading straight to the shops for milk and bread right away. Some scepticism though and I now have a bet on with one person that Dundee will have > 5cms of snow lying by next Thursday evening. I should say that the bet relates to the Western outskirts of the city, not Broughty Ferry. Think I might be on a winner.?

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 4

Posted
30 minutes ago, jamieson87 said:

This may explain why places like West Lothian always seems to get a bigger accumulation that the City Of Edinburgh, would that be correct?

Yep exactly, but it comes down to direction of the flow, so if the flow is more NE or NNE rather than ENE then it's more likely to bring the city into the game. But generally a ENE or direct E wind direction it's the likes of West Lothian, north Lanarkshire that get the worst of it. If the flow is strong enough you can get the precipitation making it through towards Glasgow. 

It is also harder for the snow to settle in Edinburgh city centre due to its proximity to the sea and the fact that it's very low in respect of height above sea level, but with the upcoming set up next week, that won't be an issue, it'll be purely down to where the precipitation falls, no marginality at all by Tuesday/Wednesday. So if the flow were to turn more NE then the city could well get a very good fall 

Edited by Ruzzi
  • Like 5

Posted

https://www.netweather.tv/weather-forecasts/uk/7-day/27162~Stirling/7

I know there's no snow on the forecast - but those temps coupled to a "brisk" wind means it's going to be a Taps Oan day.

Edited by GraemeB
  • Like 2

Posted
52 minutes ago, jamieson87 said:

I see @Ruzzi beat me too it :)

There's a whole host of reasons why West Lothian does better than Edinburgh but I wouldn't necessarily count a Forth-Clyde streamer as one of them. Edinburgh can do very well from a streamer (relative to it's low lying, exposed, coastal position) but as it's an easterly based setup it's actually quite a rare thing. A NE flow especially can be great. Anything South of East can be crap. In the more common westerly setups, like we've seen this winter, I'd guess that the main reasons West Lothian does better than Edinburgh is that it's less sheltered, is further west and in general has a greater height above sea level. 

Being less sheltered West Lothian will generally catch more showers from most directions. Even it's modest altitude can have a huge impact on the amount of falling and lying snow - especially the case with frontal snowfall. A greater height above sea level will also generally mean heavier precipitation than more low lying areas which is why weather warnings will often have far greater accumulation amounts for higher lying areas. Livingston for example is around +150m and many parts of West Lothian much higher than that and so don't suffer the same issues as Edinburgh in marginal setups.   

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

For Tuesday all the way to at least Thursday, the MetO only have 1 symbol out of 24 for me that's not got a snowflake on it. :shok:

Mrs SS had me buy a canister for the camping gas stove the morn on Amazon, so it's all likely jinxed now anyway. 

Sorry folks. 

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 4

Posted

I can only assume that if the rest of the UK had a similar warning system to Public Health England then the entire UK would be Amber!

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/cold-weather-alert/#?tab=coldWeatherAlert

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

It’s such a nice day today, it feels pleasant in the sun. You wouldn’t think that we are going into the freezer soon. A lot of people who don’t follow the weather are in for a big shock next week :cold::)

• Like 4

Posted

I think a lot of folk will take it with a pinch of salt given that, over the winter thus far, there have been numerous warnings but the actual weather hasn't been as bad.  It's trying to get the message across to the uninitiated just how serious this is.

• Like 2

Posted
19 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I'm going from excitement about the snow to starting to think this could be quite serious if it doesn't get watered down soon. I'm up for it but you've got to spare a thought for less able people getting stuck at home or farmers with livestock to look after.

100% agree.

People I'm talking to are all "AYE RIGHT MATE, WHATEVER, JUST LIKE LAST MONTH AYE?" - and they're completely right.  I feel like that dude who tried to warn villagers about a wolf stuck in a dyke.

Or something.

• Like 2

Posted

Are we ramping yet ? :)

A couple of 2010 pics of my street after a few days in an Easterly.

image.jpeg

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow

@Hawesy 

Consider this for some lucky areas when suggesting snow amounts?

0AADD17A-3E8A-4F9B-B3C3-1826A43AF4D5.thumb.jpeg.36d267177a4c115e3468974f30420929.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw
19 minutes ago, Polar Side said:

Are we ramping yet ? :)

A couple of 2010 pics of my street after a few days in an Easterly.

We're into the ramps of biblical proportions stage now I believe.

Stiles_Masada.001.jpg

• Like 2