Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

Who will have miss any snaw ME !!!! ? everytime 

any one know why the I phone weather app is showing 5-6oc for Ayr next week surely to god that’s incorrect ??  

Posted

I think it’s time to create the Kilted Thread Snow Optimism Scale. It ranges from 1 to 10. At 10 we have @Northern Strath who is always optimistic and no expletive wonder because he always has snow. At 1 we have @101_North who still doesn’t believe he’ll see snow even after it’s fallen :D

I’d rate myself a 3, cautious and with a healthy scepticism about snow chances at any given time. If someone was to push me into a guess at this stage I wouldn’t be expecting more than 1-3cm for some eastern coastal areas (inc. Edinburgh, Dundee and Aberdeen) through the end of Tuesday. Beyond that I’m not prepared to commit. Yet! :)

Edited by Hawesy
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
6 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

The cold spell is slowly coming into range of the higher resolution models.

Here's the ICON for Tuesday, looks promising for the east:

20180222_184828.thumb.png.37d8edeb930fe53dfe5ff0875597c6b0.png20180222_184801.thumb.png.107992dce38a3aefe0575485762e78de.png20180222_184728.thumb.png.fe2b4c5b5693ec06357f90d362449f89.png

The end result probs won't look like this but it's promising.

That last one can't be right. There's a blob right on my house!

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

I think it’s time to create the Kilted Thread Snow Optimism Scale. It ranges from 1 to 10. At 10 we have @Northern Strath who is always optimistic and no expletive wonder because he always has snow. At 1 we have @101_North who still doesn’t believe he’ll see snow even after it’s fallen :D

I’d rate myself a 3, cautious and with a healthy scepticism about snow chances at any given time. If someone was to push me into a guess at this stage I wouldn’t be expecting more than 1-3cm for some eastern coastal areas (inc. Edinburgh, Dundee and Aberdeen) through the end of Tuesday. Beyond that I’m not prepared to commit. :)

I'm probably between you and @101_North - I don't even trust radar or lamp-posts these days, never mid speculative and fantastical ppn charts:  the snow has to be accumulating on my coat sleeves when my hood is up and I have to be outside (to avoid misinterpretation of bad dandruff). Also confirmation by another witness, by affidavit. So I'm open to the truth, but there must be proof.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw
9 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

I think it’s time to create the Kilted Thread Snow Optimism Scale. It ranges from 1 to 10. At 10 we have @Northern Strath who is always optimistic and no expletive wonder because he always has snow. At 1 we have @101_North who still doesn’t believe he’ll see snow even after it’s fallen :D..

Where do fit on the scale if you're increasingly negative because you can't help but feel it's going to snow so heavily the airport will shut, screwing up your ski holiday plans? 

:wink:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Anyone else spot the aside at the end of the Reporting Scotland weather forecast? I think that she said possible significant snow on Monday. That is earlier than most expected and somewhat surprising from the Beeb.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, scottish skier said:

Where do fit on the scale if you're increasingly negative because you can't help but feel it's going to snow so heavily the airport will shut, screwing up your ski holiday plans? 

There's a scale of imaginary numbers for you...:blink2:

Posted
1 hour ago, Hawesy said:

:rofl: Defined by my westerly based snow potential anxieties!

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, scottish skier said:

That’s above my pay grade, SS. What day do you fly out?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

The BBC has for my postcode 2 whole hours of light snow showers on Wednesday, and that's IT. I'm not listening to you lot any more, I'm not playing !!:girl_devil:

Posted
21 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

That’s above my pay grade, SS. What day do you fly out?

Och no for a couple of weeks, so snow lovers should hope my worries are founded.

A couple of weeks of blizzards and being snowbound then a short thaw would do me. :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.
8 minutes ago, mardatha said:

The BBC has for my postcode 2 whole hours of light snow showers on Wednesday, and that's IT. I'm not listening to you lot any more, I'm not playing !!:girl_devil:

I spent most of my time here in the 2009/10 and 2010/11 winters, both had many notable snow events then in Scotland as we all remember. but as we also remember the BBC/MetOffice were regularly wrong about where, when and how much snow would fall. Often they were very wrong even in the 6-12 hours before lots of us got dumped on. They're particularly poor when it comes to easterlies here and virtually any snow forecast they make for here next week I would ignore at this point. If these favourable charts from Mon/Tues onwards come to pass,  I have no doubt we'll see plenty snow in east/central areas, at which point the BBC/Metoffice will play catch up by nowcasting. Which is what we'll all be doing anyway in conjunction with the radar !

