Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
3 minutes ago, Norrance said:

I think that you are correct. With the convective showers not that much penetrates through. In 1987 for example the East coast and Central belt with no hills to the East got plastered but the West Highlands got nothing and Speyside a few inches  only. Later in the week as troughs and depression come in to play there is the chance of heavy snow though.

i think we will see odd flurries from early Monday and some half decent showers later Monday night making it in as far as Perth and Tueaday Wednesday far more heavy snow reaching further in..... 

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, edo said:

@jamieson87 make sure you add your location to your details....... dont worry its not too stalk you just so when u report its snawing we know whaur aboots 

Done. I'll be sure to check in should I spot any of the white stuff.

Fingers crossed anyway.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
4 minutes ago, Gogoslo said:

I see the mets latest update focuses most of the heaviest snow likely to be south and east.   Are we likely to see any of the white stuff in the north east next week? 

With the forecast temps as long as the flow is off the North Sea you should get snow even if you are nearer the  high pressure. Later in the week you may get more "organised" snowfall.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
37 minutes ago, Norrance said:

I think that you are correct. With the convective showers not that much penetrates through. In 1987 for example the East coast and Central belt with no hills to the East got plastered but the West Highlands got nothing and Speyside a few inches  only. Later in the week as troughs and depression come in to play there is the chance of heavy snow though.

Yeah, spot on. In terms of managing expectations, if you have significant high ground to your east I wouldn’t be expecting much if any snow from the convective easterly (assuming it does happen of course). So if you’re on the Clyde coast or live next to @mistyqueen I’d be looking for signs of troughs moving into the cold air later next week for snow potential. 

Posted

Question is, should I be booking time off work next week to work on the snow predictions table?:D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
3 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

Question is, should I be booking time off work next week to work on the snow predictions table?:D

That would be a yes!?

Test your ability to cope with an Easterly.

• Like 4

Posted
Just now, Norrance said:

That would be a yes!?

Test your ability to cope with an Easterly.

I’m scared!

Who needs snow anyway (says the guy who has seen just one fall at home in 7 years) when you have glorious sunny days like today! :)

Reached -4.8c at Leuchars this morning, coldest reading of the month!

• Like 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

Yes!! No need to worry about marginality, it'll be more about topography, convective potential, identifying troughs and area of more organised precipitation and you might not get another chance to have a go at predictions like these until the next easterly in 2026 ?

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, minus 9 said:

Cheers for the reply. The more the merrier.

Aye certainly will be interesting, keep us updated 'when' it starts to come down ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....
6 hours ago, jamieson87 said:

Do the models really show not much snow for Scotland?

Not too much forecast for my neck of the woods as I'm too far west! Some folk in the east look like they'll be getting a severe dumping, but I had my fair share during the last snowfall when it was all from the west. I might get a dusting and that's fine by me. Time for others to get a few inches of white stuff to play in! :cold:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snoooowwww with some thunderstorms on the side

I’ll have to go find my bin again so it can look like my profile picture again next week! Charts are looking brilliant at the moment so fingers crossed.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

I will only get excited at +0 hours :closedeyes:

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!
Just now, Stormeh said:

I will only get excited at +0 hours :closedeyes:

Feeling the same - for us in the West Central area it is going to be a slow burner. (Wednesday onwards our fun could start)

Looking forward to all the pictures in here from folk in the North East, East and South East! Plus popping into other regional threads to see all the snow action - going to be a memorable cold spell for many. 

Had a great snow fix this Winter in the West - great to see everyone buzzing with excitement and so they should be! :cold::cold-emoji:

What a way to end Winter and start Spring - charts and Metoffice outlook are just mind blowing for cold and snow across large swathes of the UK. :santa-emoji:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Yep I think it’s the East of Scotland’s turn to get the snow and they deserve it :)

We have done very well in the the west this winter but I won’t be surprised if we get some more snow next week making it through the central belt. Plenty of potential for many areas, exciting period of weather coming up :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW :-D
53 minutes ago, JoeShmoe said:

That UKMO chart is beyond ridiculous ...

Good ridiculous ? ??❄️❄️❄️☃?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
2 minutes ago, Sam Mithell said:

Any snow total charts /predictions? For Perth ?

7' 6"? Dunno what that is in new money. Don't think it's possible to start looking at likely areas for snow until the start of next week.

• Like 2