Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

Beautiful morning. Birds singing , daffs starting to burst through the soil. First signs of a little bit of warmth from the sun.

clearly Spring is just round the corner.

An awful lot of people in for an imminent surprise next week

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Morning all! Everyone getting excited aboot the arrival o' the Beastie Boy then? Had a quick peek in the Mod thread, oh dear! Seems a lot of folk might be emigrating to Greenland/Sweden/Russia or some such place if they don't get any white stuff next week! Sad! Anyhoo, it looks like there will be a severe lack of the white stuff here next week, and that doesn't bother me. I'll be too busy trying to cope with the cold! :cold:

• Like 2

Posted
26 minutes ago, mistyqueen said:

Morning all! Everyone getting excited aboot the arrival o' the Beastie Boy then? Had a quick peek in the Mod thread, oh dear! Seems a lot of folk might be emigrating to Greenland/Sweden/Russia or some such place if they don't get any white stuff next week! Sad! Anyhoo, it looks like there will be a severe lack of the white stuff here next week, and that doesn't bother me. I'll be too busy trying to cope with the cold! :cold:

Do the models really show not much snow for Scotland?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
46 minutes ago, Serac said:

Beautiful morning. Birds singing , daffs starting to burst through the soil. First signs of a little bit of warmth from the sun.

clearly Spring is just round the corner.

An awful lot of people in for an imminent surprise next week

I'll say!:laugh:

images.jpg

If next week's runs are correct,  below temp will feel positively balmy!    -1c.

static_weathercams.php.jpg

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, jamieson87 said:

Do the models really show not much snow for Scotland?

There is potential for copious amounts for areas of Scotland, Misty lives on Skye so not favoured in an easterly set-up but given the outlook, anything looks possible :) 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Northern Strath said:

There is potential for copious amounts for areas of Scotland, Misty lives on Skye so not favoured in an easterly set-up but given the outlook, anything looks possible :) 

Ah okay, thanks.

Forgive my ignorance, I have only just started looking at models ect this week since the "beast" has been talked about. Fascinating stuff really. 

• Like 2

Posted

I think given how things have gone recent years that until it actually occurs no-one will be 100% convinced it's going to happen, just been our luck.  But it looks like this is one the bookies would pay out early on.  I was wondering about the Forth-Clyde valley being a funnel to showers from the East though it looks like I won't have to rely on that for snow.  Superb outlook.

• Like 1

Posted

As if this winter hasn't given us enough Brucie Bonuses we got more treats to come so it seems

• Like 1

Posted
40 minutes ago, jamieson87 said:

Ah okay, thanks.

Forgive my ignorance, I have only just started looking at models ect this week since the "beast" has been talked about. Fascinating stuff really. 

I'm totally lost with a great deal of the models too so rely on the excellent input on here, looks very promising for next week! A fine parting gift from this winter by the looks 

• Like 1

Posted
27 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Just ask away in here, we will all try to help you. I've been looking at charts for 15 years and I'm still clueless half the time. 

Yep @jamieson87, you'll always get help in here, the Model Thread is a different story half of the time. If you see @Hawesy start talking about his wet baws then don't worry, none of us know what he's talking about either ??

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

28th Nov 2010?? I was in the upper Port at that time (Kilmacolm).

ECM Charts look good for a repeat...very similar. Time will tell :)

Cant remember exact date but yeah i remember kilma got buried as well. I remember being home a day or so after and snow was almost level between shrubs in my folks garden,  and about a foot or so height between them!

Edited by grifter

Posted

I'm from the south west tread. But heading up to avimore to sample some Scottish snowboarding from next Monday to Friday. Do any off you think the Cairngorms will get plastered from this set up. Would be just as happy stuck in a blizzard.

• Like 2

Posted

Like yesterday it's cloudy again with the difference being the wind's starting to pick up (as predicted)

Posted
21 minutes ago, minus 9 said:

I'm from the south west tread. But heading up to avimore to sample some Scottish snowboarding from next Monday to Friday. Do any off you think the Cairngorms will get plastered from this set up. Would be just as happy stuck in a blizzard.

Possibly during the second half of the week, commencing maybe Tuesday, Wednesday it's hard to call at the moment with orientation and flow changing from run to run but certainly would expect snow at some time from Tuesday through to the end of the week. Depending on how it sets up, it could be biblical 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw
25 minutes ago, minus 9 said:

The eastern highlands (so lecht, Glenshee and to an extent Cairngorm) are in a better position to benefit than the west (Glencoe and nevis range).

Your problem could be too much snow! In Scotland it's either that or too little. :wink:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero
3 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

The eastern highlands (so lecht, Glenshee and to an extent Cairngorm) are in a better position to benefit than the west (Glencoe and nevis range).

Your problem could be too much snow! In Scotland it's either that or too little. :wink:

Too true. When Cairngorm gets the deep snow there's usually a two mile tailback at the Glenmore snow gates cos the mountain road is being dug out!

• Like 1

Posted
37 minutes ago, Ruzzi said:

Possibly during the second half of the week, commencing maybe Tuesday, Wednesday it's hard to call at the moment with orientation and flow changing from run to run but certainly would expect snow at some time from Tuesday through to the end of the week. Depending on how it sets up, it could be biblical 

Cheers for the reply. The more the merrier.

• Like 1

Posted
34 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

Cheers for the reply. Bring it on

Posted

Newbie here.  Been looking at the models thread and from what I can see they almost all look like down south being hit with cold weather - not here?

Is this right or will we get some of the white stuff here?  Ideally in the central belt (quite fancy snowboarding down cockleroi again - not done it since 2010)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
1 hour ago, Ruzzi said:

I think that you are correct. With the convective showers not that much penetrates through. In 1987 for example the East coast and Central belt with no hills to the East got plastered but the West Highlands got nothing and Speyside a few inches  only. Later in the week as troughs and depression come in to play there is the chance of heavy snow though.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

@jamieson87 make sure you add your location to your details....... dont worry its not too stalk you just so when u report its snawing we know whaur aboots 

• Like 5