Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Model thread's good this evening.......................:rolleyes:

images.jpg

Posted

It's been a fine day, all day today. Temps a bit lower than yesterday, but with nae wind and temp around 5 - 6C it was still OK outdoors. And I really appreciate the longer daylight hours now. Spent around an hour or so in the garden this afternoon - quite a a few flying insects around.

There remains significant disparity between the Meto and NW regarding the weekend and early next week forecasts, in my area anyway. The former indicates cold but dry, even wind backing WNW by Tuesday, while the latter forecasts snow from Sunday onwards with generally wind from the east to north east. Much as I try to understand the synoptics etc it is so difficult to understand the detail and different projections without a background of scientific framework.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW :-D
40 minutes ago, NorthernRab said:

Oh my! 

h850t850eu.png

That's screaming very heavy snow for central Highland. Most of northern Scotland in fact!

I hope we all get some snow next week, especially Perth ?

• Like 5

Posted

As expected the models are showing different solutions for the cold spell, with some shifts south and north and the uppers not as cold as previous runs (for parts of England at least). The charts are still impressive with a very cold easterly and most solutions look pretty decent for snow chances. Eastern areas are looking good for snow in most scenarios being modelled, it's just a question of how much snow will fall and how far inland. At the moment I think even my chances of seeing some snow are quite good although this could change depending on whether the set up is conducive enough for convective snow showers. Some charts have shown the potential for frontal snowfall coming into play, so there could be more oppurtunities for snow if the easterly doesn't deliver. A prolonged cold spell isn't looking likely at the moment but it's too early to be thinking about the breakdown with cold set to arrive next week and hopefully plenty of snow will follow. There's the potential for further upgrades with some recent runs showing very cold upper air in Scandinavia with uppers close to -20C not far away from the Shetland Islands, which is extraordinary for the end of winter.

• Like 4

Posted

Fantastic day with wall to wall sunshine and no wind. Picked neeps for Spring Show competition in Inverurie next Wednesday and popped them in the garden in case they are buried by snow and if its that bad may not even be able to get them there. Stocking sheds  too with straw bales from the field too so we have access to dryer straw.. Will fill all log baskets in the next few days and get oil topped up so we have cooking and hot water in case the electrcity fails with any heavy snowfall. Currently clear and 0c

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
33 minutes ago, Allyw12 said:

I agree because if you get it then it has already dumped loads here! ?

• Like 1

Posted

59 minutes ago, Allyw12 said:

25 minutes ago, Norrance said:

I agree because if you get it then it has already dumped loads here! ?

I agree with both of you because that would mean.....oh, you get the gist. :D

• Like 5

Some twit in the mod this morning told me eastern scotland would only see a dusting due to the cold being more prominent down south? Yesterday charts showed us in eastern scotland getting pounded from the 28th onwards , is the twit correct or are we still going to get hammered ? 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
5 minutes ago, Sam Mithell said:

Some twit in the mod this morning told me eastern scotland would only see a dusting due to the cold being more prominent down south? Yesterday charts showed us in eastern scotland getting pounded from the 28th onwards , is the twit correct or are we still going to get hammered ? 

I don't think that he is correct even with the poorer runs for E/ Central Scotland. We will have to wait and see though.?

• Like 3

Posted

Would it be fair to suggest here near Motherwell we'll fair well with the Forth-Clyde valley funnelling showers through?

Edited by Rickoza
Predictive text error

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW :-D
41 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

I'd take this set-up.

h850t850eu.png

Would we see any snow for this set-up? or dry & cold ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow
13 minutes ago, Allyw12 said:

Plenty of snow, especially for the east :)

• Like 3

Posted
12 minutes ago, Allyw12 said:

Maybe a dusting ? 

Nah in all seriousness, that's a cracking chart for stacks of snow. If that chart gets within 12 hours of verifying consider bringing the snow shovel into the house so you can dig your way out of the front door ?

• Like 1

Posted

'Awrite Stevie wonder' 

that's the funniest thing I've seen in there in a while. It'll be deleted by the morning most likely but I probably found it funnier than it really should be ?? 

all in good banter @Stormeh 

IMG_8281.thumb.PNG.ee29ace3c7ac38087858c7228056ef66.PNG

Edited by Ruzzi
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow
1 hour ago, Ruzzi said:

'Awrite Stevie wonder' 

that's the funniest thing I've seen in there in a while. It'll be deleted by the morning most likely but I probably found it funnier than it really should be ?? 

all in good banter @Stormeh 

Haha thanks ? yep just banter ??

• Like 1

Posted

Another proper winter morning. Mainly a hazy blue sky, with a few pink streaks as the sun rises, no wind to speak of and a substantial layer of ground fog. Temp -2C.

Scotrailing to Glasgow later this morning to meet up with a young rel. for lunch.  The NW forecast projects a pleasant sunny day there and comparatively mild temps.

Posted

Fine  dry start to the day here at 0c .

Just musing just now looking at the model thread that the phrase "Be careful what you wish for" comes to mind especially for  those that have not  seen any snow yet this winter as it appears very disruptive snowy weather is on its way.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 5

Posted

Wonder if any ppn sneak through to the west, would be good to see, but had snow fix already! Remember 2010/11 i was working in edenburg but through here at wkend, i kept missing the falls in edinburg, then missed the one big dump we got in the west, left about a foot in port glasgow. Came to the conclusion it was me that was the snow shield lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

My meto auto forecast is now snaw all day Tuesday and Wednesday..just waiting for Thursday to come into view. :)

Some very nice charts out overnight.

GFS op is close to the mean out to early march, so looking good for winter gaun oot wi a bang.

t850Midlothian.png

Similar case with the ECM (yesterday's 12z London surface T):

ensemble-tt6-london.gif

EDIT

Wee occlusion + trough on the fax T120 tae watch.

20180221.2105.PPVO89.png

As we've seen in some of the outputs, little features giving frontal snow could add to the fun and increase chances for western kilters.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 4