Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.
17 minutes ago, 101_North said:

My naturally sunny disposition has me imagining all sorts of disappointment! I can handle crushed hopes from the west but this is something different entirely:rofl:

Yeah same as you, I'm fearing that a maximum-strength snow-shield will be assembled with specially reinforced deflectors over a 10 mile radius of Edinburgh Castle, with huge snowy radar blobs going north, south, east and west of us. But if these charts do come to pass at the start of next week then I'd say its close to impossible that we'd be able to avoid snow here.  

Edited by Paul Martin
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

So what day is the snow expected to start here for me? Serious question by the way, as I need to get a biggish online grocery shop from Sainsbugs.

I know. I am so banal.

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Like this but snowier?? :)

Screenshot_20180220-121106.thumb.png.0a8029eafb6367123a1e77391dd67224.png

I'm with you on the slightly north of east wind direction, it puts a grand total of about 18 miles of land between me and hundreds upon hundreds of miles of North Sea.

Yep, exactly like that with more of the white stuff. Had a brief spell of it in March 2013 but only lasted about 10 hours, 2010 we had snow every day for a week to my recollection, and then a dry cold respite over the weekend before it turned more northerly and the band of chaos moved down from the north on the Monday 

Posted
30 minutes ago, JoeShmoe said:

question, are there any realistic conditions (not this cold spell necessarily) where Edinburgh, Dundee etc could get 'lake effect' type snow?

Some links and suggestions in this thread:

and here:

https://rgsweather.com/tag/sea-effect-snow/

http://www.weatherquest.co.uk/news-archive.php?idx=64

So I guess convective showers from an Easterly could be defined as lake/sea effect. Not sure if it would only apply to a 'streamer' setup though?

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 2

Posted
23 hours ago, JoeShmoe said:

12_204_ukthickness.png.7f08ac71780e026b5

7 minutes ago, JoeShmoe said:

mmm, UKMO showing what was always a worry, that the HP is too far south and we dont really have much of a direct flow off the sea .. time to change though

A35ABD62-E185-459C-A09A-284D34F08CD4.png

Posted
1 hour ago, mardatha said:

So what day is the snow expected to start here for me? Serious question by the way, as I need to get a biggish online grocery shop from Sainsbugs.

I know. I am so banal.

Having been caught out in 2001, I'm seriously thinking along the same lines regarding stocking up on supplies, M. :)

TBH, I hope the incoming blast is not too severe or long-lasting.

Local Meto 7 day forecast is still indicating above zero temps, daytime Monday.

• Like 1

Posted

Nice photos, @CatchMyDrift and @chemikal

Don’t worry folks, I’m working closely with my snow shield technician (and he is the best in Scotland) to find a way to deal with these relentlessly depressing model solutions and preserve the snowfallless winter here in Broughty Ferry. We’re looking at various options including rerouting the worst of it to France and Spain or employing the cold but dry tactic favoured by the likes of @Hairy Celt. If things get bad we may resort to rerouting streamers north and south of here and we’re busy checking on the late Feb/early March sun strength index to see that even if the worst happens and snow does fall from the sky we can ensure it’s during the day and the sun and sea air will prevent any accumulation here on the coast.

Bottom line is....I’ve not given up....even in light of the continued awful model output. 

:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Warm and hazy today... at least that's what I thought till I got out the car to take the pic of the turbines, then the nw breeze cut straight through me! The other pic is looking north from Brora beach.

windfarm.thumb.jpg.8b6030cff58567ac3ec765dd0121b99b.jpg

brora.thumb.jpg.54db38a8cd84036bc766aadba3f0755f.jpg

What's happening next week :whistling:  ??

@chemikal - same class as the goddess Winona? <Swoon> Crikey....

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 5

Posted

Yes it seems a bit surreal watching the model thread for next week on a pleasant but chilly day .We had a fair bit of rain ovenght with water in the hollows of every field so a few dry cold  frosty days will be welcome up to the weekend. Currently clear and 2c

• Like 2

Posted

Cracking drive down to Liverpool, sun warmth really felt. Arrived at hotel and Daff's are in bloom. Saw BBC News weather forecast staring to hint at the cold from the east arriving. Am heading over to Hull tomorrow a week early I think. :oops:

Posted

With a bit of luck may get to take the kids sledging again next week.  Not going to get too excited though as forecasts still have seasonal temps for here next week. Liam Duttons latest tweet expresses notable uncertainty of length and depth of cold spell.  

Posted

Just commented on that on the MO thread :-)

Edited by howham
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

I am in work so just had a quick glance at the 18z GFS and it’s beautiful just beautiful! 

28C1CA7A-AFC4-4131-9990-62C9506F370B.thumb.gif.c9bf0bd4069dc7aa3684af1d3bd0d1a8.gif

• Like 6