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

I don't know where this chart is from, but I like it. It's the 24 hour precipitation totals for Wednesday.... I know, too far out, but suggestion of Scotland seeing plenty more of the action than being mentioned elsewhere. Personally I think some places in Scotland will rival the snow totals down south by the end of the week 

IMG_8287.PNG

• Like 4

Posted

Oh man, cannae quite believe I'm looking at -10 C or lower T850's for a near a week incoming.

t850Midlothian.png

• Like 5

Posted

http://veryweather.co.uk/warning-week-of-severe-disruption-likely-as-beast-from-the-east-brings-heavy-snow/

interesting read this one, not too much detail but a particular mention about the Scotland central belt ?

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.
3 minutes ago, Ruzzi said:

http://veryweather.co.uk/warning-week-of-severe-disruption-likely-as-beast-from-the-east-brings-heavy-snow/

interesting read this one, not too much detail but a particular mention about the Scotland central belt ?

And I thought I was ramping...:cold:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!
19 minutes ago, Ruzzi said:

Funny you mention that...was just looking at the BBC forecast for the Glasgow area and took a wee screenshot of these. :D

To be taken with a large pinch of salt obviously but still you just never know. 

256A0EB3-15EC-4EE2-A715-2B41EFEF85C8.png

E5EE8387-9BC0-49D5-9C70-3243DC898B90.png

5F507497-A43F-4BB5-A995-BD84AE7A042B.png

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, Mr Frost said:

Funny you mention that...was just looking at the BBC forecast on line for the Glasgow area and took a wee screenshot of these. :D

To be taken with a large pinch of salt obviously but still you just never know. 

256A0EB3-15EC-4EE2-A715-2B41EFEF85C8.png

E5EE8387-9BC0-49D5-9C70-3243DC898B90.png

5F507497-A43F-4BB5-A995-BD84AE7A042B.png

Hope you've a phone charger nearby!

Posted
22 minutes ago, Ruzzi said:

As you say, interesting. Good to read a 'forecast' that doesn't sit on the fence too much and gives some idea of what might happen without being too worried about the detail.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
3 hours ago, Hawesy said:

I’d rate myself a 3, cautious and with a healthy scepticism about snow chances at any given time. If someone was to push me into a guess at this stage I wouldn’t be expecting more than 1-3cm for some eastern coastal areas (inc. Edinburgh, Dundee and Aberdeen) through the end of Tuesday. Beyond that I’m not prepared to commit. Yet! :)

yup thats probably not a bad guess but id maybe go as far as 5 cm in Dundee certainly that and more by end of Wednesday..... based on current output

i used to be a 7 or 8 for optimism... recent winters have driven me to a 5 but im pretty confident this spell will deliver

• Like 5

Posted

Well its a fairly mild  night out there just now with a  fresh southerly breeze at 4c. Things are drying up though as the air is getting less humid

Just noticed  too that the red lights on the windfarm four miles away  are now down to two instead of twelve.Fair fuss created by the locals so they have been replaced with infra red ones.  Even I thought they were they were rather intrusive.

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Hairy Celt said:

As you say, interesting. Good to read a 'forecast' that doesn't sit on the fence too much and gives some idea of what might happen without being too worried about the detail.

Aye, couldn't agree more. One thing is for sure, it's going to get interesting. There'll be sleepless nights a plenty next week for some ? And seen as I'm still off work injured, I'll be happy to do some nightshifts. 

I'll still hang my neck on the fence, and say that the army will be out somewhere in the uk over the next 2 weeks as a result of this. ..... and yes @Polar Gael, it may be another small ramp, a mere speed bump compared to what will transpire next week... sh£t3, there I've went and done it again ??

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
11 minutes ago, 101_North said:

Hope you've a phone charger nearby!

@steve murr  battery levels 

• Like 3